Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DT Nate Chandler to offensive tackle?

66 posts in this topic

Posted

If I'm not mistaken, that's J.R. Sweezy who went to NCSU.

Yes, this is correct.  J.R. Sweezy from NC State played DT all 4 years in college.  Never played Offensive Line in his life, but the Seahawks drafted him in the 7th round and moved him to OT.  If I'm not mistaken, he actually won the starting job.

I mean it kinda makes sense.  If you're good at beating Offensive Lineman, you might be good at not getting beat too.

Posted

That reminds me of a Gettleman story where he saw like a tight end from a small school and the Giants ( I think) moved him to offensive tackle and he flourished.

Will Beatty? I don't know if that was all gettleman's doing but I think that's who your referencing

Posted

Hey, if Armanti can do it.... Oh wait, never mind.

2 people like this

Posted

I doubt the expectation is for him to ever start. I wouldn't worry about two inches.

Posted

No one is saying this is our answer to the O-line situation, but he does have a better shot at making the O-line since we added 2 drafted DTs and other DT FAs (but not OTs)

Posted

Interesting move for sure, but I think he can pull off and make the roster. Not sure about him taking Bell's spot or anything like that though. 

Posted

I wouldn't worry about two inches.

none of my girlfriends ever said that. 

1 person likes this

Posted

none of my girlfriends ever said that. 

they were being nice.

1 person likes this

Posted

Interesting move for sure, but I think he can pull off and make the roster. Not sure about him taking Bell's spot or anything like that though. 

seems to more fit the LT mold, imo.

Posted

5. Chandler switches sides: Last year, Nate Chandler came up from the practice squad late in the year to help on the defensive line. On Thursday, he was wearing a blue jersey, which is reserved for offense. With the additions to the defensive line, specifically the interior of the line, Chandler had to move to the other side of the ball. Rivera likes him, and Chandler was actually the team's emergency's offensive lineman last season after having played the position for a spell at UCLA.

per Jonathen Jones' article: http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2013/05/five-impressions-from-panthers-otas.html

1 person likes this

Posted

I think this kid is being setup to fail. he gets move to a new position to compete with guys that having been playing the position all their life. soon as he doesn't get up to speed as fast as they would like they are going to cut him 

Posted

I think this kid is being setup to fail. he gets move to a new position to compete with guys that having been playing the position all their life. soon as he doesn't get up to speed as fast as they would like they are going to cut him 

He's more than likely an UT than an NT, and we carried 4 DTs last year (2NT, 2UT). Dwan and KK already fill the 2UT, so if the opportunity to be the 2nd UT isn't there, then how is giving him a chance to make the team "setting him up to fail"?