Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Happy Panther

Black Keys absurd copyright lawsuit

34 posts in this topic

no it isn't. You can't copyright "garage-rock-blues" just because a certain type of people are using it for certain things.

no it isn't. You can't copyright "garage-rock-blues" just because a certain type of people are using it for certain things.

No, but if they take essentially the same song and copy it, changing only one thing that's a problem... I agree that the "music style copyright" thing is BS.

No, but if they take essentially the same song and copy it, changing only one thing that's a problem... I agree that the "music style copyright" thing is BS.

that's not the way it works... i deal with stock music all the time... they can't mimic something that closely legally. It usually sounds like garbage and all it's really intended to do is remind you of the song in question... Every f*cking blues song in the world sounds the same... you can't write a blues song that hasn't already been written... the fact that the black keys think they can add distortion and suddenly they own it is absurd.

There's a current running car ad(I think) that is exactly Adele's Someone like you. There's no melody, just the chord changes, but it sounds like they just took out the singing track from the song and ran with it.

Meshuggah could single handedly end the djent genre... lol

...and none of you know wtf I'm talking about...

This reminds me of Tom Waits & Applebees but mirroring TW is a little more obvious than Black Keys.

The Raconteurs or Howlin Rain could claim the same thing honestly with this song. Its genre influenced not a straight up copy or anything.

looks like we have 2 pages of "everyone rips off everyone anyway" so i don't need to get into that. i guess my question for the people who say that and still believe in intellectual property rights is "just how much does a song need to be changed before it's no longer IP?"

also how much of a book needs to be changed before i should be able to sell it without being sued?

Would this not fall under parody laws?