#47 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,517 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

Isn't that cute. What year is this...

the cartoon wouldn't really be directly relevant in a thread on theology or the place of religion in society, etc., but it fits rather well in a thread about the alleged war on christmas, because it specifically addresses notions of "hijacking the holiday" which is what christmas as a traditional celebration essentially did. the current date does not take away from the power of the point being made.

#48 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:11 PM

I don't know of a single atheist offended by hearing "merry christmas".

I can understand a Jew or Muslim being offended by hearing "merry christmas".

I cannot understand a Christian being upset over NOT hearing "merry christmas".

It's not offensive unless you choose to find it offensive. Just like EVERY "offensive" thing. I can be offended by a woman not allowing me to open a door or get a chair, but it doesn't mean it IS offensive.

There is no war on Christmas, except maybe that Xians hijacked a lot of pagan traditions and the virgin birth story and all that. That's the real issue here. Yeah, Jesus is the reason for the season. You know, the season...where everybody puts pagan fertility symbols in their houses and exchange AND covet material things (something Jesus was supposedly ACTIVELY opposed to). Yep. That season.

#49 Mrs Pantherfan

Mrs Pantherfan

Lusting on Zod

• HUDDLER
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:03 PM

anyone who is seriously offended by hearing either one...should be swiftly dick kicked or c*nt punched...I mean c'mon...there are so many more important things to fuging worry about in this world

I honestly don't see what's so Merry or Happy about it anyways anymore..people are more rude..more in a hurry and more fuging assholish this time of year anyways...

#50 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

I always thought "happy holidays" referred to Christmas and New Years. Cause unless you're going to see that person in the week between both holidays you might as well wish them happiness in both

#51 Mrs Pantherfan

Mrs Pantherfan

Lusting on Zod

• HUDDLER
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

I always thought "happy holidays" referred to Christmas and New Years. Cause unless you're going to see that person in the week between both holidays you might as well wish them happiness in both

I agree..you can throw Thanksgiving in there too...Happy Holidays rolls it all into one

#52 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

No! NO! Stop it! You have to single out Christmas in that! Say Merry Christmas and Happy New Years separately! And Thanksgiving is a month before both, so you can't do that! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

/overzealous Christian

#53 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,559 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

One of the girls here at the office was bitching during a work Happy Hour about how they're calling it the "Company Holiday Party" instead of the "Company Christmas Party" and how much BS that was and the people who didn't like Christmas need to either get over it or get out.

Just so happened that two of our company founders were at the table, silently taking it all in. Somebody finally pulled this girl aside to clue her in that the founders' last names, Edelstein and Cohen, were not exactly Irish.

#54 Mrs Pantherfan

Mrs Pantherfan

Lusting on Zod

• HUDDLER
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

hahahahah that's funny...she definitely deserves a coot kick

I just don't understand why this upsets people so much...

#55 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,559 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

I think for most people it's not as offensive as much as it's a blatant reminder that they're not really included regardless on when their holiday is.

I don't think you should say Happy Holidays out of fear. I think you should say it out of respect for others that are very much a part of our country.

#56 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,136 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

anyone who is seriously offended by hearing either one...should be swiftly dick kicked or c*nt punched...I mean c'mon...there are so many more important things to fuging worry about in this world

I honestly don't see what's so Merry or Happy about it anyways anymore..people are more rude..more in a hurry and more fuging assholish this time of year anyways...

QFT

#57 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,101 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:31 PM

A super solstice to you all.

#58 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

Those of you who implied about Christians celebrating Jesus' birthday on the 25th having pagan roots, are right. Jesus certainly wasn't born on the 25th of Dec. It was most likely European Christians who have converted from other religions, tried to ease their new beliefs into some of their old ones. Christmas today is the result of a blend of traditions.

I think it would be cool (but not necessary by any means) if we celebrated Jesus' birth on another day, and let the 25th of December be a celebration as usual. (Just without the name) Happy Holidays would be fine. As for the day Jesus was actually born, again we don't know. Yet we do know that the Jewish feast days are God's appointed days. They mark important events in Jewish history, and also (if your Christian) marked days on which important things would happen in the future. For instance, the Passover is an appointed time marking the day the lamb was sacrificed and the blood was put on the door posts of the Israelites, so God's judgment would pass them over. It also marked the day Jesus died and sacrificed Himself on the cross. Fifty days later is the feast of Pentecost. This marks the day the Ten Commandmets was given, and it also marks the day the Spirit was given to the Church. Now if you follow the pattern, these feasts were memorials for certain events, and it was also markers for future events. I believe, and as well as others, Jesus was most likely born on one of these feast days. Probably during the Feast of Tabernacles. (Which is in September I believe)

So even though we don't know for sure, I think it would be really cool if we (Christians) celebrated Jesus' birth on the same day as the Feast of Tabernacles. For one it would distance the molding in of other religious roots with celebrating it on the 25th, and it would give us Christians a genuine day to celebrate the day Jesus was born. I mean when I and many other think of Christmas, the first thoughts we have is what present are we going to get our family members and those we care about, not necessarily Jesus' birth and gift for all men/women. So I'm kind of interested now about this, how many of you (Christians) would like to celebrate Jesus on the Feast of Tabernacles? Not only is it more in line with our faith (as mentioned about God's feast days and appointments), but it frees those who aren't Christians to celebrate the holidays without religion being involved.

#59 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,752 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:56 PM

I think I've read that Jesus was really born around the end of July.

My Chiropractor is Indian and Hindu, he was playing Christmas music in his office today, we talked about it for a while and neither of us could figure out what the big deal was.

Even though Christians are supposed to be "fishers of men", that doesn't mean you have to ram it down their throats. If someone wants to talk about religion and or Christianity I'm more than happy to share what I know, but I can't stand people who walk around and just ask you, "You been saved?"

#60 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

A super solstice to you all.

and a superior solstice to you good sir.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com