• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

teeray

Trump and Trade

One area where Trump has my attention is in these trade wars.  I don't like how he has handled Canada and his pissing contest with their PM.

But, taking a strong stand on trade with China in particular is not something I am totally against and am at least curious to see how this plays out.

I will caution though that moving away from free trade will likely will lead to inflation and whereas it may create some jobs in some sectors will cause us to lose jobs in other sectors.

I'm curious your thoughts on Trump's tough stance on trade, not so much from Trumpets that will defend him no matter what, but from people that may have voted for Bernie who also was campaigning on being tough on trade (like myself)

So what say you?  Is this an area where you are happy with Trump nor is he just fugging up everything?

I wonder if Trump ever did wife swapping. For Melanias sake, I hope so.

We definitely needed to do something about intellectual property - for years it was a price we paid to get cheap goods but its no longer really equitable. But Trump went too far, and saying how trade wars are easy to win makes him a target by people that are as big a bag of dicks as he is, and don't have to listen to an electorate. China can suck it up if need be, for a lot longer than any US politician that tries the same crap.

Trump has the beginnings of dementia. How well do you think this is gonna go? 

10 hours ago, teeray said:

One area where Trump has my attention is in these trade wars.  I don't like how he has handled Canada and his pissing contest with their PM.

But, taking a strong stand on trade with China in particular is not something I am totally against and am at least curious to see how this plays out.

I will caution though that moving away from free trade will likely will lead to inflation and whereas it may create some jobs in some sectors will cause us to lose jobs in other sectors.

I'm curious your thoughts on Trump's tough stance on trade, not so much from Trumpets that will defend him no matter what, but from people that may have voted for Bernie who also was campaigning on being tough on trade (like myself)

So what say you?  Is this an area where you are happy with Trump nor is he just fugging up everything?

You come here for a serious discussion?  You will get pubtard, libtard, dotard, etc.  Good luck

1 hour ago, stirs said:

You come here for a serious discussion?  You will get pubtard, libtard, dotard, etc.  Good luck

Stirtard

3 hours ago, stirs said:

Well so far it was only you and Zin being idiots....

13 hours ago, teeray said:

I personally don't think America(ns) are intellectually honest about the China problem.   Meaning, we gleefully helped create to a large extent something we claim to be unfair victims of. 

But yeah, trade always needs to be worked on.  Biggest problem we face is we have a POTUS that doesn't understand trade, doesn't care to understand it and everything in his life is viewed a win/loss in a vacuum and opportunity that needs to be used to extort something out of someone.   

Trump really doesn't have a stance on trade.  Everyone is taking advantage of us, we are victims.    That isn't trade policy or a stance or a way to improve anything.   Reality is thrown out the window.  Even our trade surplus' are deficits to Trump.  Everything is about how we are victims even when we aren't with Trump.

but I am pro free trade.  

The era of Trump.  Where libtards are more conservative -like than the jock riders of Trump.  

It's a double edge sword.

Free trade is, for the most part good, if in fact it is free and intellectual property is not stolen.

What Trump is doing is not good.  Or maybe I should say he is not doing it in a good way.  Rather than going into ever detail, let's just talk about the steel tariffs since they were first.

Raw steel is what is getting hit, so some factory in PA might think they have hit the jackpot and wants to invest several million to get their factory expanded and back online.  But, they cannot trust that Trump is not just using the tariffs as a bargaining tool and things will go right back where they started is say, China helps w N Korea or something.

From another standpoint, you'd think those same raw steel mills going back to work might be good as far as new jobs, but they will probably be offset by other job losses down the line. Those will come from people that have been converting the cheaper raw steel into usable items for homes, work, etc.  If the steel goes way up in price (through tariffs on Chinese metal or the new increased prices from the American steel industry) then their end products will be more expensive and they would be prime candidates for imports since end products did not receive the tariffs.

Gain some, lose some.  At the end of the day, it is bluster and not good policy, especially if imposed or withdrawn on a whim.

12 minutes ago, Floppin said:

Well so far it was only you and Zin being idiots....

Fascinating insight

Teeray was right to bring his discussion here

10 hours ago, Rubi said:

Trump has the beginnings of dementia. How well do you think this is gonna go? 

Disagree with that.  Part of the problem is people think Trump is crazy.  He isn't.  He is literally doing what he has done his entire life.   He is intentionally lying over and over and over and over.....because eventually enough believe the lies to make it worth it.    He is intentionally getting people upset because he can use it.   He has no actual core beliefs outside of himself, every policy, event, decision is an opportunity to leverage something and someone for his own gain.  Trump in reality has no problem with any side of any issue.  Just depends on how he is going to use each one at any given time.  Who he needs at what time. 

America now is in the early stages of of where NY was at one time.  Still learning about what Trump is.  He isn't crazy.  That is just how he operates.  Lie, leverage, extort.....it is just hard to believe a POTUS is doing it and getting away it.  But that doesn't make him crazy.  Makes the collective us crazy for allowing it all to go down right in front of us. 

3 minutes ago, stirs said:

Fascinating insight

Teeray was right to bring his discussion here

On yeah, snap back at me when you had previously not contributed any insight other than stating that people were going to respond with tripe. I was just pointing out that you at that point were only contributing tripe.

At the core of Trumps spouting on Trade is that if we have a deficit we are being robbed.

"We have a big trade deficit with Canada, I was reading, where, oh, it's actually a surplus. Not a surplus. It's either 17, but it could actually be 100. You know, they put out a document. I don't know if you saw it. They didn't want me to see it, but we found it. Perhaps they were trying to show the power they have. It's close to $100 billion a year loss with Canada."

Everyone agrees that neither a deficit nor a surplus is inherently good or bad. Trump's solution is to bash everything with a tariff hammer as if it were some sort of panacea. I am not smart enough to have an opinion on how these will affect the economy but most seem to agree its not a good thing.

I can't figure out the purpose of all this. Does Trump just not understand economics. is he pandering to a base. Is this some backroom deal with Russia. As usual he makes no sense.

14 hours ago, stirs said:

You act like I'm new around here :eyeroll: