Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bob Costas is a Troll

185 posts in this topic

Posted

you forgot the best one...

piratesarecool4.gif

mntn%20range.jpg

Posted

I hear ya, I'm not talking as much about an emotional personal argument against gun control but a logical argument for why banning handguns is unconstitutional but banning grenades, rpgs, etc. etc. is not.

I would go with that amount of damage inflicted is much greater with a RPG vs a Semi-Auto rifle and I am not ignorant with where that sentiment will take this conversation.

Also a RPG/grenade/TOW isn't a firearm per-say.

Despite the opinion of many people in this thread I am not without a grain of logic on this thing.

But, its easier for them to paint me as a crazy gun nut, so that's the route people go.

Posted

I image googled correlation does not imply causation and clicked on this picture and it took me to stormfront

lol

day 43...my cover is blown.

1 person likes this

Posted

causation-correlation.jpg

e: sort of a repost but worth it for the poe in fig. 2

Posted

I would go with that amount of damage inflicted is much greater with a RPG vs a Semi-Auto rifle and I am not ignorant with where that sentiment will take this conversation.

Also a RPG/grenade/TOW isn't a firearm per-say.

Despite the opinion of many people in this thread I am not without a grain of logic on this thing.

But, its easier for them to paint me as a crazy gun nut, so that's the route people go.

FTR, I don't think you're a gun nut. I'm just interested in your reasoning. I don't have a solid opinion yet on guns or abortion and am trying to educate myself so I can actually form a reasonable opionion which ever way it takes me.

Dan Carlin (You're a libertarian, i'm sure you know him)has a decent podcast on it but that's just one guys view point.

Posted

gun-ownership-declining1.png

As Kurb said, gun violence is going down.

Posted

I don't care what anyone says that fuging mountain is affecting the murder rate

Posted

preventionEDIT-thumb-600x463-40174.jpg

Firearm deaths are significantly lower in states with stricter gun control legislation. Though the sample sizes are small, we find substantial negative correlations between firearm deaths and states that ban assault weapons (-.45), require trigger locks (-.42), and mandate safe storage requirements for guns (-.48).

While the causes of individual acts of mass violence always differ, our analysis shows fatal gun violence is less likely to occur in richer states with more post-industrial knowledge economies, higher levels of college graduates, and tighter gun laws. Factors like drug use, stress levels, and mental illness are much less significant than might be assumed.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/01/the-geography-of-gun-deaths/69354/#

Posted

It's like talking to 13 year olds.

If Panthro gets to eye roll at my links, I feely 100% in my rights to eye roll at a page that proudly presents a graph with a category called "McCain Vote Share".

Posted

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/local/central-virginia/gun-related-violent-crimes-drop-as-gun-sales-soar-in/article_54cca13a-35ee-11e2-83f0-0019bb30f31a.html

Gun-related violent crime in Virginia has dropped steadily over the past six years as the sale of firearms has soared to a new record, according to an analysis of state crime data with state records of gun sales.

The total number of firearms purchased in Virginia increased 73 percent from 2006 to 2011. When state population increases are factored in, gun purchases per 100,000 Virginians rose 63 percent.

But the total number of gun-related violent crimes fell 24 percent over that period, and when adjusted for population, gun-related offenses dropped more than 27 percent, from 79 crimes per 100,000 in 2006 to 57 crimes in 2011.

The numbers appear to contradict a long-running popular narrative that more guns cause more violent crime, said Virginia Commonwealth University professor Thomas R. Baker, who compared Virginia crime data for those years with gun-dealer sales estimates obtained by the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

Because rifles and shotguns are used far less often to commit violent crimes, Baker said, one could argue that the purchase of those types of weapons is falsely inflating the total gun purchases in relation to total gun crime.

So Baker also examined the relationship between handgun purchases and handgun-related crime. He found a similar trend.

Handgun purchases in Virginia increased 112 percent from 2006 to 2011, but violent crimes committed with handguns fell by nearly 22 percent. When adjusted for population increases, handgun purchases rose a little more than 100 percent, but violent crimes committed with handguns dropped 26 percent, according to Baker's analysis.

Baker said this general pattern remains even if all crimes reported to police where the gun type was unknown are assumed to be handguns.

"In fact, if all unknown gun types used in violent gun crimes are assumed to have been handguns, then handgun-related violent crime decreased just over 24 percent from 2006 to 2011," he said.

Posted

Telling y'all keep listing "gun sales" as evidence of increasing gun ownership.

Posted

It's like talking to 13 year olds.

If Panthro gets to eye roll at my links, I feely 100% in my rights to eye roll at a page that proudly presents a graph with a category called "McCain Vote Share".

So you're contesting what statistic exactly?