Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wealth Inequality in America

271 posts in this topic

Posted

i thought they had a really good economics department, but i could be wrong

They don't have a business school so any econ degree you get there would be a BA that focuses more on theory than application.

Posted

yay business philosophy

Posted

loving the ad hominem itt

it's what you can expect from people who associate their gut feelings and unsubstantiated claims with intelligence (see: "ivory tower elitist" being thrown out there in response to a request for evidence. apparently asking for evidence is elitist to these people)

they're basically the dumbest motherfugers in the room and madhatter in particular is proof positive of the dunning-kruger effect

Posted

For the next person that needs to....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

Posted

I made a 1200 or so on the SAT when I was on the 7th grade btw.

Posted

^^ why not say delusions of grandeur

isn't that the same thing?

Posted

^^ why not say delusions of grandeur

isn't that the same thing?

i am not a psychologist but from what i understand GD is associated with mental illness and encompasses the gamut of delusions while dunning-kruger relates to a more common phenomenon (at least in american society)

anyway the dunning-kruger thing is a bit tongue in cheek as i don't doubt that madhatter is good at finance or whatever. the problem is that he, and others, seem to believe that experience in a particular niche sector and knowledge within a limited scope of academia qualifies them to not only weigh in on real things in other fields that they've never actually studied, but to also ignore (and/or insult) those who do in fact have a working knowledge of the given subject. now keep in mind i don't think you have to have a degree within a given field before you can comment on it, but you will in fact have to substantiate your claims (particularly when they run counter to the bulk of data and theory). if your defense of "hurrdurr welfare is for lazy people" is limited to "um i got a 1500 on the SAT therefore....." or "what are you some kind of ivory tower elitist" then it's safe to say that you're completely full of poo and need to stop posting about things which you have not even made the attempt to understand

Posted

i am not a psychologist but from what i understand GD is associated with mental illness and encompasses the gamut of delusions while dunning-kruger relates to a more common phenomenon (at least in american society)

anyway the dunning-kruger thing is a bit tongue in cheek as i don't doubt that madhatter is good at finance or whatever. the problem is that he, and others, seem to believe that experience in a particular niche sector and knowledge within a limited scope of academia qualifies them to not only weigh in on real things in other fields that they've never actually studied, but to also ignore (and/or insult) those who do in fact have a working knowledge of the given subject. now keep in mind i don't think you have to have a degree within a given field before you can comment on it, but you will in fact have to substantiate your claims (particularly when they run counter to the bulk of data and theory). if your defense of "hurrdurr welfare is for lazy people" is limited to "um i got a 1500 on the SAT therefore....." or "what are you some kind of ivory tower elitist" then it's safe to say that you're completely full of poo and need to stop posting about things which you have not even made the attempt to understand

Yeah I meant like colloquially. Like if I say so-in-so is anti-social I usually mean they're being a recluse, I don't mean they're a criminal since that's pretty much the psychological definition.

I don't get the real world meme lately. You might as well not even post if you're gonna bring that into every thread.

Posted

human flight? um hello mr ivory tower elitist, here in the real world ppl can't fly. i'm just sitting here flapping my arms and not getting anywhere and that's the REAL WORLD so you can take your "aeronautics" and shove it

Posted

theory. reality. ancedotal and outliers. metrics and conjecture.

mix and match to your delight. at some point you have to make the rubber meet the road and do something besides flexing your 2.1 Psych Major to compensate your lack of economic understanding.

2 people like this

Posted

theory. reality. ancedotal and outliers. metrics and conjecture.

mix and match to your delight. at some point you have to make the rubber meet the road and do something besides flexing your 2.1 Psych Major to compensate your lack of economic understanding.

i presume you're speaking from experience

Posted

my diagnosis of you would not be applicable to this thread.