69 replies to this topic

#31 pantherj

pantherj

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:36 AM

Don't forget Dallas and Seattle

I forgot about the Dallas game, but I did say Seattle. You know what's weird is that I don't really remember the Dallas game. I watched it last season, and now I have no memory of it for some reason. It's weird.

#32 RelaxImaPro

RelaxImaPro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,467 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:40 AM

And the 2nd Tampa game.  We shut them down all fuging game only for them to score like 11 points or some dumb poo in the final 3-4 minutes of the game.  Then a fuging go ahead TD in OT...

What kind of poo is that?

#33 GoApps70

GoApps70

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:48 AM

We are ranked that low?

tumblr_inline_mkuss0mApX1qz4rgp_zps14249

#34 Udogg

Udogg

Cardiac Victim since 95

• HUDDLER
  • 3,385 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:54 AM

12-4

All the bad luck, unlucky bounces, poor play calling,  bad clock management,  untimely drops,  overthrows, and mind numbing fumbles are about to end.   It all evens out.  Just like all the bad years prior to 2003,   then all of a sudden we get all the breaks.    There is not one team on the schedule that I feel we can't beat.  Matter of fact there is probably only 2 that would beat us if we both played our best games.

#35 Achilles

Achilles

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:57 AM

This kind of analysis is encouraging, especially when you consider the Football Outsiders has our defense ranking 3rd in the league (I think it is suspect though if it has to do with yards allowed, maybe we will be better on points allowed).  If they play like the team that beat down the Ravens, then these projections will prove prophetic.

Right here toward the very beginning of the season, I am starting to see a few media outlets tout us as a sleeper.  The last time that happened was 10 years ago.  Coming off a 7-9 season with John Fox, the Panthers were the surprise pick to make a playoff push.  Went all the way to the Superbowl.  Not saying we will this year...just saying...I am getting some of the same vibes...

Exciting!

#36 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:00 AM

Last year we were projected to finish 10th:  http://www.footballo...voa-projections.  We actually finished 18th, based on records.

So, if you have the talent to generate statistics like that, yet still manage a losing record, where is the disconnect coming from? 

#37 CharlottePanther

CharlottePanther

HUDDLER

• Stop Making Threads...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:02 AM

Don't forget Dallas and Seattle

And the Tampa Bay game where we literally had a 8 pt lead with 58 seconds left in the game and they came back and took it in ot

#38 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 20,312 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:18 AM

Last year we were projected to finish 10th: http://www.footballo...voa-projections. We actually finished 18th, based on records.

So, if you have the talent to generate statistics like that, yet still manage a losing record, where is the disconnect coming from?

Rivera

#39 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,512 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:23 AM

Thanks for the vote of confidence, FO, but all it takes is a few boneheaded Ron Rivera decisions and once again we're staring at another lousy 2-8 record to start off

#40 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,583 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:24 AM

I suggest everyone read and or sub to ProFootBall focus and Football Outsiders.

They do the poo ESPN and NFL network should be doing.

#41 TimTom

TimTom

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:29 AM

Man, that projection would have us playing a pretty epic journey as the 4th division winner.

First up would be the 49ers as the first wild card followed by GB as the 1st seed bye.  Then we'd face the winner of WAS vs. SEA (assuming the Taints lose to WAS). 

So our route to THIS hypothetical Super Bowl would put us up against Kaepernick, then Rodgers, followed by either RGIII or Wilson .  If our team (Cam to the MSM/press) ran that table, wow.  That'd be some epic crow eating.

But, it won't be anything like that I'm sure, although I do like FO stuff typically.

#42 RelaxImaPro

RelaxImaPro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,467 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:30 AM

Ha, well they predicted the Saints to have the worst defense in the NFL in 2012.  Hell, their 2012 predictions really weren't that bad.  I mean some stick out like a sore thumb like the Jets (but who expected that big of an implosion?) and the Colts, Seahawks, and Redskins pretty much came out of nowhere and were impossible to predict anything for.

#43 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,146 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:44 AM

I am a big fan of FO. They do great work. And their analysis seems spot on to me.

Now we need to play up to our abilities.

#44 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:02 AM

This really isn't that crazy.  We had a top 10 defense last year and now we have Beason back, Short, Star in the front 7 and more experience in the secondary.  It only makes sense we'll be better.  Not to mention Rivera has fielded two different #1 defenses with a 3-4 and a 4-3 in the past (Bears, Chargers).   If there is one thing he knows, it's defense.  I know McDermott is the DC but you know Rivera has a hand in there.

The offense was a top 5 offensive before last year, with relatively the same roster (offensive line differences).  

This SHOULD be a good team.   Now, if that'll happen, we'll see, but we were historically unlucky last year in close games, even if we win half of the close games last year, we are a playoff team, and the same the year before.  

#45 carolinarolls

carolinarolls

Mel's brother Del

• HUDDLER
  • 5,355 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:10 AM

This is a game where performance does not always equal results. We were better than 7-9 last season.

This season we might not be completely deserving of all 10 of our regular season victories.

But we are better in somegood places and I love our chances to compete

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com