best analysis of rivera's history of close losses

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#41 dos poptarts

dos poptarts

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:53 AM

Just like everyone else here....when he decided to kick the FG and go up '6'. I knew how this story would end.

Rivera is incapable of change, of learning from mistakes. If he goes for it and the Panthers still lose the game, meh, it's the snakebit Panthers.....unfortunately we're used to it. But he did the exact same thing as before and we got the exact same result.

I was so pissed that I wanted G-man to fire Rivera before he could get on the bus @ the stadium and his ass would fly on his dime back to Charlotte to clean out his desk. I don't care what the players say....a 3rd slow start....he's lost the team. They'll still play hard, but we're approaching 2001 Seifert area here. Which BTW, had the Panthers playing the AFC East and lost to Buffalo 24-25 (6pt lead going into the 4th QTR).

Notes from this game: http://scores.espn.g...ameId=211209002

• "It's unreal," Panthers safety Mike Minter said. "Every week. I didn't believe it was possible. Twelve weeks in a row we've been talking about the same thing."
  • Carolina's futility has been remarkable this season. Seven of the Panthers losses have come by a combined 17 points. They've also lost 10 games when leading or holding a tie in the second half.

My new goals in watching the Panthers this season. Two weeks in and playoffs, winning record, winning the South....those goals are gone.

1. Beat Miami to close the book on opponents the Panthers have never beaten.
  2. Sweep Falcons and keep them out of the post-season.
  3. Continue padding Smith's stats....path to the Hall of Fame continues....
  4. Star to be on the list of possible DROY, if not win it outright.

#42 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

Moderators

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:00 AM

I would not of bashed him.....if he went for a yard to end a game and failed. If Buffalo then went 80 yards with no timeouts to win....they would have deserved it for both he stop and game winning drive.

RR would have made of simply made it harder for to win....props to Buff if they would have done it

Yeah, to me, the second FG to make it a 6 point lead is a moot point. It's useless. In either case, whether you have a 3 point lead or a 6 point lead, if they drive down and score a TD, you lose. So it doesn't matter. If you trust your defense to hold them from scoring if you're up 6, you should go for it on 4th down and trust them to hold them scoreless if you're only up 3.

#43 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationAt the lake
HUDDLER

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:04 AM

I have waited 24 hours for the lunacy to end for some people and for me to be again semi-rational.  I understand the whole we should have gone for it on 4th and 1.  But I don't agree we didn't try and win it.  Didn't Cam throw a deep ball to the endzone to LaFell on the last series?  Sure it was ridiculously high and overthrown but he did take a shot.  In fact we took a number of deep shots yesterday, more than I can remember in a while.

Again not defending the 4th and 1 just saying I do think we did try and win the game and we didn't just run it 3 times and rely on the defense.  We did take almost 4 minutes off the clock right??

#44 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:08 AM

I have waited 24 hours for the lunacy to end for some people and for me to be again semi-rational. I understand the whole we should have gone for it on 4th and 1. But I don't agree we didn't try and win it. Didn't Cam throw a deep ball to the endzone to LaFell on the last series? Sure it was ridiculously high and overthrown but he did take a shot. In fact we took a number of deep shots yesterday, more than I can remember in a while.

Again not defending the 4th and 1 just saying I do think we did try and win the game and we didn't just run it 3 times and rely on the defense. We did take almost 4 minutes off the clock right??

I agree.

I hate the 4th down call....should of tried to win yet there. As for the rest leading up to it....I think they tried to win

#45 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:13 AM

:30 seconds is too much time left on the clock when you are up less than 10 points, regardless of field position.

we've proven you can't leave any time on that clock when you have less than 10 points.

it's beyond stupid stupid to keep trying it.

it doesn't work. not with us. not with this secondary.

the fact that we are typically so good in short yardage situations and have the QB we have makes it inexcusable.

#46 BIGH2001

BIGH2001

HUDDLER

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:23 AM

Failure to adapt to personnel has shown itself in more than one way with Rivera. We lost at least three games last year (week 1 vs. Tampa, Seattle and Dallas) due to the inability to stop using the read option so damn much and actually come out with a viable attack.

We've lost games because of Olindo Mare, turnovers (Deangelo), blowing large leads (Tampa at home last year, Chicago in 2012, Atlanta in 2011) and we've also lost to downright shitty opponents (KC last year, Arizona in 2011). 

So basically whether it's a failure to adapt, failure to come up with a game plan to beat overmatched opponents, failure to make adjustments to hold on to large leads, etc etc etc etc, it all comes back to one thing: Ron Rivera is a failure as a head coach. 

#47 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE
HUDDLER

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

At the end of the day, it was one yard. ONE YARD! Sorry, I am just ol' skool.  If your team can't make one yard, with a big ass bowling ball at FB, or one of the bigger and stronger QBs in the game, then what's the fuging point?  

#48 SevenSixes

SevenSixes

Born a moron

• PipPipPipPip
  • LocationAsheville
HUDDLER

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:04 PM

The players haven't lost faith in Ron Rivera, Ron has lost faith in his players..

#49 NYPantherFan

NYPantherFan

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:06 PM

I watched this implosion live. Buffalo fans were LEAVINg the damn stadium during that drive. Shows they had no faith in their team, meanwhile me and my dad had a deep feeling that the td would happen... I drove 10 hours to watch rivera poo the bed.

I even left the game at the 2 minute warning and thought the Panthers had it in the bag.. got out to the parking lot and heard the crowd freak out....

BTW, how bad were you harassed for being in Panthers gear?? 

#50 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

SUPPORTER

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:13 PM

That is true, but unlike Rivera I can use past history to make determinations based on similar circumstances.

:)

This is one of the best comebacks the huddle has ever seen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users