Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

restNChrist

Can someone explain to me What the downside is to Firing Rivera mid-season

52 posts in this topic

Who else would run the show?  What kind of message does it send to your guys?  "Welp, I guess since there's no coach, I'd better play it safe so I can find a job next year."  Or "Welp, I guess I can blame my bad year on no coach."  Or "Man, I really liked Coach Rivera, and I will hate whoever replaces him on principle!"  (Actually, that happens in all professions)

Rivera will finish the year because we have no other options.  He will also finish because his team still tries, still plays hard.  That's something!  And let's not forget that Rivera did go for it on 4th and 1 and LaFell dropped it because he wanted to start running...

The team is a product of Rivera.  May not always be good, but they do try really hard.  Better than the Jags.  

Actually, there is a downside...

We're not going to bring anyone in from the outside.  So, we're not going to get someone to help Cam and his development.

However, I feel that Rivera has been a positive influence on Keek, and I think that he will continue to benefit from him for the rest of the season.

As much as the offense suffers with Rivera as HC, the defense improves.  I think that if our defensive leader can absorb more of Rivera's past experience, it can have a really big positive, long term.

I'm not saying keep Rivera all season, but right now, the season isn't completely gone yet.  Let's see what we can do.  I just hope our offense finds some kind of identity...

kudos mav, i was hoping someone could bring a good argument and you have... my problem is... do we have proof that Rivera has been instrumental in developing anyone so far?

1-3 is a better situation this year because we are only 2 games out of the wildcard. Pretty much done but 2 wins is not out of the question despite how bad we have looked.

I would do it at 1-4.

Anyway here is an article on firing coaches midseason

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000094539/article/midseason-coach-firings-are-last-resort-for-nfl-decisionmakers

Not being a smart azz but is this true?? I hear this all time but I haven't seen anything credible to prove it.

JR has the final word. There is no doubt.

Just look at our past history. It was Jerry who was behind the purging of our roster in 2010. It was Jerry who decided to not pay two coaches at the same time and make John Fox a lame duck head coach that year. Now Jerry is doing the same thing with Ron Rivera this year.

It's happening right before our eyes.

2 people like this

As others have said, if Rivera is making our defensive players better then keep him on and let him keep doing it.

kudos mav, i was hoping someone could bring a good argument and you have... my problem is... do we have proof that Rivera has been instrumental in developing anyone so far?

Not exactly, but I would be surprised if he hasn't helped Keek a lot.

I do think that Rivera has some major issues relating to personnel, though, and while I think he has done a good job at times of coaching up the D I don't think our offense has responded at all.

I really regret us not spending the money to get Norv Turner this offseason.

I honestly can't see the downside, how much less prepared can we be?

The sad truth is that there's no real upside either.

There's no miracle comeback to be had out of this. No spark that ignites the players. There's no undiscovered SuperCoach to be had on our staff.

Any notion that it makes our season better is a pipe dream.

That Rivera is gone at the end of the year seems fairly certain. Having him gone sooner doesn't really make it any better. It's just another log on the dumpster fire.

1 person likes this

The sad truth is that there's no real upside either.

There's no miracle comeback to be had out of this. No spark that ignites the players. There's no undiscovered SuperCoach to be had on our staff.

Any notion that it makes our season better is a pipe dream.

That Rivera is gone at the end of the year seems fairly certain. Having him gone sooner doesn't really make it any better. It's just another log on the dumpster fire.

I'm sure the players are frustrated with the way things are, including the obvious ineptitude of this coaching staff, so firing Rivera and putting a guy like McDermott in charge might at least signal to the players that we're not going to settle for the status quo. 

1 person likes this

I'm sure the players are frustrated with the way things are, including the obvious ineptitude of this coaching staff, so firing Rivera and putting a guy like McDermott in charge might at least signal to the players that we're not going to settle for the status quo.

I'd say the Beason trade showed them that.

Gotta remember that Rivera is popular with the players. Firing him midseason may piss them off as much as anything.

Mind you, that's not a reason to keep him beyond this year.