Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guns vs. Knives

49 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Since they're both on the Tinderbox front page it's hard to not make the comparison.

This morning kind of sheds light on the argument that "if there were no guns, people would find a way! They'd kill each other with knives or spears!"

Two rampages on the same morning. About 30 kids attacked at schools.

Man using a gun: 22-30 dead.

Man using a knife: 0 dead

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/12/14/china-knife-attack-school.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57559229/child-gunman-dead-in-conn-elementary-school-shooting/

Posted · Report post

But but guns don't kill people, well by that logic neither do missiles so they should be legal too.

Idk the answer but we need to figure something out because these mass shootings are happening more frequently. I may be mistaken but I think I read murders are down, mass shootings are up.

Posted · Report post

I don't frequent the tinderbox often, but it's really hard to see weapons as the core issue here. To me there is something rooted much deeper the way our society works in 2012 than the way it once did.

What it is? Well you could speculate on a ton of different things, but weapons have been around in the US for a while, and this problem is getting worse.

I think trying control weaponry of any kind is just the easy way out to a darker deep seeded issue that is manifesting itself in many more ways than just these mass killings. Bullying, for instance, among many other things, can be found to be birthed out of a pretty similar attitude to the killers in these tragedies have, and that's just one example.

Posted · Report post

All in all I'm saying weapon restriction is the lazy way of dealing with an issue that has caused many more problems than just weapon related ones.

It sure as heck doesn't lop the head off the hydra.

Posted · Report post

I don't understand the defeatist attitude. Just because we can't eradicate events like today doesn't mean we shouldn't do everything in our power to limit them happening.

Posted · Report post

Yeah. It is a cumulative problem, but that doesn't mean we should say "Well there's more than 1 issue so do nothing about any of them."

At the very least, it's worth acknowledging that the thing all of these mass murderers have in common is that it was way too easy for them to kill dozens of people.

How can we make it harder?

Posted · Report post

I don't frequent the tinderbox often, but it's really hard to see weapons as the core issue here. To me there is something rooted much deeper the way our society works in 2012 than the way it once did.

What it is? Well you could speculate on a ton of different things, but weapons have been around in the US for a while, and this problem is getting worse.

I think trying control weaponry of any kind is just the easy way out to a darker deep seeded issue that is manifesting itself in many more ways than just these mass killings. Bullying, for instance, among many other things, can be found to be birthed out of a pretty similar attitude to the killers in these tragedies have, and that's just one example.

Actually it's not getting worse. I heard an interview on the way home with a psychologist that said mass murders are about the same as they've always been. I haven't confirmed that with any kind of data but he seemed to be a reputable source.

What has changed is the media coverage and the amount of people dying per incident.

Posted · Report post

Dying per incident is the operative phrase here.

Posted · Report post

If the school collapsed and killed 30 kids, we'd look into everything involving school construction, have 200 congressional inquiries on the building of schools, etc

30 kids get shot by a maniac? What a tragedy. Guess that's just America, nowadays. Aw shucks.

Want to start to reduce firearms in America? Require licensing and registration on them every year, just like a car. Heck, require liability insurance on those bad boys and watch the magic of the free market at work.

Posted · Report post

If the school collapsed and killed 30 kids, we'd look into everything involving school construction, have 200 congressional inquiries on the building of schools, etc

30 kids get shot by a maniac? What a tragedy. Guess that's just America, nowadays. Aw shucks.

Want to start to reduce firearms in America? Require licensing and registration on them every year, just like a car. Heck, require liability insurance on those bad boys and watch the magic of the free market at work.

Both good ideas. Liability insurance, especially.

Liability for life, even in the event of theft. If you're going to have a mass murder instrument, it's time to take personal responsibility for it, and that doesn't stop because you didn't secure it well enough and someone took it.

Posted · Report post

We rush for something to blame, as long as it isn't the batshit crazy person who committed the crime.

Posted · Report post

definitely not a problem that all of these "batshit crazy people" keep ending up with guns and killing dozens of people at a time