#61 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,541 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:04 PM

This makes me so angry.

I feel betrayed. When Rivera was hired he preached about being aggressive on both sides of the ball and he preached about making decisions based off of the personnel available as opposed to strictly adhering to a system.

I've grown comfortably numb already. :/

Rivera has become Obama

#62 sanjay_rajput

sanjay_rajput

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  • Locationstarkville, ms

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:09 PM

from grantland....screw espn and nfl and SI....grantland/bill barnwell is what you should be reading.

excerpt:

rivera, at the end of games, puts this team in a situation that is a proven losing strategy...at least here it is. he sets them up to lose. to fail.

and then he blames execution.

yah.

we where # 12  1st down conversion with total of 328

we made 43.1 % of our 3rd down attempts which is top 6

#63 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,613 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:13 PM

If Rivera continues to coach his team like he's never actually seen it play, he's not going to be a head coach much longer.

We can all only hope...

#64 Raleighcat83

Raleighcat83

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:34 PM

If he went for it on 4th and 1 he should be fired. He kicked on 4th and 1. He should be fired. It's not about these individual decisions, it's about a collection of talent that a certain Denver head coach whose name rhymes with Sean Box would have had in the playoffs easily. It's about an owner that screwed over the team to send a message to the union, fired coach "Box", passed over the higher ranked free agent coaches to sign the cheap one, then held on to the guy who engineered last years disaster, now with an extra crappy OC who's basically despised by the fanbases of every team he's ever been associated with. But yeah, we should go for it on 4th and 1, as Romer (2005) showed. But that's not the main problem.

#65 carolinanimal

carolinanimal

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:40 PM

all you need to know about ron rivera is in his presser he said that " he didnt want to make a desperate move this early in the season." that shows you his personality. 

#66 TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

Cam Nut Hugger

• HUDDLER
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:51 PM

No

Just simply no.

If we had went for it and failed no one would care, because Rivera would have finally shown some balls.

Also like the stats and common sense state....they would have likely tied the game rather than won it....so we would have had OT.

Yea, that guy couldnt be more wrong. I would NEVER be mad at Rivera for playing for the win at this juncture, not in that spot.... it wasn't like it was our own 21. There's nothign wrong with making aggressive mistakes... its just what this team needs.

Why can't no nuts ron see that. "Boys, get us one yard and we go home winners. I believe in you."

And thats what you tell people if it doesn't work out "I believed in my guys" say to the press. No one will fault that.

He's just such a sackless loser, has Rivera ever heard of testes?

#67 Silent Majority

Silent Majority

Fuggin' Panther Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 2,884 posts
  • LocationPrinceton, freaking, New Jersey.

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:07 PM

from grantland....screw espn and nfl and SI....grantland/bill barnwell is what you should be reading.

excerpt:
rivera, at the end of games, puts this team in a situation that is a proven losing strategy...at least here it is. he sets them up to lose. to fail.

and then he blames execution.

yah.

This can't be correct. I was under the impression, that it was Cam's fault! He can't win, when the game is on the line. *Great post*

#68 Snake

Snake

Im on the Gus Bus

• HUDDLER
  • 12,129 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:09 PM

Another wasted season. Its hard to believe Rivera is going down as the worst head coach in panthers history. Just goes to show how bad Hurney truly was.

#69 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,914 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:59 PM

Another wasted season. Its hard to believe Rivera is going down as the worst head coach in panthers history.

Second Worst

#70 Carolina Cajun

Carolina Cajun

Short Bus Allstar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:49 AM

Yea, that guy couldnt be more wrong. I would NEVER be mad at Rivera for playing for the win at this juncture, not in that spot.... it wasn't like it was our own 21. There's nothign wrong with making aggressive mistakes... its just what this team needs.

Why can't no nuts ron see that. "Boys, get us one yard and we go home winners. I believe in you."

And thats what you tell people if it doesn't work out "I believed in my guys" say to the press. No one will fault that.

He's just such a sackless loser, has Rivera ever heard of testes?

I agree with you 100%, but I will say, also remember that on the flip side, he'll say "Our defense played well, and I believed in our defense to make the stop".  It's completely a moronic statement considering we haven't had a 2 minute stop on defense when up by less than a TD in years, but that is his line of thinking, no matter how insanely stupid it is.

#71 DaveThePanther2008

DaveThePanther2008

Gonna live and die as a faithful Panther Fan

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,435 posts
  • LocationMelfa

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:17 AM

I was on the bandwagon last year for cutting him lose.  I thought his ballless approach was not what this team needed. 

We were pounding them.  they were looking for the run. Quick slant, Olsen up the middle. Game Over.  Rivera was so damn head strong that he didn't want to throw the ball.   If you are going to kick the field goal.  You tell Cam If he is open let it rip.  If not, take the sack and we'll kick a field goal.  You could have easily thrown the ball. 

He may have been a great player but he is spineless when it comes to making a tough decision to end the game. 

One other thing.  How do you not protect the side lines. With no time outs.

#72 Achilles

Achilles

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:42 AM

The writer of the quoted article is right.  If we had not made the first down, the Bills would have been in FG or bust mode.  With a rookie QB they wouldn't have even conceived of trying to get a TD to win the game.  They would have played to tie the game at home and gone into OT.  Instead, RR forced them to have to beat us and they did.  If we go for that 4th and 1 and make it...game over.  If we don't make it...tie ball game and a chance to win in OT.  If we kick the FG, we expose our weak secondary to the onslaught that just happened.  You can say that the PI on Kuechly was ticky-tack and maybe it was, but that just proves that the risk RR took was far greater than the one he refused to take.

We keep losing like this and it is a case study in insanity.  At 0-2 we are not necessarily finished (esp since one of those losses is out of the conference).  But I don't really see this team winning more than 4 or 5 games unless something drastic changes.

If we lose to NYG I think they should just can Rivera and promote McDermott on an interim basis.

#73 Snake

Snake

Im on the Gus Bus

• HUDDLER
  • 12,129 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:42 AM

Second Worst

Every other coach had us at least in the playoff hunt once so Rivera is THE worst.

#74 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,299 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:13 AM

the risk RR took was far greater than the one he refused to take.

this simple statement perfectly encapsulates the entirety of ron rivera's tenure as head coach and will likely be written on his headstone at the end of his time  in charlotte.

I've been saying this over and over and over, yet people would still argue the rationale of him giving the other team the ball and trusting his defense to stop the other team and protect the score.

they say it's safe game management. i have contended since that first game in atlanta last year that it isn't safe, that it's a flawed strategy. i've been preaching and preaching that in today's NFL you CANNOT give the other team an opoortunity to score. you CANNOT trust your defense to hold another team back regardless of field position or time remaining on the clock if the score is close. it's a frikkin passing leagelue now and the rules are set up to protect it and make it easy to get huge chunks of yardage in a small amount of time. the only truly afe place for the ball to be in ANY situation is in the hands of your offense. i don't care how good you think your defense is, it's a flawed method of game management. screw trust in your defense. count on their failure and don't set them up for it by putting them in that situation.

what makes that even worse is knowing just how bad our secondary is, even moreso sunday when a weak secondary was beat up to the point you were considering playing LBs as safeties. it's stupid and it's inexcusable, esp. when you have cam frikkin newton on your team and are better than pretty much anyone at getting 1 yard on third and fourth down.

don't talk to me about having faith in your defense...esp. that sucky secondary that gets abused frequently....talk to me about having faith in your franchise QB and the tools at his disposal.

last year we underutilized a top notch RB corps. this year we underutilize our QB. worse than that, we put him in a box and brainwash him into believing that he needs to be in that box.

shame on the coaching staff of this team for putting our team in thise situations.

shame on this coaching staff for sending them out there undisciplined and unprepared for those situations, setting them up for failure by putting them in game plans that plays to their weakness rather than their strengths.

shame on river for blaming them for not not excuting a game plan that was as flawed as it was.

i tend to stay away from honking my own horn and i don't think that anyone should ever listen to me more than any other dummy on this board because i'm probably wrong more often than i am right and those moments that i am right is this blind squirrel finding a nut, but this poo has bothered me a lot.

we see it happen over and over and over, yet this team under rivera keeps doing it over and over. just because i'm not a football coach and never been a coach doesn't mean i can't see a bad strategy when it happens and can't spot abject failure. rivera might be a nice guy. the players might love him and have total faith in him, but none of that matters when you are 2-14 or whatever in games won or lost by 7 or less points and have an overall losing record.

rivera has no business managing a game in the NFL.

#75 CarolinaAllDay

CarolinaAllDay

NY Panther's Fan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:42 AM

I even left the game at the 2 minute warning and thought the Panthers had it in the bag.. got out to the parking lot and heard the crowd freak out....

BTW, how bad were you harassed for being in Panthers gear??

Suprisingly not too bad. When I was in the bathroom they were making some homosexual jokes reguarding cam. And on the way out I got heckled but it was all in good fun. We deserved whatever they said

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com