27 replies to this topic

#1 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:49 PM

It's called 'The Wire'.  I'm about 10 episodes in and it's not half  bad.  You guys should check it out.

#2 Doyle

Doyle

Headed to the county line

• HUDDLER
  • 6,095 posts
  • LocationRiverboat Rivera

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:11 PM

Never heard of it.

#3 cardiackat88.

cardiackat88.

NFL GURU

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:31 PM

I've got about ten episodes left, it is talked about A LOT on the huddle, which is leading me to sense sarcasm, but I could be wrong.

I started watching it when a debate over best show ever broke out, it and Breaking Bad.

#4 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 47,211 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:47 PM

Is it about toasters? We need a show about toasters.

#5 cardiackat88.

cardiackat88.

NFL GURU

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:55 PM

Stringer Bell is playing Nelson Mandela in the upcoming movie, by the way.

#6 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:23 PM

I've got about ten episodes left, it is talked about A LOT on the huddle, which is leading me to sense sarcasm, but I could be wrong.

I started watching it when a debate over best show ever broke out, it and Breaking Bad.

No debate to me.  Breaking Bad was better.  If I were to score it so far...I'd give BB a 9.5 and The Wire an 8.24.

#7 cardiackat88.

cardiackat88.

NFL GURU

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:34 PM

No debate to me. Breaking Bad was better. If I were to score it so far...I'd give BB a 9.5 and The Wire an 8.24.

It gets much better, and the seasons are very diverse. The plot continues but different aspects of the city are shown. Major characters remain, but new ones come too.

I do think your grade is spot on though.

#8 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• HUDDLER
  • 4,988 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:39 PM

The Wire...I will forever be an absolute TV snob in regards to it and criticize anyone who hasn't watched it. 

#9 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:17 AM

It gets much better, and the seasons are very diverse. The plot continues but different aspects of the city are shown. Major characters remain, but new ones come too.

I do think your grade is spot on though.

I'm not doubting it can get better, but so far it's not the "be all, end all" of TV shows.  So far, in my TV viewing experience, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, are better.  Not by much, but still better.  My opinion may change as the show goes on though, since I'm only about 10 episodes in.

What it is, is a very well written, well acted, well produced TV show...no doubt about that.

#10 cardiackat88.

cardiackat88.

NFL GURU

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:50 PM

I'm not doubting it can get better, but so far it's not the "be all, end all" of TV shows. So far, in my TV viewing experience, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, are better. Not by much, but still better. My opinion may change as the show goes on though, since I'm only about 10 episodes in.

What it is, is a very well written, well acted, well produced TV show...no doubt about that.

It took me forever to figure out where I had seen him before, but the actor who played "Gale" from Breaking Bad is on season 5 of The Wire.

#11 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:16 AM

I'm 5 episodes into Season 2 and I gotta say, I'm not feeling it.  Season 1 was great.  So far season 2 is meh.

#12 cardiackat88.

cardiackat88.

NFL GURU

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:21 PM

I'm 5 episodes into Season 2 and I gotta say, I'm not feeling it. Season 1 was great. So far season 2 is meh.

2 was my least favorite, by far.

Five will blow you away.

#13 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:36 PM

Oh, I will watch the rest of the series.  Season 2 just feels like they weren't expecting to be renewed and just threw something together at the last minute.  It just feels rushed.  Not to mention that the new characters really aren't that interesting or appealing. 

#14 cardiackat88.

cardiackat88.

NFL GURU

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:00 PM

Oh, I will watch the rest of the series. Season 2 just feels like they weren't expecting to be renewed and just threw something together at the last minute. It just feels rushed. Not to mention that the new characters really aren't that interesting or appealing.

I thought the characters were mighty dry, too.

It's supposed to be the "working man" aspect of the city.

It was kinda stale to me too, but it's made up for in later seasons.

You will meet some major players for later on the series in 2.

#15 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:37 AM

The Wire is better than Breaking Bad, and I'm one of the biggest Breaking Bad fans out there, and was since the beginning.  The Wire paints a very very realistic picture of an entire city dealing with corruption, politics, crime, and even the education system.  It does this but keeps it a TV show and not a documentary.  It also juggles dozens of characters, all of whom are great actors, and does a great job at having them all matter and have a part of the storyline.  Game of Thrones "may" come before it's all said and done because of the tons of actors and great casting, but The Wire did a great job AND kept it very realistic and interesting, no one has came close.   If The Wire didn't come out so early and waited 5 or so years to be released in the golden age of TV right now it would be the most talked about show and would be winning tons of awards.  People look at TV different now, which is awesome.  

I'm not sure it's fair to compare The Wire really to any show though, it's in a world by itself, not because it was so great, but it's just so different.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com