Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kuech the Sneak

Telvin Smith visited today

64 posts in this topic

Jordon Tripp is another one that is a LB but is 6ft 3 and could play safety. He is about 234 lbs

He ran a 4.67 and scouting reports say that he looks tight hipped in coverage.  His coverage ability is a liability at LB, I doubt he's going to convert to safety.  Sounds to me like a guy who will probably have to make his impact on ST first while adapting to the NFL.  That's not a bad thing for a late round pick.

Former Protest!

I want my LT of the future in the 2nd. So, no.

Wasn't saying we should just stating where tevlin is projected to go.

It's interesting that scouts are comparing him to Kam Chancellor since he's not a big time thumper. Telvin can hit but if a bigger RB or WR or TE were to come along he'd bounce off of them. That said, he's absolutely electrifying with the ball in his hands (147 return yards and two TDs out of his three picks).

I gotta go with Shazier though. He might need to improve on shedding blockers but he's a force of nature. If he's there at 28th, I'd take him. We need a replacement for TD this year or next anyways.

So was TD.

Sent from my SM-N900V using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

TD weighed in at 230 at the combine. 

TD weighed in at 230 at the combine. 

12 pound difference... your point? 

12 pound difference... your point? 

My point is that TD was 12 pounds heavier while playing safety.  Also, look at them.  Completely different body types.  I'm not sure this Smith kid is going to be able to put on weight.  TD probably plays at around 240 these days.  Not sure Smith will be able to get to 230+.

It's not like Smith is a 20 year old RS sophomore either, he's 23.  I would think being 23 and coming from a major program like FSU that he'd be able to put on some weight playing LB.

TD really didn't play like a true safety tho, he played around the LOS a lot.

The NFL is changing. Smiths skills suit the direction the NFL is heading, I don't think he needs to hit the prototypical weight of 10 years ago to succeed at OLB. He's the type of LB you could keep on the field 3 downs with TD and Keek when teams try to no huddle and not be worse for it. Telvin is lean but I wouldn't call him small. I'm not worried about 10 lbs, he has speed and great instincts IMO.

1 person likes this

TD really didn't play like a true safety tho, he played around the LOS a lot.

The NFL is changing. Smiths skills suit the direction the NFL is heading, I don't think he needs to hit the prototypical weight of 10 years ago to succeed at OLB. He's the type of LB you could keep on the field 3 downs with TD and Keek when teams try to no huddle and not be worse for it. Telvin is lean but I wouldn't call him small. I'm not worried about 10 lbs, he has speed and great instincts IMO.

I was at the game that Davis started at strong safety against the Patriots as a rookie. He wasn't playing the line of scrimmage. He looked to be in Cover 2 most of the first half and got TORCHED in coverage. He then was moved to the "joker" role and thrived. Telvin is a coverage linebacker though and I think he would do well as a WLB in our scheme. 10 lbs wouldn't be much to put on in an NFL training regimen.

I

I was at the game that Davis started at strong safety against the Patriots as a rookie. He wasn't playing the line of scrimmage. He looked to be in Cover 2 most of the first half and got TORCHED in coverage. He then was moved to the "joker" role and thrived. Telvin is a coverage linebacker though and I think he would do well as a WLB in our scheme. 10 lbs wouldn't be much to put on in an NFL training regimen.

I was referring to his Georgia days. Completely forgot he played some safety here.

He was talking about at UGA.  TD did play a lot in the box at UGA.

But, seriously, TD and Smith have very different body types.  TD looked like a guy who could put on more weight.  Smith looks like a hard gainer.  If a guy is still that lean after spending 4 years in a major program at LB, then I doubt he gains weight easily.  I'm sure the FSU S&C guys were trying to get weight on him.  According to his recruit rankings, he was 205 coming into FSU. 

Now I don't know this for sure, but I'd be willing to bet that Smith would be the lightest LB on an NFL roster at 218.  Again, this isn't a kid who is 20 years old and a RS sophomore.  This is a 23 year old young man.