• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

If I buy a gay persons jersey I may start sucking cock....and that would be horrible

Git R Done

start?!!!

that was so there!!!

being this is a repeat thread that didn't go well on round 1, I swear I am banning the first of you that throws this off the rails to the extent that round 1 went! Let's prove to each other that the huddle can indeed talk about controversial topics without getting immature about it!

#32 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:50 AM

oh and in my opninion...there's always going to be people that have negative feelings towards a gay NFL player just the same as a gay actor, doctor, teacher, etc. I do think, and hope, that it's gradually becoming more and more acceptable and main stream and see a day where it isn't going to be near as big of a deal to be gay. I really personally don't care what you and your significant other do with each other. I used to be really uncomfortable with it to be honest and hated to see public displays of affection, but hey, if you are happy, then the world is a wee little bit happier too and that should work for all.

#33 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,026 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:01 AM

I personally have no problem with it. Whether it was Cam Newton or any other player... I'd still buy/wear his jersey.

I don't think there will be any implications as far as sponsorships unless it's positive... I think a lot of companies would flock to that player. I do think there would be a lot of bashing by fans of opposing teams... a LOT, and most of it would be totally inappropriate.

I never buy player jerseys, and that wouldn't change. :)

I doubt many companies would flock to or leave a player because of it. Most smart companies don't like political or social controversy in any form, and leaving a player who said he was gay or flocking to a player who came out would cause some controversy.

#34 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,878 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:15 AM

You guys are so touchy. At least some are discussing in a rational manner.

I remember the social norms in Nascar changing like 20 years ago. It was not an overnight thing, but instead of it being sponsored solely by motor oil, auto parts and beer, things like Gatorade, Tide and other things started to creep into the sport. This was mainly due to the women who started attending the sport.

This is the same point I was trying to make. The "money" will follow public opinion. I did not say that anyone would pull a sponsorship. I did not say anyone would pull a sponsorhip. I did not say anyone would pull a sponsorship. (for Panthro)

What I did say was that some who have a very narrow base that they sell to, might not renew their sponsorship. But, at the same time, like Nascar, you might see a whole new set of sponsors in the NFL.

#35 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,322 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:58 PM

Hot damn stirs, one guy coming out of the closet is not going to have Woolite, Glad Plug Ins and Mazda Miata sign multimillion dollar contracts with the NFL. Or Hungry Man or Old Spice refusing to sponsor the games.

#36 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,878 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

Kwame Harris the smoking gun?

http://profootballta...ont-feel-alone/

To our conversation, he had no real endorsements, but might gain some now.

#37 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:25 PM

How do you think the Huddle would respond if this person were a Panther, or even Cam Newton himself?

Would not matter to me, but I would bet his shirts would suddenly dive in sales. Would the shoe companies still endorse? Or, would he just get different endorsement deals. The latter I suspect.

Will be interesting to watch the various reactions, no matter the team.

http://profootballta...ing-coming-out/

Sometimes I felt like Jimmy Clausen enjoyed getting sacked?

#38 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,741 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:42 PM

Hopefully they do and hopefully more will follow. Someone has to be the pioneer and props to whoever does it.

#39 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,878 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:07 AM

Well, now they are saying it might be 4 players, all coming out on the same day.

Question, if there are not high profile starters among them, will it make a lasting impression?

Say, with the Panthers, if it were Cam or Keek, yes, major impression. If Pilares, just as lasting?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com