#1 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,949 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

Way to screw local tax payers...

An Alaska borough stuck with a $90,000 monthly bill for maintaining a ferry it can't use is offering the $78 million vessel free to any government entity — federal, state or local — that will have it.
The Matanuska-Susitna Borough also will consider selling the ferry, the 200-foot Susitna, for pennies on the dollar to a private company. The borough appealed for a taker last week with a letter to the Passenger Vessel Association, a trade group for companies that operate ferries, dinner cruises, tour boats and gambling boats.
"We're trying to hook a buyer, and those are folks who might be using or needing ferries," said borough spokeswoman Patty Sullivan.
If sold to a private entity, Sullivan said, the borough is seeking $7 million to cover the cost of paying back federal grants that may have to be reimbursed if the ferry is not used for municipal public transportation.
The largest communities in the Matanuska-Susitna Borough are about an hour's drive from Anchorage over a sometimes icy highway. Mat-Su officials have long dreamed of shortening the commute with a two-mile crossing over Knik Arm, a finger of saltwater separating Alaska's most populous area with one that has room to grow.
The borough more than a decade ago sought help from the federal government.
Former U.S. Sen. Ted Stevens, R-Alaska, promoted a plan to have a ferry funded by the Defense Department. The Navy paid for the vessel as a high-speed prototype of an amphibious landing craft for northern climates. Prototypes often are scrapped, Sullivan said, but in this case, a deal was struck for the boat to move Alaska commuters as the Navy monitored how it performed.
The catamaran can carry 120 passengers and 20 vehicles.
Sullivan rode on it two years ago and was impressed. She described it as highly agile and able to stay smooth in swells.
"One of the crewmen said, "This ship — the sea passes it by," she said.
It's not an icebreaker but it's designed to handle ice.
"If can lift two feet of ice and snap it over its bow," she said. "It's a great little ship and somebody's going to find a great deal."
A shipyard in Ketchikan built the Susitna. It remains in that city near the tip of the Alaska Panhandle because the borough has no money to build $15 million landing sites on both sides of the proposed ferry route. Also, the boat would be too expensive to operate, Sullivan said.
It's been expensive simply to own. Borough taxpayers took title to the vessel in August and have been on the hook for monthly expenses of $8,000 to $9,000 for moorage, $33,000 for operation and maintenance costs, which includes keeping a crew on board, and a whopping $44,000 for insurance.
Officials redoubled efforts to rid the borough of the vessel after borough assembly members this month narrowly rejected ending additional maintenance payments.
Sullivan said the borough has received expressions of interest internationally. The vessel's ability to operate in icy waters should make in useful in the north, she said.
"I still think it has a use in Alaska," Sullivan said.

http://news.yahoo.co...-222717872.html

#2 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,730 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

Hey, let's get a ferry that has no docks, no money to run and is not really needed...

FEDS: "That's a great idea!"

#3 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 7,974 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

Our government is so efficiently run!

I am so happy for them to rape my paychecks every two weeks!

Those guys in the Capitol sure are looking out for the best interests of me and my country!

I am very excited for added beuracracy to be introduced into my healthcare!

Banning the weapons that were used in less than one % of murders last year seems like a really good start!

#4 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,730 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

Our government is so efficiently run!

I am so happy for them to rape my paychecks every two weeks!

Those guys in the Capitol sure are looking out for the best interests of me and my country!

I am very excited for added beuracracy to be introduced into my healthcare!

Banning the weapons that were used in less than one % of murders last year seems like a really good start!

Yeah, it's a good thing that they have all those wonderful taxes like the death tax, so they can pay for really useful stuff like this...

#5 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 7,974 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

Yeah, it's a good thing that they have all those wonderful taxes like the death tax, so they can pay for really useful stuff like this...

I seriously question the sanity of folks who like the idea of raising taxes on anyone. Washington is so ridiculously corrupt.....just so sad.

#6 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

An Alaska problem is Washington's fault? Looks like a navy funded prototype that was handed over to Alaska, since it probably would be scrapped anyway, and now Alaska can't afford it. Am I missing something here? Corruption? Taxes? What?

#7 Salvo

Salvo

BEWB

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

Alaska is notorious for throwing money around. They had that bridge to nowhere a few years ago that one of their senators caught heat for. Also had a pretty big corruption scandal 10 years ago. I guess they feel the need to make up for the bargain of a deal we made with the Ruskies.

Those long winter nights and summer days will drive people crazy.

#8 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,120 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

An Alaska problem is Washington's fault? Looks like a navy funded prototype that was handed over to Alaska, since it probably would be scrapped anyway, and now Alaska can't afford it. Am I missing something here? Corruption? Taxes? What?

No you are not. Initially, it seemed like combining both goals into one ship was a good way to save money and eliminate waste. Unfortunately, after numerous changes to the original engineering plans by the Navy, the vessel was no longer practical as a ferry. Even if the Matsu Borough had somehow convinced the City of Anchorage to agree to a docking facility, it would have been too small and inefficient to be commercially viable. That is likely the reason why no other agency has come forward to claim it. At this point they would do well to cut their losses and sell the ferry for salvage.

#9 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,120 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

Alaska is notorious for throwing money around. They had that bridge to nowhere a few years ago that one of their senators caught heat for. Also had a pretty big corruption scandal 10 years ago. I guess they feel the need to make up for the bargain of a deal we made with the Ruskies.

Those long winter nights and summer days will drive people crazy.

This state has certainly had it's share of large scale boondoggles. Part of it is due to being "The Last Frontier" the state just lacks a lot of infrastructure that more well established states have had for generations. The other part is many of these large projects seem to be generated by and for those in power. It is not uncommon for the local and state politicians to be caught, directly or indirectly, with their hands in the cookie jar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.