Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PhillyB

marxism

27 posts in this topic

^ cool

That was great.

I dont have a good grasp of Marxism. Its a topic that interest me as well. These videos are in my near future. Maybe this website will be a useful tool for you.

i think you forgot something :)

http://oyc.yale.edu/sociology/socy-151#sessions

Oops

Philly B, you are alright with me. I am not particularly a fan of marxism, or I guess capitalism either for that matter prefering to instead be self-employed. But few people on this site are open to new ideas and that is uplifting to see.

Philly B, you are alright with me. I am not particularly a fan of marxism, or I guess capitalism either for that matter prefering to instead be self-employed. But few people on this site are open to new ideas and that is uplifting to see.

you could actually argue (i think) that marxism essentially = self employment as the means and mode of production are controlled by the collective rather than a hierarchy. the reddit definition touches on this as well

What stops people in this day and age from being self employed?

Millions are self employed keep that in mind.

^inegalitarian distribution of capital in a society that rewards the ownership of said capital

e: for example, the barrier to self employment is basically the same barrier which prevents the fry cook at mcdonalds from opening a competing restaurant across the street (though depending upon the situation, this may be a much larger scale example)

What stops people in this day and age from being self employed?

Millions are self employed keep that in mind.

^inegalitarian distribution of capital in a society that rewards the ownership of said capital

e: for example, the barrier to self employment is basically the same barrier which prevents the fry cook at mcdonalds from opening a competing restaurant across the street (though depending upon the situation, this may be a much larger scale example)

I quoted both of ya because I want to answer pstalls question and believe it or not Godspin makes a decent point.

Nothing in theory is stopping someone from opening their own business, but several things in reality are.

The easy and popular answer is you can bootstrap your way into wealth, but the reality is the cards are stacked against you.

If that fry cook wants to compete with McDonalds he needs a way to access supplies/labor/location at the same price as McDonalds. This is virtually impossible. Not to mention how many banks would give a big loan to a fry cook with a dream?

The problem with "Well groups of small businesses should just co-op together to fight the man" is simple. Folks can't agree to poo. ME ME ME ME always destroys WE WE WE WE. Granted sometimes such things have worked, but they lack the pure $$$ muscle and single minded make money at all costs approach that a big corporation has.

I had a few papers on a communism and marxism at UNCC. All very interesting stuff and I can't stand the ignorance that people have to judge those writing without one glance of reading it. I think there is much to be learned from those ideas.

True communism has never been implemented that's what Limbaugh and Glen Beck don't seem to understand. It possibly may never be able to exist, but do this date it has never truly exist. It's name has been to used for and by the corrupt.

The problem with communism imo, is that people are inheretly selfish. Even in utopia people will want more than they are allotted, for any reason, even just because.

Capitalism has it's flaws too. It creates social class just as much as it does free market or the ability to become wealthy, if not moreso.