Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NH House votes down gay marriage bill because of religious liberty protection clause

57 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

You mean like....black colleges?

Whites can go to black colleges...but don't expect entrance standards subsidies.

Posted · Report post

You mean like....black colleges?

exactly like them, because they have to admit everyone.

just like the wiccan club at my mom's work had to admit a bunch of frat boys who make fun of them :D

Posted · Report post

You think no whites go to black colleges?

Do these colleges sell themselves as a welcome environment for white people?

Posted · Report post

not the point. The point is they have to obey the law, not obey the law with a smile and a fruit basket.

Posted · Report post

not the point. The point is they have to obey the law, not obey the law with a smile and a fruit basket.

Is that some kind of gay joke? You homophobic......homo.

Posted · Report post

i came into the thread not having a problem with it because yes, churches should be allowed to discriminate all they want. but zod raised a good point with taxes. an organization should not be allowed to be tax exempt and discriminate at the same time. that is in essence government sponsored discrimination.

ditto

can't have cake+eat it

Posted · Report post

Requiring that a group hold certain beliefs in order to be recognized as a valid religion is equal to government infringement on freedom of religion.

It works both ways.

Posted · Report post

Just to clarify, you are ok with churches not marrying interracial couples?

Doesn't matter if he is ok with it. If you force them to do it, then the first amendment is being violated. And fwiw, the tax issue is irrelevant. Should a religion lose its tax exempt status just because it does something that society disagrees with? Mr. Scott is correct.

Posted · Report post

tax exemption for religion is not in the constitution. that is a special privilege. it's not infringing on freedom of religion in the least. it is giving them all the freedom in the world to do what they want, and to pick between keeping discrimination or their special privileges. they're still 100% free to practice their religion as they see fit.

to answer your question, DDII, yes, they should lose it. why shouldn't they?

Posted · Report post

do you guys like the idea of your tax money subsidizing the westborro baptist church's military funeral protests? because by not paying taxes, that's exactly what's happening. you're pulling their weight.

Posted · Report post

tax exemption for religion is not in the constitution. that is a special privilege. it's not infringing on freedom of religion in the least. it is giving them all the freedom in the world to do what they want, and to pick between keeping discrimination or their special privileges. they're still 100% free to practice their religion as they see fit.

to answer your question, DDII, yes, they should lose it. why shouldn't they?

This is a question rodeo... I don't know the answer, which is why I'm asking... obviously it is not in the constitution that churches are tax exempt... why are they, when did that happen?

Posted · Report post

i don't know either. i know it's 501c3. i can't find any info about its origins though.