Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,914 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:32 AM

(Edited)

He signed a four-year deal prior to the 2011 season. This is year three of that deal.

As it was with John Fox, if the Panthers decide it's time to move on they don't actually have to fire him. They can just decline to re-sign him.

If, however, they do want him to stay, they have to offer him a contract extension.

So, in your eyes, has Rivera done enough to earn such an extension?

#2 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 4,978 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:34 AM

No, not yet.  He seems to be turning the corner, but I like "Hotseat Rivera" over the overly cautious Rivera.  Give him an extension now and I'm afraid we'd go back to giving games away at the end because we were scared to actually go out there and just WIN the damn game.

#3 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • 4,595 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:34 AM

Season's not over yet, too soon.  Duh.

#4 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,417 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:35 AM

nope.

10 wins and/or playoffs.

if he does that, extend him for another year and see if he can get back to back winning seasons. if he can't cut him lose. if he can, then give him and extension.

as good as things are looking right now, final results are all that matter and there's a whole lot of football left.

#5 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,368 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:35 AM

At this point in the season?  No, and it's not even close.

Just 3 or 4 weeks ago the almost universal sentiment was fire him...  

Yes, he's won 3 in a row... yes it appears that he's at least learned from his earlier game management mistakes and has taken steps to improve in that area...

But I don't think we've seen anywhere near enough yet to say he deserves an extension.

We still haven't see a close game.  We still haven't seen him have to make a potential game winning 4th and short call. 

I will give him credit though for taking the step towards trusting the players more.  It's a start and I hope it continues.

#6 Bishop

Bishop

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationWashington DC

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:36 AM

Make the decision at the end of the season and see where we stand. I Hope we can ride this momentum into the playoffs. 

#7 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• HUDDLER
  • 5,158 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:36 AM

Make the playoffs, without reverting to old ways, and yes

#8 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 9,762 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:37 AM

before now, no.  we can't deny he has helped put together a stout defense, despite our best corner retiring, our best S going on IR, crazy cap problems, no DT's(prior to the rooks).  He brought in McDermott, Chud/Shula, drafted Cam but has had problems winning, especially close games.  if we continue the trend we are going, he should be resigned.

#9 KJ89

KJ89

bottom line

• HUDDLER
  • 2,911 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

He still has to prove that this new Rivera is legit

#10 Sean Payton's Vicodin

Sean Payton's Vicodin

Banned

• HUDDLER
  • 2,245 posts

no

#11 Udogg

Udogg

Cardiac Victim since 95

• HUDDLER
  • 3,367 posts

nope.

10 wins and/or playoffs.

if he does that, extend him for another year and see if he can get back to back winning seasons. if he can't cut him lose. if he can, then give him and extension.

as good as things are looking right now, final results are all that matter and there's a whole lot of football left.

I don't think you extend for another year.  You either sign him to another 3 year extension or you let him go. 

#12 SpeedOFLight

SpeedOFLight

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts
  • LocationGreensboro NC

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:38 AM

I believe he has turned to corner but we still have the rest of the reason to go. The guys seem to like him and play hard for him. Basically right now, he is playing for his extension (contract year in a sense). We have to make the playoffs in my opinion

#13 CardiacCats

CardiacCats

• HUDDLER
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:39 AM

hell no

#14 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 4,978 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:40 AM

before now, no.  we can't deny he has helped put together a stout defense, despite our best corner retiring, our best S going on IR, crazy cap problems, no DT's(prior to the rooks).  He brought in McDermott, Chud/Shula, drafted Cam but has had problems winning, especially close games.  if we continue the trend we are going, he should be resigned.

Agree.  However, I'd replace "best S" with "highest paid S".  I think it's been proven that Godfrey was not our best safety.  I just don't get it with Godfrey.  Both Fox and Rivera know defense, there's no disputing that and both seemed to love the guy.  However, what they've seen to love has just never fully transitioned to game day.

#15 Lout

Lout

Draft Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 2,420 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:40 AM

10 wins and/or playoffs for me as well.  I have seen improvement each and every year, and if he is able to attain 10 wins, then he deserves a new contract.  The players respect him, and play hard for him.. they believe in his system, and he has not lost the locker room.  This team is on the rise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com