Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SCP

Charlotte is the worst sports town in the galaxy

74 posts in this topic

typically "good" sports towns are full of intolerable assholes

Philly, Boston, pittsbugh, detroit, ny, chicago

you can have it

They absolutely have their share of a$$holes but that is definitely no where near the majority of the fanbase. Of course I haven't been to all of those cities on game day or spent much time in them to give an honest opinion but I have in a couple of them and give me the game day atmosphere of any of those cities over what is here in Charlotte all day long even as a visiting fan. So I am curious which of those cities you have lived in or attended games in to form this opinion?

I am not bashing Charlotte because I absolutely love this city for so many reasons and have no desire to live anywhere else but to choose Charlotte as a sports town over any one of those cities is ludicrous in my opinion. Sports are meant to be entertaining and it is entertaining in those cities because of their intolerable fanbases and the passion that comes with it. I think Charlotte will become "intolerable" to visiting fanbases with a winning tradition from either the Bobcats or Panthers, I just hope I am still here to soak it all in because it will be fun.

The OP sounds like a bitter asshole.

1 person likes this

The irony of this post is astounding BTW.

LOL

typically "good" sports towns are full of intolerable assholes

Philly, Boston, pittsbugh, detroit, ny, chicago

you can have it

QFT.

It could be worst.... We could be Cleveland

This + 1000

Or fugging Raiders

No greater example than the crowd erupting in cheers when JR Smith hit the game winner last night against our Bobcats.

Just embarrassing.

No greater example than the crowd erupting in cheers when JR Smith hit the game winner last night against our Bobcats.

Just embarrassing.

God that was awful.

So that makes LA a bad sports city? I don't see the coorelation. Pittsburgh Steeler, Dallas Cowboy, NY Yankees, Boston Red Sox, etc have simlar fanbases and I certainly wouldn't call those cities bad "sports towns".

I never got that you need to have ties to a city to be a fan of a team. I totally get that people in their 30's and 40's are Steeler, Cowboy, Laker, Celtic fans because I am in my late 30's and growing up as a kid that is who everyone saw on TV every weekend regardless of where you lived so people chose sides. Many people chose sides and stuck with those teams no matter where they live and have passed their love of the teams onto their kids. I dunno....it just doesn't bother me like it does some, I am just on the side of you can cheer for whoever the fug you want and for any reason you want. Besides, many of those people are usually easy to make look like a fool when debating sports.

what? i'm talking about the reach of the dallas cowboys fanbase being similar to the reach of the lakers', not necessarily LA's quality as a sports town.

That is because a large portion of our fan base are NC State fans.

Where is your basis for this statement? If anything its that a large portion of the fan base are UNC fans and everyone knows that UNC fans are fair weather fans.

So that makes LA a bad sports city? I don't see the coorelation. Pittsburgh Steeler, Dallas Cowboy, NY Yankees, Boston Red Sox, etc have simlar fanbases and I certainly wouldn't call those cities bad "sports towns".

Fwiw, I was being somewhat facetious with my first post. I don't really think that LA is a bad sports city, nor do I think that Charlotte is a bad sports city. Charlotte is just a lot smaller than most of the cities it is being compared to.

When I was growing up in NC, there was every bit as much fanatcism about sports as I saw in other areas when I got older and moved away. The difference was what sports they were fanatics about. I rarely if ever heard any conversations about the pro sports league. Everything was Duke/UNC/Wake/NCSU first, then NASCAR, occassionally college football, and then the pro sports.

Since Charlotte is a much smaller city than LA or NY or Philly, the Panthers have to draw fans from all over North and South Carolina. And since the fans in these states are nowhere near as devoted to the Panthers as they are to UNC or Clemson in South Carolina, they are not going to drive 2-3 hours to see a team that is as bad as we have been since 2008. The larger cities have several million people that can ride a subway to see their teams, so even if the teams suck, they still have a decent shot at filling up the stadium. And not only the stadiums, but the bars surrounding the stadiums.

But if UNC played basketball in the Bobcats arena, they would likely sellout just about ACC game. And if any fans of opposing teams showed up, they would likely have to pay significantly more for the tickets than they would going to a Panthers game.

That might make Charlotte a bad NFL town, but it doesn't make it a bad sports town.

Better than Buffalo

You misspelled "Huntersville"

1 person likes this