Photo
- - - - -

Football Outsiders Predicts Great Things for Carolina

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
54 replies to this topic

#25 TheJason

TheJason

Black & Blue in The Bay

SUPPORTER

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:06 PM

I've only ever wanted him to focus on fixing the defense, and hire somebody with a strong offensive mind to help him on the offense side.

Until that happens, I've kept my expectations rather conservative.

#26 Gabeking

Gabeking

SUPPORTER

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:15 PM

Well, it's his opportunity now to put up or shut up.. No other way around it.

#27 panther4life

panther4life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:17 PM

Rivera is definitely my biggest fear as well. Great article.

#28 SauceBoss

SauceBoss

IT IS WHAT IT IS

HUDDLER

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:18 PM

Ron must have made a hell of a pitch to stay on board, being that Jerry never wanted him originally.

He probably said "I'll take a pay cut."

#29 Donald LaFell

Donald LaFell

SUPPORTER

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:41 PM

I think that Rivera is a very good coach, he's just an awful, AWFUL, game manager. 

I think that's a much better way of viewing it. He seems to be a strong leader and he knows his X's and O's very well. But game mangement is down.

#30 sanjay_rajput

sanjay_rajput

HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

People got to realize that Rivera has been a HC for only 2 years. The first two years where growing years but we improved each year and got the experience on games. Plus it doesn't hurt that we drafted 2 DT & FA that makes our front 7 one of the best and going back to more traditional game.

(11-5 )Rivera keeps his job & Stewart 1,000yds 

#31 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:55 PM

I think people are too hard on Rivera. He has had some massive holes on D....that impacts a young HC of he relies on D as part of his strategy.

#32 Guest_HelloWorld_*

Guest_HelloWorld_*
Guests

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

I think that Rivera is a very good coach, he's just an awful, AWFUL, game manager. 

Don't those come hand in hand? Kind of like a good QB who can't throw. Doesn't work. Gotta close the deal.

#33 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

HUDDLER

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:31 PM

Don't those come hand in hand? Kind of like a good QB who can't throw. Doesn't work. Gotta close the deal.

No, you don't understand what I'm saying. 

#34 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

SUPPORTER

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:54 PM

Good X's and O's guy. Loved by fellow coaches and respected by his players. Can explain his philosophies to everyone and has a clear dedication and passion for the game. (Good Coach)

Has mental lapses and poor decision making due to inexperience in critical late game situations and other key points during the game. (Awful Game manager)

#35 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

SUPPORTER

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:17 PM

Ron must have made a hell of a pitch to stay on board, being that Jerry never wanted him originally.

I seriously question that.

If Richardson never wanted Rivera, Rivera never would have been here to begin with.
He certainly would have gotten rid of him at the end of last season.

While I agree that Rivera needs to improve his game management, if he was holding this team back, the players wouldn't fight so hard for him.

#36 Guest_HelloWorld_*

Guest_HelloWorld_*
Guests

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:22 PM

Good X's and O's guy. Loved by fellow coaches and respected by his players. Can explain his philosophies to everyone and has a clear dedication and passion for the game. (Good Coach)

Has mental lapses and poor decision making due to inexperience in critical late game situations and other key points during the game. (Awful Game manager)

Unless you're in the locker room with him or speak to his colleague, as fans, you can't really know that. There are too many under-performing positions on this team to refer to that guy as a good coach. Game management is not his only issue. Better yet, a good coach would win more than a good manager because they'd put all their players in position to win early. Rivera is just winging it. He has no plan or philosophies. You're telling me a guy who wouldn't attempt a 50 yard field goal before half time has a plan? The guy have no ball to be a head coach. Just my opinion.