• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#31 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,515 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

So when can we start spending money on healthcare like Canada. Because they pay a LOT less per capita

Canadians are generally healthier lifestyle wise than Americans are.

#32 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,515 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

Back to the original subject, part of the reason that Baptist is laying off is due to the Affordable Care act (although its not the only reason). Most of those being laid off are administrative in nature. Also, many medical organizations/alliances are looking at merging to reduce cost in preparation for some of the upcoming changes.

#33 twylyght

twylyght

The picture of how I care

• HUDDLER
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:37 PM

Whats not to get? I'm saying, lets try to copy what other countries who spend less than we do on healthcare do. I want to spend LESS money.

But oh no, I'm a liberal so clearly all I want to do is spend lots and lots of everyone elses money

Posted Image

Yeah clearly the US is just that much better than the rest of the world at healthcare, look at how much bigger our bar is!

You can see that there is a problem, but you have no idea as to why. In the US currently, if you visit the emergency room, you cannot be refused care. Additionally, anyone admitted MUST undergo a LOT of tests just on the off-chance that these extra thousands of dollars will catch something that will keep the hospital that is now providing free care clear of any liability because some jackoff felt it necessary to blow up the entire system for their payday. Why do you think that NC doctors are closing up shop for their practices in droves and not getting replacements to fill the need? Ever seen what malpractice insurance costs?

Lastly, if the rest of the world is so clearly ahead of the game with respect to health care, why do national leaders from those countries end up coming to the US for various procedures?

Nevermind all that though.... you got to have a license to live now.

#34 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,005 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

You can see that there is a problem, but you have no idea as to why. In the US currently, if you visit the emergency room, you cannot be refused care.

here it is. so what's the solution? let people die in the streets because they can't afford the 2K an ER visit runs or understand that this is one of the responsibilities of a first world country and simply budget for the expense of a service we are already providing?

#35 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

You can see that there is a problem, but you have no idea as to why. In the US currently, if you visit the emergency room, you cannot be refused care. Additionally, anyone admitted MUST undergo a LOT of tests just on the off-chance that these extra thousands of dollars will catch something that will keep the hospital that is now providing free care clear of any liability because some jackoff felt it necessary to blow up the entire system for their payday.

Are you saying this problem is unique to the US? I guess it is to some extent because we dont have universal healthcare. What is your solution? I mean this is the reason Obamacare instituted that tax/ penalty for those without insurance

Why do you think that NC doctors are closing up shop for their practices in droves and not getting replacements to fill the need? Ever seen what malpractice insurance costs?

There are plenty of people going into medicine, because despite high malpractice insurance doctors are still some of the highest paid people around (and are higher paid than their international colleagues I might add). Thing is more and more are getting specialties instead of going into general practice. Because you make more money doing that. I wouldnt mind limiting damages in medical cases though

Lastly, if the rest of the world is so clearly ahead of the game with respect to health care, why do national leaders from those countries end up coming to the US for various procedures?

I never said that the rest of the world had better health care. I'm just saying they pay a hell of a lot less for it. And I'm not familiar with any world leaders from first world nations who came here for procedures, though I dont doubt it.

#36 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,740 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

You can see that there is a problem, but you have no idea as to why. In the US currently, if you visit the emergency room, you cannot be refused care. Additionally, anyone admitted MUST undergo a LOT of tests just on the off-chance that these extra thousands of dollars will catch something that will keep the hospital that is now providing free care clear of any liability because some jackoff felt it necessary to blow up the entire system for their payday. Why do you think that NC doctors are closing up shop for their practices in droves and not getting replacements to fill the need? Ever seen what malpractice insurance costs?

Nevermind all that though.... you got to have a license to live now.

The biggest reason is because of our privatized medicine and supersized economy, the US is the most profitable country to be a doctor in. The majority of the brightest and best from the around the world decide to practice inside the US because it's the most profitable place for them to do so.

#37 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,515 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

The biggest reason is because of our privatized medicine and supersized economy, the US is the most profitable country to be a doctor in. The majority of the brightest and best from the around the world decide to practice inside the US because it's the most profitable place for them to do so.

Funny how good pay attracts the best in the world. Fast Forward 25 yrs. We can tell that to our Grandkids on how it used to be.

#38 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,740 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

Funny how good pay attracts the best in the world. Fast Forward 25 yrs. We can tell that to our Grandkids on how it used to be.

Yeah man, it's pretty awesome to have the best doctors for the 50% or so of the population who can afford healthcare - fug everyone else though.

#39 Iceberg Slim

Iceberg Slim

Keep it 100

• HUDDLER
  • 2,087 posts
  • Locationwhatcha worried about it for

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

Prob in NC is shrinking Medicaid reimbursement rates for indigent care, bad behavoir by hospitals to make up the loss. How much you wanna bet the laid off are getting the option of PRN. Look, hospitals run off a 1-3% margin at best. When reimbursement drop, they have to change how they do business. Easy way is to do layoffs and provide PRN contracts for clinical staff. You still get the same level of competence in the job, but avoid the 13% burden of extraneous costs attached to salary..e.g. employment insurance etc. Its a win for the hospital system becuase they reduce costs, and still are able to provide services, and oh, they increase their billing because they now can leverage the PRN folks licenses against unwarrented and eroneous treatment without fear because their employment status has changed. Oh and laterally they are rationalizing, substituting, and standardizing vendors (eliminating smaller vendors) across their supply chain through joing group purchasing organizations (GPO) to leverage their buying capabilities for captial equipment, etc. Resulting in driving out cost in their expenditures, and recieving a larger margin through risk management (eg changing employee status) across the enterprise and all the while increasing bottom line profit...This has been going on for a while, nothing new here......
FWIW,I believe the system recently signed a contract with a GPO out of Texas, for those that know this business, you will know who I am talking about.

#40 twylyght

twylyght

• HUDDLER
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:55 PM

here it is. so what's the solution? let people die in the streets because they can't afford the 2K an ER visit runs or understand that this is one of the responsibilities of a first world country and simply budget for the expense of a service we are already providing?

Ask a triage nurse how many people they get in for the common cold, minor abrasions, etc.

#41 twylyght

twylyght

• HUDDLER
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

Are you saying this problem is unique to the US? I guess it is to some extent because we dont have universal healthcare. What is your solution? I mean this is the reason Obamacare instituted that tax/ penalty for those without insurance

There are plenty of people going into medicine, because despite high malpractice insurance doctors are still some of the highest paid people around (and are higher paid than their international colleagues I might add). Thing is more and more are getting specialties instead of going into general practice. Because you make more money doing that. I wouldnt mind limiting damages in medical cases though

I never said that the rest of the world had better health care. I'm just saying they pay a hell of a lot less for it. And I'm not familiar with any world leaders from first world nations who came here for procedures, though I dont doubt it.

If you wish to truly live free then you MUST assume responsibility for your action/inaction. If you wish to relinquish that freedom, then be forthright about it.

There is NO actual forcing of responsibility with Obamacare. If you can't afford Obamacare, then it is provided for you... EXACTLY THE SAME AS IT IS NOW, except, now the American public that actually pays taxes is now outright paying it as a tax for those that continue to live irresponsibly. The current iteration retains the burden with the taxpayer while adding an unchecked governmental buyer in the market while tacking on the administrative overhead of said "services" while being accountable to no competition in the market.

And NO, the answer to repealing Obamacare is not letting people die in the streets. It didn't happen before these ludicrous policies. It wouldn't happen after. It simply puts the burden back on local community to provide those services for the indigent where people can actually be held accountable for irresponsibility if the behavior is deemed as such.

This notion of fairness is "Harrison Bergeron" come to life and is every bit as unrealistic and unworkable. The current generation continues to live in a fantasy world at the expense of future generations if we can get away with it.

#42 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,515 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

Yeah man, it's pretty awesome to have the best doctors for the 50% or so of the population who can afford healthcare - fug everyone else though.

don't worry, Obamacare will screw the top half so that nobody has good ones.

SUCCESS?

#43 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,814 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:48 PM

Hey twy you forgot to mention the millions of younger healthier people that will have to be responsible and get insurance, which will expand the pool with better risk people, and lower overall costs which is a cornerstone of this plan and which the CBO STILL tells us will reduce government healthcare spending and lower the deficit which I understand is the worst thing ever and all Obamas fault because he can't pass anything to reduce the deficit

#44 Iceberg Slim

Iceberg Slim

Keep it 100

• HUDDLER
  • 2,087 posts
  • Locationwhatcha worried about it for

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:06 PM

don't worry, Obamacare will screw the top half so that nobody has good ones.

SUCCESS?

get some new talking points....

#45 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 22,172 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:03 AM

can we stop comparing the us to homogenized societies? why do we keep falling for the same trap?

i keep saying it over and over again. focus on the uninsured FIRST. see why and who and what is going on. get that under control, THEN let's start diving into the bigger issues of health care.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com