38 replies to this topic

#31 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,519 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:16 PM

I'm curious as to what you would have had us do in that situation...

I agree that presidents often receive more praise than due when things go well, and also more blame than due when things don't. However in the Osama Bin Laden capture/killing, I do give Obama credit for making the call to get it done. The intelligence community found him and the military took care of it, but the President had to authorize it. Bill Clinton would still be waiting on the UN and George Bush would have nuked Pakistan... Obama made the right call.

Should we have politely asked Pakistan, who probably already knew exactly where he was anyway, "hey, can you guys please capture this terrorist for us?"

The absence of a good way to do it doesn't jusitfy a bad way of doing it. :wacko:

#32 Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

cwg reads Fox News.

:thumbsu:

#33 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,567 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:29 PM

The absence of a good way to do it doesn't jusitfy a bad way of doing it. :wacko:

Posted Image

#34 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • 10,371 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:54 PM

I have no problem with how Obama handled the lead up.
Personally, I would have monitored OBL longer to see where all the bread crumbs would take us. We found him via his courier. Did we get all possible intel by seeing where the courier goes and seeing what he takes to whom?
Maybe we did. we don't know.

But the problem I had was the counterintelligence blunders afterwards. Why in the world would you announce to the world that you have a bunch of terrorists' contact information and addresses? I mean, wouldn't it have been better to use that information to go after them, instead of bragging and letting the others know to go into deeper hiding?

#35 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,757 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:09 PM

pretty sure the world, including the bad guys, was gonna know we killed bin Laden at his house and took stuff.

I laugh at the people who downplay Obamas decision, at the time there was like a 50-60 percent chance it was him, but he said when he was running for President he'd go into Pakistan to get him if need be, and he did.

If it turned out to be wrong, every single Obama hater on this board would have laid into him, Republicans would have reminded us about Carter and the Iranian hostage rescue attempt, etc. Hindsight is 20/20 - when he assumed office, he made capturing/killing bin Laden more of a priority then his predecessor, the whole torture thing proved to be not instrumental in getting bin Laden compared to other methods, basically, Obama did it right and everyone else did it wrong, which is why you all whine about....going into Pakistan, like we don't do it all the time perusing terrorist bands.

If Osama was hiding in Toronto I'd be OK with rappelling down the CN Tower to get to him - of course we'd let Canada know what we were doing because theres a good chance we can trust that government - didn't have that option with Pakistan and that, not because we are dicks, is why we didn't warn them first. Politically Pakistan had no real choice but to hem and haw for the sake of their citizens, but the government - long ago - accepted the possibility, even the probability, that bin Laden was in their country and that the US would go after him if that was the case.

Just watched Zero Dark Thirty a couple of weeks ago, great movie and as non political as can be.

#36 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,757 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:52 PM

http://www.huffingto..._n_3134411.html

Should this be #ObamaFlightDelays or #ObamaSavinUsMoney?

#37 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,093 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:37 PM

Outgoing Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said on Sunday that "We could have gotten bin Laden without" enhanced interrogation techniques, despite the implication in the film "Zero Dark Thirty" that the techniques, called torture by opponents, played a pivotal role in finding bin Laden.

"First of all, it's a movie," Panetta said on NBC's "Meet the Press". "Let's remember that."

Saying he "lived the real story," Panetta added that "in order to put the puzzle of intelligence together that led us to bin Laden, there was a lot of intelligence. There were a lot of pieces out there that were part of that puzzle."

Panetta went on to say that there was at least some truth to the notion that enhanced interrogation was part of the hunt for bin Laden.

"Yes, some of it came from some of the tactics that were used at that time, interrogation tactics that were used," he admitted. "But the fact is we put together most of that intelligence without having to resort to that."

NBC's Chuck Todd followed up: "And you think you could have gotten it without any?"

Panetta replied: "I think we could have gotten bin Laden without that."

http://www.cbsnews.c...d-to-bin-laden/

#38 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,218 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

wouldn't the more shocking choice by O had been after years of searching and intel and looking and digging and meetings and more intel and more digging that he said NO?

in terms of intel and searching for OBL, Obama was doing his best Barry Switzer.

#39 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,362 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

I don't feel it is shocking that he pulled the trigger on taking out Osama but I do think it is a credit to him that he did. That isn't to say for sure other presidents wouldn't have, but they might have done it differently and I think that taking out bin Laden was very impressive (though aftermath of it was a bit weird to me)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.