Photo
- - - - -

So whatever happened to Johnathan Hankins?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,605 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:40 AM

He didn't overwhelmed at the combine. He had a so so combine like most of the other DTs. In a wonderful world, teams do questions his work ethic and he falls right to our lap at 44.

No thanks. Brandon, Sly and Jesse Williams completely outclassed him. Hell, I rather take an UT like Short (who lost 15 lbs for the Senior Bowl and Combine) over Hankins.

#17 Swaggasaurus

Swaggasaurus

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts
  • LocationWilkesboro

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:43 AM

Hankins is a soft body. He is not overly athletic and is not a mammoth for a nose tackle. The bigger guys like Jenkins and Williams are going to get picked before him because of size, Brandon Williams may even go before him because he is that bigger coveted guy and has a great work ethic. Either way we can get a nose tackle at 44, I hope that it ends up being Jesse Williams and if not Hankins will do just fine.

#18 CharlottePanther

CharlottePanther

HUDDLER

• Stop Making Threads...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

Hankins stock fell because he was never a Top 15 prospect to begin with. The combine pretty much killed his chances to be a first rounder. He was slow, stiff, and didn't impress scouts with his work ethic.

Pretty much answers my question

#19 MDPanthersFan

MDPanthersFan

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:55 PM

I must be very confused but why does everyone continue to label Hankins as a NT? Looking at the videos/highlights, he was always playing as a 3-tech DT (Single gap shooter); did I miss something in watching those videos?

#20 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,922 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:10 PM

Pretty much answers my question

If it were true.

#21 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,605 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:17 PM

If it were true.

Which it is...

Of course, his supporters will say otherwise. Sorry, Hankins was never worthy of being a first rounder.

#22 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:19 PM

Any of you that have not already need to make a trip over here. http://draftbreakdown.com/dt-rankings/ Click on any player you want to see you want to see youtube video links to. These videos edit them down to just the snaps each prospect is involved in so you can see their perfomance in mulitple games in a matter of minutes. If you look on the right you can click on any position you want to evaluate.(they will have videos for most day 1 and 2 talent).

1 tip I have is to consider the level of competition when evaualting each player. Specifically for Hankins the best o-line he faced was Wisconsin his sophmore year in 2010. That video is available just fast forward to 5:20.

If everyone does this and forms their own opinions instead of regurgitating the same scouting reports we can all read on our own the draft discussions will be much better around here.

Also I have learned from experience that highlight videos alone can fool you, that's why it's better to watch the cut ups of every snap they play in a game.

#23 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,605 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:28 PM

Judging from the tape I've seen, I know for damn sure Big Hank is a second or third round prospect. His motor is incredibly inconsistent, he's not dominate at the point of attack, he lacks pass rushing moves and an explosive first step, and his tackling is mid-tier.

#24 MasterAwesome

MasterAwesome

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:08 AM

Any of you that have not already need to make a trip over here. http://draftbreakdown.com/dt-rankings/ Click on any player you want to see you want to see youtube video links to. These videos edit them down to just the snaps each prospect is involved in so you can see their perfomance in mulitple games in a matter of minutes. If you look on the right you can click on any position you want to evaluate.(they will have videos for most day 1 and 2 talent).

1 tip I have is to consider the level of competition when evaualting each player. Specifically for Hankins the best o-line he faced was Wisconsin his sophmore year in 2010. That video is available just fast forward to 5:20.

If everyone does this and forms their own opinions instead of regurgitating the same scouting reports we can all read on our own the draft discussions will be much better around here.

Also I have learned from experience that highlight videos alone can fool you, that's why it's better to watch the cut ups of every snap they play in a game.

Seems like a neat site...but what's up with Desmond Trufant as the #13 rated CB ? From what I've gathered, I thought he was pretty much the consensus 3rd best CB in this draft.

#25 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,104 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:15 AM

I have a brother in law who lives in Columbus and goes to all of their games. Alumnus. He told me that Vernon Gholston was not going to be a good pro, for example, if that gives him cred. He says that Hankins has flashes where he is good, but is not really great at stopping the run or pressuring the passer. Says that he is somwhat of a tweener in that respect, not sure he can anchor well enough to play NT and not quick enough to play 3tech. He did, however, say that he has flashes that cause him to change his opinion. He wears down at ends of games--thinks his work ethic is questionable. Now, it is significant to note that he was talking about Hankins at #14--imperfections are magnified there. He would take him in a heartbeat at #44. He thinks he has upside and could develop into a stud DT with the right coach and a different attitude.

#26 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:47 AM

Seems like a neat site...but what's up with Desmond Trufant as the #13 rated CB ? From what I've gathered, I thought he was pretty much the consensus 3rd best CB in this draft.

I ignore their rankings, I just them for the well organized videos of prospects.

#27 KDawg004

KDawg004

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:01 AM

I'd gladly take Hankins at #44 if we don't pick up a NT in FA. It seems like most knocks on DTs is wearing out. You have to take into consideration Ohio State played him all over the line even DE. He won't do that here. His job would be to occupy blockers and push the pocket. The Panthers will rotate him to keep him fresh.

#28 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,605 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

I'd gladly take Hankins at #44 if we don't pick up a NT in FA. It seems like most knocks on DTs is wearing out. You have to take into consideration Ohio State played him all over the line even DE. He won't do that here. His job would be to occupy blockers and push the pocket. The Panthers will rotate him to keep him fresh.

The problem is Hankins is a lazy SOB. All DTs wear down but Big Hank disappears rather quickly. He has flashes of potential but Hankins puts minimal effort into his training regimen. If he doesn't want to excel as a player, then I don't want him at all. We don't need a two down NT. Give me a Brandon Williams any day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com