• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MichaelNewtonII

National Championship: Ohio State Buckeyes vs. Oregon Ducks (Jan. 12)

I find it very weird you post random tweets from people, gettlemanjack.

so is this meant to signify you think OSU is starting a dynasty?

Meyer just won his 3rd ring in his last 8 yrs of coaching, just tied Saban with 3 rings (and Meyer didn't get a ring for his 12-0 Utah team in 2004). Meyer is 50, Saban is 63. Ohio State is the Bama of the North. Top recruiting classes every year

B6UztrmCEAAJAy0.jpg

Meyer just won his 3rd ring in his last 8 yrs of coaching, just tied Saban with 3 rings (and Meyer didn't get a ring for his 12-0 Utah team in 2004). Meyer is 50, Saban is 63. Ohio State is the Bama of the North. Top recruiting classes every year

B6UztrmCEAAJAy0.jpg

It is very possible, but... I will believe it when I see it. I am a B1G fan and an OSU fan too, but I am skeptical of Meyer long-term at OSU for some reason.

Interesting to see how they resolve that QB situation.

It is very possible, but... I will believe it when I see it. I am a B1G fan and an OSU fan too, but I am skeptical of Meyer long-term at OSU for some reason.

Interesting to see how they resolve that QB situation.

Meyer is born and raised Ohio, played for Ohio State, and began his college coaching career at Ohio State (after a yr as an Ohio high school coach). He ain't going nowhere although Harbaugh at Michigan should be able to challenge him soon. Big Ten going back to glory years

Meyer is born and raised Ohio, played for Ohio State, and began his college coaching career at Ohio State (after a yr as an Ohio high school coach). He ain't going nowhere although Harbaugh at Michigan should be able to challenge him soon. Big Ten going back to glory years

I don't think he'd leave OSU for some other place, I just wouldn't be surprised if he burnt himself out.

I don't think he'd leave OSU for some other place, I just wouldn't be surprised if he burnt himself out.

his girls were in high school complaining he wasn't being a good dad when he was at Florida. They both gone from the house now! His wife was pissed at him back then at Florida, now she is the first one to grab his side and be so happy for him on national TV. Urban just getting started

You may be right... and if you are, it will be an interesting next few years in CF.  I really hope they expand the playoffs in the relatively near future though.

You may be right... and if you are, it will be an interesting next few years in CF. I really hope they expand the playoffs in the relatively near future though.

Ohio State would be in the championship game every few years even without Meyer. Every coach Ohio State has had since Woody is in the College Football HOF (except Tressel who would be 1st ballot HOF except for his ethics violation)

this was Ohio State's 4th appearance in the Title Game in the last 13

seasons:

2002 - W 31-24 over Miami (snapped MIA's 34 game win streak)

2006 - L 14-41 to Florida (coached by Urban Meyer)

2007 - L 24-38 to LSU (HC Les Miles, DC Bo Pelini)

2012 - went 12-0 but were banned from the postseason*

2014 - W 42-20 vs Oregon

*in 2012, had Ohio State (12-0) not been banned, they would have

likely faced Bama in the Title Game instead of Notre Dame. Ohio

State would have played Nebraska (who finished ranked #23/#25)

in the Big Ten Championship, who Ohio State beat 63-38 earlier that

season. As it was, the 7-5 Wisconsin Badgers (who finished not

ranked) went in Ohio State's place and beat down Nebraska 70-31

to win the Big Ten

Since the BCS began in 1998, no other school has had more Title

Game appearances than Ohio State, although two schools have just

as many: Florida State (1998, 1999, 2000, 2013, went 2-2) and

Oklahoma (2000, 2003, 2004, 2008, went 1-3). The only other current

Big Ten team with an appearance is Nebraska (2001 as member of

the Big 12)

I would be very surprised if that happens.  Even if Michigan becomes dominant and Ohio State stays that way there are too many mediocre teams in that conference that I cannot see having any sort of sustained success.  In fact, I would be very surprised if the B1G West is not easily the weakest Power Five division for the foreseeable future (unless of course the Big XII goes to twelve and has a North).

Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Illinois, and Purdue?  The only semi-successful team there on a regular basis is Whisky and they cannot hang on to a coach.  They will have high rankings from time to time built on a weak schedule but I really see nothing that leads me to believe they can compete on a level that will lift the conference back to their glory days.

The B1G Championship will probably be pretty lame most years to be honest as their top four programs (at least potentially) are in the East (tOSU, UM, MSU, PSU) but even they will not have the depth of Pac-12 South or SEC West because Rutgers, Maryland, and Indiana add nothing.

To me the best they can hope for really is to strengthen their hold on #3.