Football Outsiders Predicts Great Things for Carolina

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#31 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,510 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:55 PM

I think people are too hard on Rivera. He has had some massive holes on D....that impacts a young HC of he relies on D as part of his strategy.

#32 Guest_HelloWorld_*

Guest_HelloWorld_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

I think that Rivera is a very good coach, he's just an awful, AWFUL, game manager. 

Don't those come hand in hand? Kind of like a good QB who can't throw. Doesn't work. Gotta close the deal.

#33 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,671 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:31 PM

Don't those come hand in hand? Kind of like a good QB who can't throw. Doesn't work. Gotta close the deal.

No, you don't understand what I'm saying. 

#34 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:54 PM

Good X's and O's guy. Loved by fellow coaches and respected by his players. Can explain his philosophies to everyone and has a clear dedication and passion for the game. (Good Coach)

Has mental lapses and poor decision making due to inexperience in critical late game situations and other key points during the game. (Awful Game manager)

#35 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,693 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:17 PM

Ron must have made a hell of a pitch to stay on board, being that Jerry never wanted him originally.

I seriously question that.

If Richardson never wanted Rivera, Rivera never would have been here to begin with.
He certainly would have gotten rid of him at the end of last season.

While I agree that Rivera needs to improve his game management, if he was holding this team back, the players wouldn't fight so hard for him.

#36 Guest_HelloWorld_*

Guest_HelloWorld_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:22 PM

Good X's and O's guy. Loved by fellow coaches and respected by his players. Can explain his philosophies to everyone and has a clear dedication and passion for the game. (Good Coach)

Has mental lapses and poor decision making due to inexperience in critical late game situations and other key points during the game. (Awful Game manager)

Unless you're in the locker room with him or speak to his colleague, as fans, you can't really know that. There are too many under-performing positions on this team to refer to that guy as a good coach. Game management is not his only issue. Better yet, a good coach would win more than a good manager because they'd put all their players in position to win early. Rivera is just winging it. He has no plan or philosophies. You're telling me a guy who wouldn't attempt a 50 yard field goal before half time has a plan? The guy have no ball to be a head coach. Just my opinion.

#37 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:34 PM

Unless you're in the locker room with him or speak to his colleague, as fans, you can't really know that. There are too many under-performing positions on this team to refer to that guy as a good coach. Game management is not his only issue. Better yet, a good coach would win more than a good manager because they'd put all their players in position to win early. Rivera is just winging it. He has no plan or philosophies. You're telling me a guy who wouldn't attempt a 50 yard field goal before half time has a plan? The guy have no ball to be a head coach. Just my opinion.

I'm merely going off of what his players and colleagues have said. The fact that he had that defense in the top 10 proves he knows what he's doing. You can put a bad player in the right spot but he's still a bad player(Naka, Fua). And to the FG scenario, our ST's were not just bad, they've been Saints Defense bad. I don't know that I could trust them in that spot either. Evidence shows it would have probably been blocked and returned for a score. Just my opinion though.

#38 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,559 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:25 AM

I seriously question that.

If Richardson never wanted Rivera, Rivera never would have been here to begin with.
He certainly would have gotten rid of him at the end of last season.

You're forgetting about a little thing called a contract. Richardson wasn't going to pay 2 years for nothing.

#39 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,063 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:11 AM

Mexican't

#40 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:20 AM

The biggest issue? Ron Rivera.

Yep.

#41 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,000 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:33 AM

I am more concerned with the reports that he plays stiff and takes bad angles. A few hundredths on a 40time is not a big deal.

Hoping we found a diamond in the rough with Lester.

But, I still want Mikell signed pronto.

#42 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:32 AM

If the ball bounces in Carolina's favor next year, they will be in the playoffs.  I see them winning 8-9 though, pulling out some close wins and losing others.  Hell if the ball bounced Carolina's way in 2012, they'd have won 9-10 games.  Atlanta (the first time) and Chicago come to mind

#43 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,746 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:33 AM

A couple of thoughts.  If we ran the pistol 2 times a game or 32 times all year then a few big plays will significantly skew how great it was.  If we run it more it could also mean it loses its disguise value much like the read option did in year 2.  I personally like the pistol formation but stats like 9 yards a play appears terrific but sometimes stats have to be taken in context.

As for Rivera, this should be the litmus test year.  If we start off slow again we wont have a winning year and he will be gone.  If you look at our schedule at the end of the year we are going to need to win early if we have any chance of the playoffs.  We should be 3-3 at worse after 6 games.  Anything less than that will make it very hard to do much this year.

#44 Archimedes

Archimedes

NOT NEWB

• HUDDLER
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:12 AM

They pretty much nailed it.  We're a top 5 talent, in a brutal NFC.  We have a coach would would struggle to manage a high school football game.  Lets hope the performance can overcome the decision making.

On another bright note, they have the Falcons dropping to a sub .500 team this year.

#45 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,027 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:43 AM

Every time I start getting optimistic about next season, I remember Shula.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com