#1 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,362 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

From the "no favoritism" story (link)

Turns out former Giants GM Ernie Accorsi was actually on board with the Panthers before Hurney was even fired.

Hurney asked him to take a look at the roster and analyze the team's recent drafts. To be clear, it wasn't a favor. It was a paid consulting job.

That tells me a couple of things...

One, I think Marty Hurney was starting to realize he was in over his head when it came to player evaluation.

Two, irony of ironies, Hurney wound up inviting the guy who would eventually choose his replacement.

The story also covers the process Accorsi went through, confirming again that interim GM Brandon Beane was never an actual candidate.

And here's a positive. Accorsi has offered to help new GM Dave Gettleman if he needs it. Gettleman expressed a willingness to accept any advice offered.

That boosts my confidence.

#2 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,015 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

Player evaluation is something that has been sorely lacking in the Panthers org. We've nailed our 1st round picks, but really how hard is that? Pick BPA and you are generally good to go... otherwise (with some exceptions of course) our mid - low round picks haven't been that great...

#3 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,714 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

Hurney brought in his own Bobs. Teh. Awesome.

#4 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 18,235 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

I wouldn't say I'm missing it Bob

#5 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,362 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

Player evaluation is something that has been sorely lacking in the Panthers org. We've nailed our 1st round picks, but really how hard is that? Pick BPA and you are generally good to go... otherwise (with some exceptions of course) our mid - low round picks haven't been that great...

Guess that's what you get when you hire a sportswriter/cap manager to build your roster.

This is why I severely doubt the notion that Brandon Beane will be groomed as an eventual replacement. We've been down that road already and it didn't lead to a good place.

Hurney brought in his own Bobs. Teh. Awesome.

:lol:

#6 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,713 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

I know Hurney did this before. Not with Accorsi, but some other evaluation firm that would come in, take a look at our roster, and give an evaluation of it's strength.

I can't remember right now who it was, but I seem to remember it was a father/son team.

#7 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 18,235 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

I'd like to move us right along to a David Gettleman. Now we had a chance to meet this young man, and boy that's just a straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

#8 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 16,281 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

Which is why it's always been the most baffling and annoying thing to me about our fanbase that they're so obsessed with trading down. There's barely a mock draft posted here without some weird trade down scenario.

Because who needs Luke Kuechly when you could have 4 Dan Connors?

#9 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,362 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

I know Hurney did this before. Not with Accorsi, but some other evaluation firm that would come in, take a look at our roster, and give an evaluation of it's strength.

I can't remember right now who it was, but I seem to remember it was a father/son team.

Not sure who.

I know we had a 'father-son' connection of sorts. Hurney's mentor was Bobby Beathard, and Hurney hired Beathard's son as a scout. Far as I know, he's still with us.

#10 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 6,427 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

I'm pretty sure Hurney just used a draft guide from Harris Teeter...the early ones.. Duke Robinson and Everett Brown . Early draft guides had them in the top 15 at one point.

#11 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,362 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

Which is why it's always been the most baffling and annoying thing to me about our fanbase that they're so obsessed with trading down. There's barely a mock draft posted here without some weird trade down scenario.

Because who needs Luke Kuechly when you could have 4 Dan Connors?

Learned response from watching Hurney, perhaps? Hurney did use the Beathard model (trade away first rounders and such).

Could also be from watching the Patriots. They like to use the 'stockpiling picks' approach. Though in reality the Patriots drafts overall are kind of overrated. They've had some hits, but also more misses than people think.

#12 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,713 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

Not sure who.

I know we had a 'father-son' connection of sorts. Hurney's mentor was Bobby Beathard, and Hurney hired Beathard's son as a scout. Far as I know, he's still with us.

I'll try to find something on it later if I have time. I remember they had a system where they would rate players like A, B, C. etc. with A being a player who would start anywhere and should be considered a franchise building block, B was very good, etc.

They would come in once a year to give Hurney a 2nd set of eyes on the quality of our roster.

#13 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,160 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

i hope he stays on for a while. the more help we can get, the better.

i just wish that rivera would have tried harder to get help. it's not enough to recognize you need help. you have to do something about it. hurney realized that too late and waited too long to act. I've got a fear that might be the same with rivera.

#14 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 16,281 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

Learned response from watching Hurney, perhaps? Hurney did use the Beathard model (trade away first rounders and such).

Could also be from watching the Patriots. They like to use the 'stockpiling picks' approach. Though in reality the Patriots drafts overall are kind of overrated. They've had some hits, but also more misses than people think.

The Pats are also a case of just plugging make-do pieces around their brilliant core. Hell, they could have probably gotten enough out of Eric Shelton to have success. So they can get away with loading midround talent, whereas we didn't have that core in place until Cam got here.

#15 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 7,171 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

The worst part of this story is not so much what happened in the past, but the current state of affairs.

When the previous GM brought in another GM because he was in over his head, them the other GM turns into the search committee for the next GM. Then the new GM calls in another GM shortly after taking the job because he's having a difficult time figuring out just how screwed they are going forward.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com