Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I was never jealous of people on welfare, until today.

116 posts in this topic

Posted

I said it in another thread and others have echoed these same sentiments:

Welfare/Food Stamps are too easy to get today.

There is no more standing in line. No inconvenience factor. It is all largely done anonymously, so no embarrassment factor either.

Add the inconvenience back in and you'll see some people that don't actually need the assistance dropping off.

Posted

Maybe every month put all welfare recipients names in the local newspaper so that their communities/churches can see that they need help.

Posted

Hey look, its the same welfare thread that pops up every now and then.

You know, the one where everyone bitches about the problems without offering good solutions (and if you're keeping track, a good solution would be one that doesnt cost the government more money like drug testing)

Posted

You know, the one where everyone bitches about the problems without offering good solutions (and if you're keeping track, a good solution would be one that doesnt cost the government more money like drug testing)

You mean like putting photo of recipients on their EBT cards to avoid fraud/selling of benefits AND force businesses to ask for id or lose right to sell products via EBT?

You mean like capping benefits at two children?

You mean like offering depo shots to anyone on welfare that has two kids to help prevent having another kid?

You mean like holding more fathers accountable to the children they are having?

You mean like forcing fathers be on birth certificates so that the state can go directly and garnish wages even if the mother isn't asking for it to compensate the state for taking up their slack in support?

You mean like threatening loss of benefits for children that do not graduate high school?

You mean like threatening loss of benefits for children that break the law (3 strikes)?

You mean like threatening loss of benefits for the children that disrupt classroom and lose benefit for the period they are suspended?

You mean those sorts of reforms?

3 people like this

Posted

Set up an escrow acct where a very small % is set aside for the person to pay back when they work. Treat it like a loan from your 401k. Very very small payment every paycheck to pay back for foodstamps. This would reduce those grubby payday lenders as well.

Posted

You mean like putting photo of recipients on their EBT cards to avoid fraud/selling of benefits AND force businesses to ask for id or lose right to sell products via EBT?

- Solid idea, would cost money to implement but there is definitely potential for savings

- I dont see how this would not end up hurting children

You mean like offering depo shots to anyone on welfare that has two kids to help prevent having another kid?

- Okay, this wont be a popular option so I doubt it saves much. Go for it though

- Sure. Not really anything specific here

You mean like forcing fathers be on birth certificates so that the state can go directly and garnish wages even if the mother isn't asking for it to compensate the state for taking up their slack in support?

- Forced child support? I'm pretty sure thats called "child support"

You mean like threatening loss of benefits for children that do not graduate high school?

- I like this idea. If the kid is dropping out, he better get ready to support himself

You mean like threatening loss of benefits for children that break the law (3 strikes)?

- Need more specifics on this. Could be a good idea if implemented correctly

You mean like threatening loss of benefits for the children that disrupt classroom and lose benefit for the period they are suspended?

- This one is pretty silly, very difficult to enforce and would probably cost more money

Posted

based on the title, i'm right there with you. i too am jealous of the welfare queens at the top of the oil industry, as well as the culture of entitlement within the military

I'm so glad you brought up the oil industry welfare state. Have you ever actually checked the non- subsidized price on alternative fuels? The evil fossil fuel producers are subsidized at a miniscule rate as compared to your green sources, all to pull the wool over less educated folks into believing that the time is now to dump oil/gas/coal. No, I'm afraid the alternative energy lobby is closer to your "welfare queen" than any oil guy.

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm so glad you brought up the oil industry welfare state. Have you ever actually checked the non- subsidized price on alternative fuels? The evil fossil fuel producers are subsidized at a miniscule rate as compared to your green sources, all to pull the wool over less educated folks into believing that the time is now to dump oil/gas/coal. No, I'm afraid the alternative energy lobby is closer to your "welfare queen" than any oil guy.

*shudder*

Every narrow shouldered Sierra club calendar owning liberal just shook and cried when reading that....because it's true.

Posted

You mean those sorts of reforms?

I actually like some of these.

Posted

I have talked to people who would honestly have the gov spend 5 times as much on welfare as long as recipients are tested. It's not about practicality, it's about principle. Welfare is a big one where people don't care about the bottom line, they want to feel better about it.

Posted

Easy for you to say now,

Try working your ass off daily and having your family going hungry and then seeing a totally worthless piece of poo have her fridge piled to the brim with food her fatass will probably throw away later, then we will see what you would rather have happen.

Dude I struggled through some hard times in my earlier years. I worked contruction during the day and worked at Little Caesars at night. I took care of my own as i slowly worked my way up. Its true i've had some breaks along the way that really helped me out. And you know, i may have broken a few laws in doing so. I remember not having enough money for food and pay the power bill so i pulled the meter and jacked the power for a couple weeks until i had the cash to pay. I don't bejudge anyones situation because i don't know their path. Would i want everyone to be honest and truthful? Sure who wouldn't but welfare cheats pale in comparison to say tax cheats, Wall Street crooks and dirty politicians, etc. JMO

Posted

oh no jordans and polo shirts they sure were living high on the hog. what brands of clothing should poor people wear? this reeks of "welfare recipients aren't living in squalor therefore it's basically welfare fraud" and, again, how do you know how and when they obtained that clothing anyway?

also drug testing welfare recipients is really, really dumb. the cost of testing outpaces the money "saved" and by the way, it's unconstitutional.

oh and your "poor black mothers have a lot of kids because they're playing the athlete lottery" stuff doesn't appear to be true as poor people around the world have more kids:

wolfersimage005.jpg

oh and it's held true as far back as the early 1800s:

wolfersimage012.png

i guess "poor AA mothers" have been trying to have a kid go league since they were enslaved. considering the fact that you have a sociology degree, i hope it wasn't one of your sociology professors who suggested that "many AA athletes come from underprivileged, large, poor families. A theory on this is that many of the mothers believe that increasing the amount of children she has will increase or improve her odds of having a child that could develop into a star athlete this resulting in the family moving up in class"

You didn't comprehend my statement. I was analyzing a minority based on the United States as the sociocultural forum. The countries in your cute graph all have different economies, standards of living, laws, etc. Essentially, it's an apples to oranges argument.

When you apply for financial aid for college, one of the questions ask you if you have ever been convicted of selling narcotics while receiving financial aid. Is that unconstitutional? I think just the threat of drug testing recipients could be enough to sway some people.

I understand some people have grown up living off the government and expect hand outs. They're okay just getting by. I also understand some people need help and it's frustrating when you realize your hard earned tax dollars go some lazy person who just wants to reproduce and eat.

You're obviously trying to make this into a racial thing, but I can assure you AA are not the only people who are guilty of this.