Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Person: Jackson, Shurmer, Shula finalists for OC job

142 posts in this topic

Posted

Well, for starters, he took his team to the Super Bowl shortly after embarrassing us. Now, let's compare that to say Shula, or Shurmur...

I would prefer Whis to Jackson, but like both miles better than either of the "S" candidates.

Not to disparage Whisenhunt, but in fairness that was against John "my cornerbacks are assigned to the left and right side no matter where the other team's best receiver lines up" Fox.

Posted

I for one, hope it is Pat Shurmur.

Posted

I for one, hope it is Pat Shurmur.

I gotta ask why :unsure:

Posted

I gotta ask why :unsure:

As do I.

Please, enlighten us.

Posted

I think Jackson or Shula would do a good job. It is funny that people go back to 1999 to say Shula wasn't very good in Tampa so there should be issues. That was 13 years ago. I wonder if he has learned anything since then?? Seems to have done a pretty good job with Newton. Didn't Rivera say that much of Cam's development was credited to Shula's work with him. If Jackson takes the job and Shula leaves because he was not given the job we will be replacing him as well. Who knows if the next guy would be better than Shula. Might be another Rip Scherer who actually hurt Jake more than he helped him.

Posted

I think Jackson or Shula would do a good job. It is funny that people go back to 1999 to say Shula wasn't very good in Tampa so there should be issues. That was 13 years ago. I wonder if he has learned anything since then?? Seems to have done a pretty good job with Newton. Didn't Rivera say that much of Cam's development was created to Shula's work with him. If Jackson takes the job and Shula leaves because he was not given the job we will be replacing him as well. Who knows if the next guy would be better than Shula. Might be another Rip Scherer who actually hurt Jake more than he helped him.

Shula already mentioned he'd be ok with staying on as QB coach. So, Jackson as OC and Shula QB coach. Win-win. Shurmur shouldn't even be in the discussion.

Posted

He is great with quarterbacks, that's his thing. We have personnel to adjust to what he wants to do, and I believe he would work wonders with Cam.

Posted

Posted this in another thread, but yea, it still applies.

It's time to take Cam's development to the next level now. Get an OC in there that will play a more balanced pro style offense where the whole team is involved. Instead of this bullshit college offense Chud's been running where Cam is supposed to be the entire offense.

Out of the known candidates we've interviewed Jackson is the best option. I don't believe in his third year with the team if he's(Shula*) ready for all of that, and there's no reason to hire Shurmur unless Pickles is starting next season.

*Edit, I was typing this up from my phone.

Posted

Not to disparage Whisenhunt, but in fairness that was against John "my cornerbacks are assigned to the left and right side no matter where the other team's best receiver lines up" Fox.

Fine, but he also beat a heavily favored Atlanta team and a heavily favored Eagles team before losing a close contest to the Steelers in the Super Bowl.

Again, compare that to our other candidates and tell me he shouldn't get a look if interested.

Posted

He is great with quarterbacks, that's his thing. We have personnel to adjust to what he wants to do, and I believe he would work wonders with Cam.

Oh, we do not have the right personnel for a West Coast Offense, and I'm not just talking about Newton.

Our receiving corps and tight end group are dominated by longball guys. And honestly our O-Line isn't really built for that either.

We'd need a major retooling to run that kind of attack effectively.

Posted

Jackson has to be the choice. He has the best resume and fits our system better than anyone else and allows Shula to continue to work with Cam.

Posted

Anyway we could just hook a game console up to a headset and have Madden call the plays?