Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brian Billick -> here is a freaking chart for Cam's "flat ball" (season long observation, not a gameday)

53 posts in this topic

Posted

The point that he's making, and it's a correct one, is that flat throws provide less of a margin for error. They travel faster and don't allow WR to adjust beneath the ball. You don't throw a ball of trash into a garbage can as hard as you can throw it. You put some loft on it and drop it in. On throws where Cam has guys uncontested down the field, he needs to get better at dropping it behind coverage and not trying to put it on a line directly to his guy. The margin for error is more negotiable that way. There are a lot of throws that need that urgent delivery, but there are a lot that don't too. Cam throws the ball as hard as he can virtually all the time. Part of learning to be a great QB is touch passing. He'll get there, but Billick's observations are spot on.

I have said this too.  Cam is a good QB and continues to grow but he needs to let his WR run under the ball.

That is a very tough art.  If anyone has ever played QB before you know how hard it is to lead a WR especially with the speed that Ginn and Smitty have.    He'll get better.

Posted

It's obvious why Billick isn't coaching in the NFL anymore. 

It seems like that fugger can hardly see the game. 

People over the age of 50 shouldn't be allowed to call games...

What are you talking about?  Billick knows what he is talking about.  And he is 100% correct on Cam in this case.  I'm sure Cam would agree with him too.  He does need to use more touch on some of this throws.  This is not a big secret or some big conspiracy.  

Posted

What are you talking about?  Billick knows what he is talking about.  And he is 100% correct on Cam in this case.  I'm sure Cam would agree with him too.  He does need to use more touch on some of this throws.  This is not a big secret or some big conspiracy.  

I was talking more in general. If you can stand to listen to Billick commentate the game and enjoy it, that really says a lot about you to me.. 

But in regards to his statement about a "flat ball" by Cam; he said the same thing after almost every incomplete pass, just beating a dead horse, even when it wasn't the case.  

Cam may have thrown a few balls that needed a little more air on them, but not near as much as Billick claimed.  

Posted

Cam's 6'5 and his favorite target is 5'9 the reality of it are some of his passes are gonna be high when throwing to Steve. The other passes I think soared due to the fact his was antsy with the mechanics. 

Posted

Dropping balls in a bucket worked out real well for Wienke......

Posted

Billick continuously made negative comments about Cam's mechanics/arc/decision making, which were not all bad observations. 

The PROBLEM is when Matt Ryan played much worse than Cam, and made even worse decisions, but was not attacked, and almost ignored.  It's a level of respect and credibility that some get that Cam doesn't get.  Matt Ryan made horrible throws, three int, and a pick six, and was forcing everything to Gonzales. 

Neither QB was great yesterday, but Ryan was outclassed by Cam yesterday, and if Billick was objective, he would've been much more fair with his criticism. 

Posted

Smith also gave up on that Corner TD throw. It was obvious it was a corner throw to the endzone the entire time. That wasn't on Cam.

Rivera said in the post game that Steve was running a stop route and Cam missed that read.

Posted

You should have made this into a pie chart of sorts.

Posted

Cam was late with his throw to Ginn on the deep route, or he could have led him more to the sideline. But with that being said, I really thought Ginn could have made a better play on that INT. The ball was in the air for awhile, and he totally misplayed it. How can a ball thrown 40+ yards end up being behind you so you can only reach back with one hand? You have to be able to adjust to the ball better than that. Worst case, knock it down for your QB.

Posted

Dropping balls in a bucket worked out real well for Wienke......

Not sure how it worked out for Wienke. However, after Dorsey had the QBs try the drill, Cam said he could understand the rationale behind it. For the record, Cam hit the 50 gal. drum once. From 40 yards, not bad. Don't remember the number of throws.

But it is like everything else he is trying to learn. They can go out the window in the heat of the battle.

The good news? The more he practices the good habits, the sooner they become learned behavior. When Cam sees these throws on tape, he can actually see, evaluate, then improve. He will file them away for future reference. Next time he is in that situation, he will instinctively know what to do. "I knew what to do because...well...I'd already done it."

If Cam has an off day once in a while? And we still spank you. I can live with that.

Cam was late with his throw to Ginn on the deep route, or he could have led him more to the sideline. But with that being said, I really thought Ginn could have made a better play on that INT. The ball was in the air for awhile, and he totally misplayed it. How can a ball thrown 40+ yards end up being behind you so you can only reach back with one hand? You have to be able to adjust to the ball better than that. Worst case, knock it down for your QB.

I had that thought drop in my head as well. But, from the replays, which were few and far between if you ask me, I couldn't see much of his route. Hard to tell where he is coming from.

And yeah. That was one pass Cam had some air under. Seems like Teddy had plenty of time to adjust.

Although, when Cam threw that ball the first thought out was, underthrow.

Posted

Not sure how it worked out for Wienke. However, after Dorsey had the QBs try the drill, Cam said he could understand the rationale behind it. For the record, Cam hit the 50 gal. drum once. From 40 yards, not bad. Don't remember the number of throws.

Oh I agree it was just a little tongue in cheek stuff.  Wienke was supposedly a wizard at the "bucket" drill.     I'd love to see Cam get a little more touch on this throws when he's going over defenders.

Posted

Rivera said in the post game that Steve was running a stop route and Cam missed that read.

I think you have that wrong my friend. And I this point I think you would already know that by now.  :startle: