Photo
- - - - -

Your Opinion on the Target, WalMart, (Other Bigbox Retailer Here) Thanksgiving Protests

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#1 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,778 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:02 PM

I have mixed feelings about the situation. For those of you unaware, as I was until I received an unwanted email from change.org about it the other day prior to finally unsubscribing, lol... Apparently some employees from Target, Walmart, and the like, have been sending around those internet petitions asking people to sign them saying it's unfair that they have to work on Thanksgiving for Black Friday.

The employee from Target actually got so much attention that he was recently featured on Good Morning America and a bunch of other nationally aired shows and gained even more support for it.

Part of me is extremely peeved that I received the email asking for my support for the petition because my first reaction was, "Where was change.org and online petitions when I was working slave jobs from 18-25 or so and was asked to work holidays away from my family?"

What makes these employees anymore deserving to have these holidays off then ones who didn't have the ability to make petitions just 5 years ago?

At the same time, I understand their plight. You don't want to be working at those places when it isn't a holiday, let alone when it is... It sucks.

I don't know... I feel like ultimately, I'm kind of bitter about it and don't think they should be given that time off because there has been years and years worth of employees who had to work those dead end jobs before online petitions came along.

My solution is, if you don't like it, quit. I never gave employers at dead end jobs the feeling that they had control over me or that they could assert any. If I didn't agree with something, I let them know immediately. If we couldn't resolve it, I either quit or they had to fire me. I really didn't care because it wasn't a career and you can get a paycheck from anywhere. You don't like their policies, quit whining and leave.

Stupid spoiled Target employees, lol...

/rant

#2 Guest_Super_Freak_*

Guest_Super_Freak_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:07 PM

They have a job right? With requirements?

#3 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,708 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:10 PM

If they don't want to work, I'll do it. Could use a few extra bucks to make ends meet this month.

#4 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,800 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:32 PM

retail=hours other people don't work

#5 cookinbrak

cookinbrak

tastes like chicken...

• HUDDLER
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:03 AM

retail=hours other people don't work

Hotel=hours other people don't work.

#6 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• HUDDLER
  • 11,191 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:27 AM

I worked at Starbucks on black friday, I had to make sure everyone had their coffee before all big retail stores opened. I did not bitch and seen it as part of my job. People want to work office hours at retail positions? That's not how this works...

#7 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,200 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:36 AM

Posted Image

#8 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,200 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:15 AM

The family unit is important to our nation or so I'm told by pro family politicians. Are families only important until they get in the way of the almighty dollar?

Retail stores would sell just as much during the holidays even if they were all closed Thanksgiving Day. What is wrong with allowing families to be together and not have to worry about racing through a meal to get to work?

Spending several years overseas allowed me to witness a lifestyle no longer available to most people in the US. Where retail stores opened later and closed earlier and didn't open on Sundays at all. Most retailers were closed and home by dinner 5 out of the 6 days they were open.

The lack of convenience was irritating at first coming from the land of the 24 hour Wal Mart, but after adjusting it rarely caused a problem and it was nice to know families got to share some valuable time together.

Time for America to get out of the rat race and join the human race!

#9 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • 10,525 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:04 AM

With unemployment being so high, I think disgruntled employees will be easy to replace.

Have you seen black friday crowds? What do they want to do, go shopping with their families?

#10 Wanderlai

Wanderlai

• HUDDLER
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:06 AM

I think they should get double time on the holidays worked. In WM's case arent there 4-5 Walton heirs in the top 12 richest people in the world. Its the right thing to do. It isnt like WM is going to lose any buisness or money if they paid more on the holidays. That being said, some of the dumbest, clueless, people work at WM.

#11 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:58 AM

thank god I'm going into managerial work

whenever you're on the bottom of the totem pole (i.e. sales associate at Target) you're going to get fuged in the ass when it comes to scheduling.

"Congratulations, you're hired! Oh, by the way, say goodbye to all of your holidays at home, we're your family now"

#12 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:48 AM

thanksgiving day and black friday sales, as well as "big box retailers" in general, encapsulate much of what is wrong with america so i'm ok with the protests

Part of me is extremely peeved that I received the email asking for my support for the petition because my first reaction was, "Where was change.org and online petitions when I was working slave jobs from 18-25 or so and was asked to work holidays away from my family?"

What makes these employees anymore deserving to have these holidays off then ones who didn't have the ability to make petitions just 5 years ago?

congratulations, you have bought into corporate propaganda. yes, be mad at those willing to actually take a stand while you were "working slave jobs from 18-25 or so and were asked to work holidays away from your family" rather than the people who made you do it in the first place.

"where was the government when i was a child laborer from 8 or so? what makes these kids anymore deserving of a childhood devoid of 60 hour work weeks in textile mills than those who didn't have a national child labor committee just 5 years ago?" said great grandpa proudiddy

#13 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• HUDDLER
  • 12,341 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:36 AM

Honestly Christmas shopping could wait one more day. Stupid reason to keep people away from their family.

#14 Guest_Tom Cat_*

Guest_Tom Cat_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:06 AM

Lots of folks work on holidays besides big box employees and you dont see them whining about it.

#15 2jakefansinva

2jakefansinva

Coach Jack Bolton

• HUDDLER
  • 4,592 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:08 AM

how come nobody protested 20 years ago when.........

it was only Convenience stores and Chinese restaurants open on turkey day?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.