Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Building an OL

47 posts in this topic

Posted

(releasing Godfrey and Edwards and restructure more contracts)

LT: Michael Oher

LG: Silatolu

C: Kalil

RG: Kugbilla (although puting faith in Kugbilla scares me)

RT: Geoff Schwartz

If Kugbilla doesn't pan out this year we slide Schwartz to RG and put James Hurst (3-4th round pick) at RT.

That's pretty much how I see it but I'm sensing we're going to bring Campbell back and he'll beat Bell for the RT position and Oher will come cheap.

Posted

I think folks are over reacting saying we have no one.  First off Garry Williams was projected as our starter until he got hurt and went on IR.  Amini was doing well until he got hurt as well.  So if you project Kalil, Amini and Williams as starters with Bell not doing great but surely he helped us go 12-4, then replacing Gross is the biggest issue. I can almost guarantee that we will bring in 1 or 2 tackles in free agency.  Then we will likely draft 1 or 2 O linemen as well.  With Kugbila, and Chandler as backups and whoever we want to include off the practice squad or keep from last year, we won't be nearly as bad as some predict. I know Gettleman will do the same thing he did with the offensive line that he did with the defensive line except we will actually have a free agency period where we can sign folks.  Last year we had to work hard just to get under the cap.

Posted

That's pretty much how I see it but I'm sensing we're going to bring Campbell back and he'll beat Bell for the RT position and Oher will come cheap.

I thought Rivera pretty much said Campbell was a better LT than he was a RT? I believe he said this when we first traded Goodson for him.

Posted

Weird how difficult it is to find 5 good fat guy

Posted

LT: Free Agent

LG: Amini

C: Kalil

RG: Chandler

RT: Rookie/FA

Posted

I thought Rivera pretty much said Campbell was a better LT than he was a RT? I believe he said this when we first traded Goodson for him.

Very true but at this point I believe Campbell would be an upgrade over Bell. This is assuming of course who we'll sign and/or draft, and if he'll start right away.

Posted

And please nobody suggest Garry Williams to start. Easily one of our worst linemen.

Posted

Very true but at this point I believe Campbell would be an upgrade over Bell. This is assuming of course who we'll sign and/or draft, and if he'll start right away.

I'm 170lbs and 5'9 I think I could compete with Bell lol

1 person likes this

Posted

If you watch the last half of the year Byron Bell actually played pretty well.  He doesn't scare me as much as not having a sloid replacement for Gross and another strong guard.  

**Don't get me wrong...they should still put a plaque on one of the turnstiles with Bell's number on it. For nostalgia's sake.

Posted

It could benefit us that quite a few OL had poor showings at the combine. We can find some good values from the 3rd round on that can start immediately for us. OG (Cyril Richardson, Gabe Jackson) OT (Cyrus Kouandjio, Tiny Richardson, James Hurst, Ju'Wuan James)

1 person likes this

Posted

DP

Posted

And please nobody suggest Garry Williams to start. Easily one of our worst linemen.

That isn't what Riera and Gettleman thought leading up to the season.  Until he was hurt he was the starter.  Hard to blame him for everything as the line was building chemistry.  it is hard to just plug guys in and expect them to play as a unit with no problems.  By the time the line started to gel he was gone.  Maybe it was him maybe not, hard to say in his short time starting.

1 person likes this