Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Server Upgrade Tonight...

104 posts in this topic

Posted

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Radio Shack TRS ("Trash")-80. The latest and greatest....

Zod, let me know if you want to do a Kickstarter campaign to help fund this bad boy....

trs80l.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Holy shit I did the same thing... those commodore's were awesome.

Did you have the 5 1/4" disk drive that looked like a toaster?  I also had the tape drive for a while... talk about old school.

I could record songs on the radio AND save programs to the same cassette = badass.

We had this...

sx64.jpg

I stared at a 5 inch screen for most of my childhood

1 person likes this

Posted

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Radio Shack TRS ("Trash")-80. The latest and greatest....

Zod, let me know if you want to do a Kickstarter campaign to help fund this bad boy....

trs80l.jpg

We had this very computer in my 6th grade classroom.  If I'm adding that up right that would be circa 1983.  Don't think we had the fancy monitor though... probably just used old B&W TVs

Posted

We had this...

sx64.jpg

I stared at a 5 inch screen for most of my childhood

Sweet, I didn't have the portable... I had this one...

commodore64_skaparenar_382911.jpg

...and I used an old 11" B&W TV.  Talk about badass... I got a brand new 13" COLOR TV one Christmas for it.  

1 person likes this

Posted

My grandfather gave me my first computer when I was 13, it was an old one that didn't do poo but word processor type of work. So I took it apart to see what was in it, I guess that was my launch into IT nerdem.. pays the bills nicely

Yeah my father who was an engineer at Sprint at the time would take me to the office with him sometimes and just sit me in front of a computer when I was 7 and say.. Have fun. Learn this. It will pay off.. 

Couldn't stick with the IT stuff in the civilian world because I hate slow computers with an absolute passion and fixing Email and Printer issues drove me insane. Soooo I went with a little more in depth on the hardware side of things and work on all the wires/boxes/relays/avionics of aircraft in the navy eh.. You name it everything is monitored and works off of electricity now a days. I thank that man every day because its like I see 1's and 0's in the matrix when it comes to fixing and troubleshooting this stuff. Definitely made me a very decorated man in the service.

Posted

If any of you nerds want to see where IT is headed, check out the link below. Cisco UCS platform is nuts. You can take a chasis that holds 6 - 8 blade servers, with each blade having 60 CPU cores and 1TB of RAM, on a 80gigabit backplane. The amount of poo you can put on one of these is insane as is the amount of I/O it can handle. We have taken our customers entire datacenters and collapsed it down to two of these chasis for redundancy and have tons of room for growth. One chasis alone can easily run 200-300 virtual machines depening on RAM requirements.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10265/index.html

Posted

For the record, I still have a working Commodore 64 setup...  First PC I ever bought...

Hell, it's probably time for me to upgrade?

2 people like this

Posted

If any of you nerds want to see where IT is headed, check out the link below. Cisco UCS platform is nuts. You can take a chasis that holds 6 - 8 blade servers, with each blade having 60 CPU cores and 1TB of RAM, on a 80gigabit backplane. The amount of poo you can put on one of these is insane as is the amount of I/O it can handle. We have taken our customers entire datacenters and collapsed it down to two of these chasis for redundancy and have tons of room for growth. One chasis alone can easily run 200-300 virtual machines depening on RAM requirements.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10265/index.html

Holy fugging pooh! 

1 person likes this

Posted

For the record, I still have a working Commodore 64 setup...  First PC I ever bought...

Hell, it's probably time for me to upgrade?

It still works!?! That thing has to be worth something man.

1 person likes this

Posted

It still works!?! That thing has to be worth something man.

That's what I was thinking.

My buddy (that same boss from my earlier post) has a working Packard Bell 486 SX at his house...  and that's at least what, 7-8 years newer than a Commodore?

1 person likes this

Posted

I think we just made the rest of the huddle stop gawk and say what the fug?

1 person likes this

Posted

So to sum it up, we're going from this...

hamster_brown_1.jpg

To this?

tumblr_lscerwq3JH1qitgaqo1_500.gif

1 person likes this