• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:57 PM

1. Cincy, Tulsa, Central Florida, South Florida, ECU, SMU, UConn, and Houston all are very talented and growing football programs. Though I agree that The American isn't exactly the bees knees, it will absolutely be better than CUSA of the past few years. I'm sorry but I don't know where you're coming from with that one. Why are you saying that the CUSA of the past is better than the American which will essentially be CUSA's best programs plus UConn and Cincinatti. That makes no sense.

2. As far as basketball, Richmond is a defensive liability and a streaky shooter and I don't blame Lebo at all for playing PRC who is a great defender. I think next season Lebo will probably extend Richmond's minutes as he has surely matured as a player but when the season started he didn't deserve more than 20 minutes a game. Maurice Kemp was a skinny slasher with no shooting stroke and a poor FT shooter when he came to the program, Lebo developed him the right way over time. He had to put on weight and improve his shooting before playing big minutes (which he did). In his Freshman-Sophomore form he was a role player. You're point of the loss of Kemp/Paul/Sampson are good, but Lebo has recruited big bodies that should help, and the transfer of Terry Whisnant, a 6'3" PG former starter from Florida State who was a 4 star recruit coming out of high school ought to help just a bit. Kemp is a big loss, but I think Ty Armstrong will suprise and impress a lot of people as a #1 scoring option. Make no mistake, saying your not sold on Lebo means you really may not understand how bad this program truly historically has been. He's a damn good coach and he's all in on ECU. And he's recruited well too.

3. You mentioned something about The American's TV Contract. I don't care how much it's worth compared to anyone else. C-USA's TV contract is worth half of The American's. That's the reason that this move is important. Money. Double. The. Money. More money for athletic programs.

4. Not liking Ruffin McNeill is straight up weird, but I'm going to put it on you just not knowing anything about him. ECU Alum that lives and dies by this program. The guy is in love with Greenville and ECU, and he's a terrific recruiter with tremendous respect and notoriety across the country. If you don't like him, you don't like ECU.

1. Cinci was a better program in CUSA v1 than it is today. The basketball at Cinci is a shell of what it was under Bob Huggins. It isn't a perennial top 10 program anymore. Marquette is no longer there. Louisville is no longer there.  There is some talent in the AAC, but there aren't any consistent powers. People like to say any program that has had some recent success a growing program, but in reality, pretty much all the programs in the AAC are going to be up and down. They'll have their magical years and they'll have their normal years where they're neither good nor bad. And for schools like Tulane, Temple, UCONN, and Memphis, being bad is pretty regular on the football field. Everyone else falls solidly in the mediocre category. The best program in the AAC is Cinci and they're pleading to get out of the conference. They will when WVU finally cries loud enough and gets the Big XII to add a travel partner for them.
  2. I'm well aware of Richmond's talents and liabilities, but his offensive talents far outweighed his defensive liabilities. I've watched Richmond for years, even back when he was at Rhode Island and even a bit in HS. ECU had a ridiculously good +/- when he was on the floor. The new players you are talking about are freshmen, hard to rely on them to contribute much immediately. With Bryant Stith as the new assistant at Old Dominion, I wouldn't really count on keeping Stith all four years anyway. Whisnant was a great pickup, but he can't play for you this year. ECU has a chance to be really bad this year, taking them back to square one because they have no basketball history to rely on.
  3. The TV contract isn't double and more than anything it doesn't get the AAC much exposure because you're about the 4th or 5th option on ESPN. CUSA teams get $1.2 million a year ($1 million a year after Charlotte and ODU join for football) compared to $1.8 in the AAC, but our contract is with Fox Sports and will have pretty good treatment on the new Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2 channels in prime time. I don't really count on CUSA maintaining such great placement after a few years when the contract expires and Fox has the option to renegotiate things, but we're sitting well for the next 3 years (and the AAC defectors are responsible for making up any difference in television contract value for an additional 2). Making an extra $800,000/yr isn't going to have any real impact on an athletic department when you are talking budgets of $30 million or more each year.
  4. I don't dislike McNeill, I'm just not 100% confident in him as a head coach. I've seen several ECU fans say the same thing. You can be an alum with all the respect and recruiting ability in the world, but if you're not a great coach it won't matter.

Overall the AAC is definitely a better conference than CUSA, especially for basketball. I'm not arguing otherwise. The AAC is still a conference full of teams that nobody really gives a damn about on a national level though. The teams that left ultimately did not move up, they moved on. They all ended up in exactly the same situation they were in before realignment started. Before realignment CUSA was the 7-8th best conference in football each year (battling with the MWC most seasons for best non-BCS conference). Now they'll still be there battling with the MWC for best non-power conference while being excluded from all the important bowl games just like CUSA, SBC, and MAC teams.

Nobody that moved really won in realignment. It only looks that way because of the schools that were added to CUSA. If all the schools in CUSA had stayed put (which nobody could have expected them to do initially because it looked like a great deal for UCF, Houston, and SMU), then they'd be in basically the same position they are today. ECU, Tulsa, and Tulane had to jump poo because at that point they would have been left behind, but like I said, they moved on to stay exactly where they were at before rather than falling behind. It was a step forward, but not a step up.

Eventually there will be a time when all the non-power conference teams are excluded from bowl games that matter and the AAC will be right there with everyone else. There are a few schools left with some good political pull in the MWC and the AAC and those schools will be accommodated in exchange for not filing lawsuits. Cinci, UCONN, Memphis, BYU, some of the better MWC teams, and MAYBE Houston will get an invite to the few remaining spots in a 5x16 conference set up, but ultimately the rest will be left behind to wither on the vine like the other diseased fruit in the Group of 5 conferences.

#17 PiratePanther189

PiratePanther189

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:49 PM

1. Cinci was a better program in CUSA v1 than it is today. The basketball at Cinci is a shell of what it was under Bob Huggins. It isn't a perennial top 10 program anymore. Marquette is no longer there. Louisville is no longer there.  There is some talent in the AAC, but there aren't any consistent powers. People like to say any program that has had some recent success a growing program, but in reality, pretty much all the programs in the AAC are going to be up and down. They'll have their magical years and they'll have their normal years where they're neither good nor bad. And for schools like Tulane, Temple, UCONN, and Memphis, being bad is pretty regular on the football field. Everyone else falls solidly in the mediocre category. The best program in the AAC is Cinci and they're pleading to get out of the conference. They will when WVU finally cries loud enough and gets the Big XII to add a travel partner for them.
  2. I'm well aware of Richmond's talents and liabilities, but his offensive talents far outweighed his defensive liabilities. I've watched Richmond for years, even back when he was at Rhode Island and even a bit in HS. ECU had a ridiculously good +/- when he was on the floor. The new players you are talking about are freshmen, hard to rely on them to contribute much immediately. With Bryant Stith as the new assistant at Old Dominion, I wouldn't really count on keeping Stith all four years anyway. Whisnant was a great pickup, but he can't play for you this year. ECU has a chance to be really bad this year, taking them back to square one because they have no basketball history to rely on.
  3. The TV contract isn't double and more than anything it doesn't get the AAC much exposure because you're about the 4th or 5th option on ESPN. CUSA teams get $1.2 million a year ($1 million a year after Charlotte and ODU join for football) compared to $1.8 in the AAC, but our contract is with Fox Sports and will have pretty good treatment on the new Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2 channels in prime time. I don't really count on CUSA maintaining such great placement after a few years when the contract expires and Fox has the option to renegotiate things, but we're sitting well for the next 3 years (and the AAC defectors are responsible for making up any difference in television contract value for an additional 2). Making an extra $800,000/yr isn't going to have any real impact on an athletic department when you are talking budgets of $30 million or more each year.
  4. I don't dislike McNeill, I'm just not 100% confident in him as a head coach. I've seen several ECU fans say the same thing. You can be an alum with all the respect and recruiting ability in the world, but if you're not a great coach it won't matter.

Overall the AAC is definitely a better conference than CUSA, especially for basketball. I'm not arguing otherwise. The AAC is still a conference full of teams that nobody really gives a damn about on a national level though. The teams that left ultimately did not move up, they moved on. They all ended up in exactly the same situation they were in before realignment started. Before realignment CUSA was the 7-8th best conference in football each year (battling with the MWC most seasons for best non-BCS conference). Now they'll still be there battling with the MWC for best non-power conference while being excluded from all the important bowl games just like CUSA, SBC, and MAC teams.

Nobody that moved really won in realignment. It only looks that way because of the schools that were added to CUSA. If all the schools in CUSA had stayed put (which nobody could have expected them to do initially because it looked like a great deal for UCF, Houston, and SMU), then they'd be in basically the same position they are today. ECU, Tulsa, and Tulane had to jump poo because at that point they would have been left behind, but like I said, they moved on to stay exactly where they were at before rather than falling behind. It was a step forward, but not a step up.

Eventually there will be a time when all the non-power conference teams are excluded from bowl games that matter and the AAC will be right there with everyone else. There are a few schools left with some good political pull in the MWC and the AAC and those schools will be accommodated in exchange for not filing lawsuits. Cinci, UCONN, Memphis, BYU, some of the better MWC teams, and MAYBE Houston will get an invite to the few remaining spots in a 5x16 conference set up, but ultimately the rest will be left behind to wither on the vine like the other diseased fruit in the Group of 5 conferences.

First of all, you're absolutely incorrect about Cincinnatti football being "better" in the CUSA. Cincy has been in the Big East/American for 8 seasons. Of those 8 seasons, they've won 12 games one time, 11 games one time, 10 games three times, and 8 games one time. They've had TWO losing seasons and are coming off of a 10 win season, so I'm not sure where you're coming from there. As far as basketball, F*CKING OF COURSE they were better in CUSA!! The Old Big East was either the best or the 2nd best basketball conference in the country every year! The competition is uncomparable. Memphis was their only true consistent competition every year. Besides, the addition of Memphis far cancels any shortcomings of Cincy, and the loss of the Cath. 7 will surely improve their record.

Another discrepency I have with you here is UConn football, which you proclaim to be so horrible. They joined the Big East in 04 and had 5 seasons of 8 or more wins during the Edsall era and went to 5 bowl games. Have they endured a small downswing since Pasqualoni was hired? Sure, but this bullsh*t about them being an embarrasment isn't true. winning 5 games 2 seasons in a row in a BCS conference doesn't qualify you as a cellar dwellar, it qualifys them as a below average team OVER THE PAST 2 YEARS. They have historically been a respectable team since joining the Big East over the long haul.

Then comes the money factor. I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers from, but I'll break it down:

ESPN and The American have a $126 million dollar contract for first rights (as you know), 7 years for basketball, 6 years for football. Lets make the math easier and say it's 6 years for b-ball and 6 years for football.

CBS has a 6 year second right basketball agreement worth $54 million.

Thats $180,000,000 in total TV revenue for the American over the next 6 years.

In 2014 (when the final group of CUSA teams enters), the American will have 11 teams. Take that $180 million and divide it by 6, that's $30 million a year. Divide that $30 million by 11, that's $2.72 million per year, per team in 2014.

Fox and CUSA signed a $42 million first rights agreement over 5 years. They also signed a 5 year secondary agreement with CBS worth $35 million.

In 2014, CUSA will have 14 members. Take the total $77 million TV revenue, divide it by 5, that's $15.4 million per year in revenue. Divide it by 14 and that's $1.1 million per team, per year.

American in 2014 - $2.72 million per team, per year.

vs.

CUSA in 2014 - $1.1 million per team, per year.

More. Than. Double.

And I don't care about anything else other than the money. I don't care about exposure. I'm gonna watch my Pirates and the other die hards will and we have plenty of them. I don't care who else does. All I care is that we have more money to spend, and we will. Considerably more.

And in short, Lebo is a good coach. Ruffin is a great coach. Anyone who tells you otherwise is short sighted. Terry Holland makes good hires. He just proved another when he was given the responsibility to choose his successor, and he chose Jeff Compher, who just was chosen for Athletic Director of the Year.

#18 kman72

kman72

Sports Maniac

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:57 PM

Great discussions.... I might have to post in this forum more often to avoid all the trolls 

#19 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:13 AM

Fair enough PiratePanther. I was not aware of the CBS deal.

You will not convince me that Jeff Lebo is a good coach though. 

Overall, I'm a fan of the ECU program and I mostly like ECU fans that I've encountered. It's the App fans that I find unbearable.

#20 PiratePanther189

PiratePanther189

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

Fair enough PiratePanther. I was not aware of the CBS deal.

You will not convince me that Jeff Lebo is a good coach though. 

Overall, I'm a fan of the ECU program and I mostly like ECU fans that I've encountered. It's the App fans that I find unbearable.

Anyone who inherits a 10-21 team with a 4-12 and turns them into a 24-12 team with a 9-7 conference record in 3 years certainly is doing their job.

But this conversation is going nowhere. Both ECU and UNCC are making progress and I too wish you the best of luck as your football program gets started. Can never cheer against the city of Charlotte (unless they're playing the Pirates)

#21 Seal (SmittyIsOurSavior)

Seal (SmittyIsOurSavior)

Jesus Shuttlesworth

• HUDDLER
  • 5,834 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:36 PM

Who's this saying UConn doesn't have a good football program? Under Randy Edsall, it made the turn that their basketball program did when Jim Calhoun came in. Just because they were total crap until a few years ago doesn't negate what they've done recently. Remember, their basketball team was historically terrible before Calhoun, and now they've won more NCAA championships in the past 15 years than any other Division One program.

UConn won't be around long though. Pretty sure they were one spot out of jumping to the ACC, which would've been amazing for me as a former UConn fan and a current UNC student and diehard, but their time to move will come soon.

#22 PiratePanther189

PiratePanther189

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:26 PM

I'm not sure what the specifics are but I know that this round conference realignment is going to come to an end here soon for a while. These next 1-2 years will probably be the last moves we see for a while as most conferences are locking these teams up starting at the beginning of the playoff era contractually after all of the chaos we've seen ensue over the last few years.

#23 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:14 AM

Who's this saying UConn doesn't have a good football program? Under Randy Edsall, it made the turn that their basketball program did when Jim Calhoun came in. Just because they were total crap until a few years ago doesn't negate what they've done recently. Remember, their basketball team was historically terrible before Calhoun, and now they've won more NCAA championships in the past 15 years than any other Division One program.

UConn won't be around long though. Pretty sure they were one spot out of jumping to the ACC, which would've been amazing for me as a former UConn fan and a current UNC student and diehard, but their time to move will come soon.

I actually think Cincy is more likely to get an ACC invite than UCONN.

I can't remember what UCONN did, but they pissed the ACC off sometime around 03 when the last round of realignment went down. 

Cincy is also a better academic institution.

I can actually see UCONN becoming UMass-like in time unless the ACC decides to throw them a life vest instead of Cincy.

If Cincy doesn't get into the ACC, they'll get a Big XII invite at some point to make WVU happy.

#24 PiratePanther189

PiratePanther189

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:46 AM

I can't remember what UCONN did, but they pissed the ACC off sometime around 03 when the last round of realignment went down. 

I can actually see UCONN becoming UMass-like in time unless the ACC decides to throw them a life vest instead of Cincy.

If Cincy doesn't get into the ACC, they'll get a Big XII invite at some point to make WVU happy.

yeah, they like sued the ACC over adding Boston College from the Big East in 03, saying something like they conspired to weaken the Big East and then just left or something, but Pitt was involved in that lawsuit and they ended up in the ACC. It's actually more BC than anything that is trying to keep them from the ACC, their AD has admitted as much.

#25 Seal (SmittyIsOurSavior)

Seal (SmittyIsOurSavior)

Jesus Shuttlesworth

• HUDDLER
  • 5,834 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:47 PM

UConn is pretty widely known as one of, if not the top academic public school in the Northeast. 

They won the NCAA Championship in 2004, so maybe that's what they did to piss off the ACC ;)

Cincinnati is more consistent in football though, but UConn is on the rise. As for basketball, who knows with Calhoun out. Kevin Ollie looked good last year as the coach, but only time will tell.

#26 JPPT1974

JPPT1974

St Patty's Day!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationSeymour TN

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:55 PM

Heard a lot of people that graduated from UConn graduated in the tops. As heard a lot of great things about it academic wise. They are more basketball wise.

#27 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:38 PM

As far as basketball, F*CKING OF COURSE they were better in CUSA!! The Old Big East was either the best or the 2nd best basketball conference in the country every year! The competition is uncomparable. Memphis was their only true consistent competition every year. Besides, the addition of Memphis far cancels any shortcomings of Cincy, and the loss of the Cath. 7 will surely improve their record.

I missed this little tidbit.

The Old CUSA also had Louisville, Marquette, and a very good Charlotte program. Memphis was actually not that great in CUSA v1.0. They were not bad, but they were nothing like they are today. Cincy had the best winning percentage, the most championships. and a HoF caliber coach. Charlotte had the 2nd best winning percentage and I believe tied for second most CUSA championships. Louisville was third. Memphis actually played in the west division of CUSA, which was pretty poor and they still didn't have the number of wins that Cincy, Charlotte, Louisville, and maybe Marquette.

CUSA also featured a pretty good UAB program and a respectable Saint Louis program, as well as a DePaul program that wasn't always terrible. CUSA 1.0 was a 5 bid league some years. Not quite as good as the Big East as its peak, but a very stout basketball conference nonetheless. Cincy and Louisville were perennial top 15 programs with Cincy being ranked #1 in the country a few times.

Their decline was due more to losing Huggins than moving to a more difficult conference.

I'm not trying to argue anything here, just wanted to give you a little history on a very underrated league that was ripped apart by the first round of ACC expansion.

#28 CPcavedweller

CPcavedweller

• HUDDLER
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:57 PM

When I was there, Skip was recruiting by selling the improvement to 60k and this was back in 09'. If nothing official has come out I'd take your info with a grain of salt but it was said to the football recruits this project would be completed by 2012. Everyone was excited about the horseshoe but we all really wanted to see the new upper deck and it never came.

#29 ECUPantherFan

ECUPantherFan

Wish we had Olsen twins

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:26 PM

When I was there, Skip was recruiting by selling the improvement to 60k and this was back in 09'. If nothing official has come out I'd take your info with a grain of salt but it was said to the football recruits this project would be completed by 2012. Everyone was excited about the horseshoe but we all really wanted to see the new upper deck and it never came.

Funding has been approved.  A contractor has been selected.  It's just a matter of when.  We're currently building a $15 million basketball practice facility.  It looks like 2016 will be the completion date for the football stadium expansion.  I mean, we added 7,000 seats and a GIGANTIC videoboard in 2010.  Cut us a break.  lol 

#30 CPcavedweller

CPcavedweller

• HUDDLER
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:38 PM

Funding has been approved. A contractor has been selected. It's just a matter of when. We're currently building a $15 million basketball practice facility. It looks like 2016 will be the completion date for the football stadium expansion. I mean, we added 7,000 seats and a GIGANTIC videoboard in 2010. Cut us a break. lol

I lived right across the street at Piratesplace man, believe me when I say I know ECU is for real. When I get done with my associates I plan on transferring back to ECU. Bowling in rowdy dowdy really gave it at big time feel, especially when State and Russel Wilson rolled into town. We partied all day and night Friday and Saturday and the atmosphere was electric

My freshmen year in 2009 when we played Vatech on a Thursday was the most pumped up football game I've been to. Classes let out early and we got to partying, all weekend long and the stadium was nuts.

However, all the partying led me to where I am now so I no longer get to enjoy the growth but I will be back in 2 springs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com