• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#49 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• LocationSC
SUPPORTER

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:15 PM

Missing the point, it's about the predictability of the weather. The less predictable, Northeast winter weather, the more likely you need to become contingent. The more predictable, South to Southwest winter weather, the less likely you are to need the contingency. I'm a numbers guy, you don't put your most valuables in the most risky environments.

When was the last time a Super Bowl didn't happen as planned?

#50 Jangler

Jangler

oddly perched

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:36 PM

10 days out...

7e24eb303703603.jpg 

#51 Jangler

Jangler

oddly perched

HUDDLER

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:38 PM

Superbowl 38.

too soon?

#52 MtnProwler

MtnProwler

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:42 PM

93% of the Super Bowls have been either South of Atlanta, Southern Cali, or lower Texas; 6% have been played in either the NE or MW, of those 6%, they were all in domes. Maybe one has used a contingency plan from what I know. Not sure how much clearer I can be with all of this. During that same time frame this became the most popular game in the world, why risk losing viewership, attendance, and revenue. Don't fix it if it's not broken. (The other handful was in Arizona, don't know much about that area to even post a response, but I'm sure it's nothing like NE as far as weather)

#53 MtnProwler

MtnProwler

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:17 PM

You think the NFL just accidentally picked those sites? No, there is a reason. If it's not as clear to you now it will be the more they play around with this idea.

#54 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• LocationSC
SUPPORTER

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:32 PM

You think the NFL just accidentally picked those sites? No, there is a reason. If it's not as clear to you now it will be the more they play around with this idea.

I think those sites were picked by the Super Bowl committee, same as this one. People keep talking like Roger Goodell chose the site himself, but the selection process was no different than any other year.

I also have to laugh at the people saying "it's all about money" as if that means something. Yeah, like a Super Bowl set somewhere else wouldn't have made money.

Bottom Line: A whole load of people are gonna panic like it's the end of the world, and nothing will wind up happening.

#55 MtnProwler

MtnProwler

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

I think those sites were picked by the Super Bowl committee, same as this one. People keep talking like Roger Goodell chose the site himself, but the selection process was no different than any other year.

I also have to laugh at the people saying "it's all about money" as if that means something. Yeah, like a Super Bowl set somewhere else wouldn't have made money.

I'm not going to get into personal jabs with you but at this point I'm really wondering. It's about revenue loss by way of less attendance and viewership. TV contracts and commercials are a huge chunk of the SB revenue. I can name quite a few people that won't be able to watch it if it is moved or delayed within the contingency plan. Don't think if less people are viewing there won't be lost revenue ramifications for future SBs in this area. Like I said it might not be this year but all it will take is one time and the "Super Bowl Comittee" will have no choice but to go back to what they did, where thy have a 98% success ratio.

#56 PandaPancake

PandaPancake

#FireShula

• LocationGreeley, Co
SUPPORTER

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:32 PM

I'm not going to get into personal jabs with you but at this point I'm really wondering. It's about revenue loss by way of less attendance and viewership. TV contracts and commercials are a huge chunk of the SB revenue. I can name quite a few people that won't be able to watch it if it is moved or delayed within the contingency plan. Don't think if less people are viewing there won't be lost revenue ramifications for future SBs in this area. Like I said it might not be this year but all it will take is one time and the "Super Bowl Comittee" will have no choice but to go back to what they did, where thy have a 98% success ratio.

How many people do you know that have actually went to a Super Bowl? I would rather stay at home with good beer, and grill out. People are going to the Super Bowl no matter what. A snow storm I think would add to the Super Bowl viewership. Only people whining about a cold weather Super Bowl are those that live in warm weather cities that want the extra revenue. I'm tired of bright and sunny games or games in a dome. If the best team wins then shouldn't the best team be able to play in any weather?

#57 MtnProwler

MtnProwler

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:13 PM

How many people do you know that have actually went to a Super Bowl? I would rather stay at home with good beer, and grill out. People are going to the Super Bowl no matter what. A snow storm I think would add to the Super Bowl viewership. Only people whining about a cold weather Super Bowl are those that live in warm weather cities that want the extra revenue. I'm tired of bright and sunny games or games in a dome. If the best team wins then shouldn't the best team be able to play in any weather?

No. Let the teams play each other without the excuse of the weather hurting/helping them. SC did a special Friday morning, because tickets are not as in demand (as previous Super Bowls) they have had to reduce the prices. Ticket master saw a drop an average $500 decrease per ticket. The NFL was still confident they will have a full stadium, as with all other SBs but we are already seeing at a fraction of the revenue. I'm done with this subject.

#58 Brooklyn Bully

Brooklyn Bully

Sell it, Jerry

HUDDLER

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:35 PM

MtnProwler, your arguments are based off of a Worst Case Scenario. We just had 11 inches fall here and at 5 AM it was 4 degrees. Guess what? Schools were open that day and the city ran fine. The chances of a crippling storm falling on the same day as the Super Bowl are slim. The chances of a crippling storm affecting air travel 2-3 days before the game are slim. The NFL is taking a very small gamble at what they're doing. This is a different Super Bowl this year. It's fun, exciting, and unique. People that plunk down the big bucks to go to the game know what they're getting into. They're aware it might get nuts. So they plan accordingly. Just like someone going to a Packers game in February would plan. They'll check the weather and see if they need to change their plans for this once in a lifetime opportunity. Oh, and Denver fans? They'll be there no matter what. Seattle fans? Them too. Sort of like how everyone stood in the rain to watch the Panthers whip the Saints.

You are right, however, a crippling storm will affect air travel, but as I said, that happening is a very, very small percentage. And yes, the NFL would expect you to change your all-important life plans to still watch the most popular sport in North America on TV, and the most watched single sporting game per year on TV. They expect we will adjust, and guess what, we would.

There will indeed be some rain/snow on Sunday, but it's not going to be a bad storm by any stretch. So the gamble paid off. We have good weather computer models now that can predict things far in advance. It's going to be just fine.

Game on.

#59 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• LocationGalveston
SUPPORTER

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

He's frickin' wuss.

#60 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• LocationSC
SUPPORTER

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:14 PM

i would love to watch a Super Bowl played n the kind of conditions they had for the Eagles-Lions game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users