Posted Image

#17 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:49 PM

Super 8!!!!

na...for us...all inclusive week in the Mayan Riviera...we love it down there, think you get a great bang for your buck and it's as busy or as relaxing as you want it to be.

seems all my European trips were just go go go.

#18 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,795 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:48 PM

I never really took a vacation, even as a kid. Recently, actually earlier this year. I went on a month long trip with my mom down south of Mexico. Visited Leon, Mexico City and a lot of surrounding places. Got to see the active volcano that's there. Climbed part of it. Went to the holy place that's in Leon actually Guanajuato, GTO that is the second tallest 'Christ' statue in the world. The first being in Brazil, Rode on some horses, never done that before. Visited family I NEVER knew I had, they were amazing and really really nice. Not saying that because it's my family but to me they were complete strangers before the trip. Ate some really delicious mexican food. Traditional meals of course.

Besides seeing a lot of sights and going into the big city. I have to say that meeting my familiy down there was the best part.

#19 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • 10,632 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:25 AM

I'm not a big fan of Italy. The restaurants go really cheap on the food, even outside the tourist areas. You can easily pay 10+ euro for what turns out to be a can of chef boyardee spaghetti or ravioli. You pay double the normal admission to tourist attractions like the Colosseum unless you have an EU passport. It is relatively easy to get around Italy by rail. However, I don't remember seeing trains when I traveled through the mountains in northern Italy. The only beach I went to was Jesolo Beach so I can't really comment on the southern beaches.

#20 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,454 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:44 AM

We make it a point to try something new every year either with our late winter vacation (Feb-Mar) or our late summer/fall vacation (Sep).

Been to several islands in the Caribbean- Aruba is great, but growing quick, very crowded and expensive now. St. Lucia is sweet. Love Cancun, found a couple places outside the hotel district that are unbelievable and very safe for tourists.

But without question, the #1 place on my list is Australia. The west coast (Perth/Freemantle) is gorgeous and the east coast Sydney/Melbourne is big city fun. There's a train that runs between the coasts that I hear is one of the top rated trips in the world.

#21 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,523 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:39 AM

Depends on when you are planning to go. If you decide to go to hawaii stay on one of th outer islands and just take a day trip or two to oahu. Australia has winter during our summer. If you like nature alaska is great in the summer time.

#22 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,870 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:43 AM

My standards are probably a little low, but my honeymoon in the Mayan riviera was pretty awesome.

#23 LifeisaGarden

LifeisaGarden

Bitchassness

• HUDDLER
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:10 AM

My favorite was a three day trip to Gettysburg. But that is not for everyone. :)

As far as something you and your wife might enjoy, I would say Italy or Hawaii. Italy is great with historical sites such as Rome and Pompeii, the romantic with Venice, and incredible scenery along the Amalfi coastal road. Hawaii has great weather, beaches and luaus.

Also getting around in Italy is relatively easy with a Eurorail pass. Although the Italian trains tend to be slow.

We spent a week in Gettysburg and went back a year later on a pass through and spent the weekend there. I loved it and have often thought about going back again. It's pretty emotional for me though.

Best vacation I ever took was a 2 week long car trip from NC to Cali, no plans, just stopping where ever we felt like. We saw beautiful scenery, we got to see the Aquarium of the Americas in New Orleans before Katrina hit, we saw it Snow in texas, we saw the Grand Canyon & Hoover Dam. We spent the night in Palm Springs in a dirty motel that was way overpriced. We saw a giant spider made out of a VW beetle. I think we hit every pothole from here to cali on I-40.

#24 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:25 AM

Aruba is always a good bet

I've been there twice. Great beaches, chill atmosphere

#25 LifeisaGarden

LifeisaGarden

Bitchassness

• HUDDLER
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:01 AM

We also took a 2 week trip from NC to S. Dakota and 2 week trip throughout New England. Both were fantastic trips. It's nice to rent a good sized vehicle to drive. Vacations like this can be done on the cheap too.

#26 Iceberg Slim

Iceberg Slim

Keep it 100

• HUDDLER
  • 2,087 posts
  • Locationwhatcha worried about it for

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

Dominican Republic......me and the wife went last year and had a ball.

#27 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,400 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

Depends on time of year...

I've done the Carribean thing and loved it (when it's cold here).

I've also done the northeast, B&B in Kennebunkport, Boston sights/history, Yanks/RedSox game in the early summer was awesome as well.

I want to do a Hawaii trip, a Euro trip, and an African trip. Have no real desire for Asia at the time. Australia/New Zealand maybe...but not with kids...too much travel and loss of time to deal with...same with Asia.

#28 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,103 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:36 AM

I'm noting a glaring lack of cruise based options. I would have expected one or two.

Again thanks for all of your input. Its spurred some interesting conversations with my wife already and given us some things to consider that we hadn't thought of before.

#29 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,400 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

I've done 3 cruises...

'93 Ecstasy Key West-Cozumel
'96ish Can't recall Carnival shipname - Cozumel, Jamaica, Grand Caymans
'08 RC Monarch of Seas? RC owned bay, Bahamas

I prefer out of all of those the 96 trip...gives you 3 completely different "feels" of the Carribean. Of course the ships feed you like crazy. If just the wife and you...you could probably get a decent deal AND there are ships going out of Charleston, SC now that could save you a huge plane cost. You won't find many western carribean trips out of there...but...it's a start.

Whenever the wife and I travel via cruise, we don't even bother with the paid excursions...we venture out on our own. See life as it is. Walk a lot...learn a lot. Bahamas...just venturing out was fun and finding the fish fry area and just relaxing with beer and awesome food (we'd walked all the way from port to fish fry and had an appetite). Jamaica...things have changed a lot with a few cruiselines pulling out of Ocho Rios. You'll go to either Kingston (south) or Montego Bay (northwest)....so if Dun River falls is something you're into...it's a 2 hour ride from Mobay now....BUT I love Jamaica. High crime IF you go looking for it. I've found the people to be some of the nicest...it's just the culture in certain areas is negative. Caymans is nuts. Beautiful beaches near Hell. We bought our own snorkel stuff so if we see something that looks good, we just put it on and hop in the water.

I like the cruise...multi-destinations because you can burn out in one place on what's available. There's only so many times you can go to Carlos and Charlie's...or the frog dude. I've wanted to plan a mixed cruise/Disney week with the wife/kids to get a feel how they'd handle it yet not locking them into an entire week of one or the other.

You probably aren't seeing a bunch of cruise options because it's what you make of the trip that makes it good....like I said...venturing out at locations is what makes the trip. I want to do a Euro-trop for that exact reason. Just get around to different countries.

#30 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

I've never been on a cruise yet...but many people I talk to said once you go, you'll want to go over and over again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com