Photo
- - - - -

Franchise Tag rules explained (hopefully)

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 jtm

jtm

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:52 AM

Don't know how to make this any more clear: If the player is tagged with the non-exclusive tag, it's two first rounders with no negotiating. There can be negotiations after that deal, but the offering team has to give up its next two consecutive original first round draft picks. If it's the exclusive tag, then the offer of picks can be whatever the teams agree on, but it's unlikely any team would enter that deal because the money is greater and there's no guarantee of a long term deal.

Who would give up two 1st rounders for any player? I guess you have to do a handshake deal and trade your future picks with the other team as an earlier poster mentioned. I'd be super happy if we could get one first rounder out of this.

#32 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

_RUN FOZZY RUN_

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,314 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:41 AM

Who would give up two 1st rounders for any player? I guess you have to do a handshake deal and trade your future picks with the other team as an earlier poster mentioned. I'd be super happy if we could get one first rounder out of this.

The Panthers gave up 2 first rounders once for an FT'd player. What a disaster that was.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#33 ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

Insane Racist Moron

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,465 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

Would depend on the tag type.

Exclusive - negotiate whatever terms for the trade, but the other team has no long term guarantee with the player.

Non-exclusive - other team gets a long term guarantee and would avoid paying the franchise tender, but those two first rounders are gone.

If this sounds like it makes it harder to tag and trade a player, that's the point. The compromise in the CBA negotiations was that the league could use a new formula for determining franchise tag values, while the union made it less enticing for a team to prevent a player from entering free agency. As with any hastily thrown together compromise, there's loopholes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com