14 replies to this topic

#1 cookinbrak

cookinbrak

tastes like chicken...

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,229 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:18 AM

My wireless works 95% of the time, but someone nearby is knocking me off occasionally. I don't suspect them of trying to piggyback, I think it's just the signals interfering with each other. Is there anything I can check?

#2 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 19,046 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:31 AM

is it password protected?

#3 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • 10,789 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:29 AM

Check for firmware updates (both router and modem)

#4 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,019 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:29 AM

It would be extremely unusual for another router's signal to be interfering with your own signal.  Its more likely that you have a problem with your modem, or  router, or the router's power supply/cord, or that you are losing your signal from your provider temporarily.  I had DSL from ATT with a 2wire gateway, and a bad power supply caused my connection to drop at least twice a day.  Once I replaced it, the problems stopped. 

My suggestion would be to call the provider.  I know that time warner can monitor the connection from the outside, get some information when it drops.  They should be able to at least tell you if the drop is inside or outside.

Also, does your router have logs, and if so, can you see any error codes in them?  If you find an error code, google it and it might give you a clue as to what is happening. 

And Mr Belding's suggestion is a good one as well.  Make sure you are running the latest software.  In fact, that should be the first thing you do.

#5 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:41 AM

Joining Mr Belding and DDII on this...

Time for someone to bring up Occam's Razor

Start with the simple solutions, bad hardware, out of date firmware, updated wireless drivers before you go to some exotic interference issue.

The likelihood that you are getting "knocked off" by someone else's devices are pretty slim.

#6 cardiackat88.

cardiackat88.

NFL GURU

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:24 PM

From my experiences as a cable guy, you may have what is called "high transmit levels" which causes you to be thrown off of your services.

I am not saying call the cable company right away, my company charged $30 if it was customer owned equipment causing the problem.

Also, are you using any splitters bought from a store?

I once had a case where the services were going in and out with perfectly good levels, but the connectors were not on very tight, so check those.

#7 cookinbrak

cookinbrak

tastes like chicken...

• HUDDLER
  • 3,229 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:12 PM

In the "Wireless Connection" window, it only shows my network. But occasionally, it lags badly and shows at least 3 different networks. I'm not setup to connect automatically, but it has to reconnect to my network. They all list the same radio and security type.

#8 cookinbrak

cookinbrak

tastes like chicken...

• HUDDLER
  • 3,229 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:43 PM

My network is Isabelle. When it cuts out, I get this.....

Internet_zps719d65be.jpg

#9 Jakob

Jakob

never conquered rarely came

• Stop Making Threads...
  • 4,021 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:08 PM

Did you try turning it off and back on again?

#10 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:22 AM

So the connection to your network is OK but the actual internet (web browsing, etc) cuts out?   If you continue to stay connected to your network itself it's most likely not anything like conflicting signals, microwaves, etc that is causing it.  

Is this happening very often?  You could try connecting your cable modem directly to a PC and see if it cuts out in the allotted time frame that way you can figure out if it's your connection or the router.   Some routers just start getting testy and need reboots more often.

#11 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 19,046 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:21 AM

My wifi is named Turtle Power :)

#12 cultclassiccat

cultclassiccat

flash

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationG spot

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:41 AM

Mine is called Cam Swag.

Sent from my VS910 4G using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#13 cardiackat88.

cardiackat88.

NFL GURU

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:55 PM

What else have you used to troubleshoot?

Do you use any other devices that can you can compare the connection to? Like another computer or tablet or anything?

Have you tried hooking the computer straight to a hard connection and seeing if it continues to cut out?

I would try hard connecting it to the wireless router first, and if it cuts out still hard connect it to your modem and compare, if that's the set up you are using.

These two methods can give you a better idea to narrow your problem.

#14 cookinbrak

cookinbrak

tastes like chicken...

• HUDDLER
  • 3,229 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:06 PM

I think it may be something in my computer, because the wireless reaches my moms house and I've never seen the multiple networks thing there. My wife's tablet cuts out, but there's no telling if it's the same reason.

#15 SmokinwithWilly

SmokinwithWilly

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:37 PM

One thing that caused problems for me was trying to wrap around corners with wifi. Usually if I had a signal having to make more than 4 90 degree turns I would notice a downturn in my service. Also, had an issue with the refridgerator on the other side of the wall causing interference. Moved the router 3 feet and didn't have any more problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com