• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

MillionDollarCam

Sam Amick: "Kemba More Likely To Leave Than Stay"

55 minutes ago, SOJA said:

excellent point. But again Kemba would be taking the ball out of Doncic's hands, is Dallas cool with that?

I think the ball would move a lot in an offense that featured Kemba, Donic and Porzingis.  They might not have a traditional primary ball handler. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Thelt said:

I think the ball would move a lot in an offense that featured Kemba, Donic and Porzingis.  They might not have a traditional primary ball handler. 

Good point, Kemba would be at minimum a great mentor and add another 3 point shooter to the squad. 

Again I'm actually in the camp that it's better for the future of this team if we lose Kemba in free agency, ride out our terrible contracts and truly bottom out. 

Everyone keeps saying "tanking always doesn't work". That's very true. You know what is proven to not have worked? This team we currently have. 

• Pie 1
  • Cargos 1

10 minutes ago, SOJA said:

Good point, Kemba would be at minimum a great mentor and add another 3 point shooter to the squad. 

Again I'm actually in the camp that it's better for the future of this team if we lose Kemba in free agency, ride out our terrible contracts and truly bottom out. 

Everyone keeps saying "tanking always doesn't work". That's very true. You know what is proven to not have worked? This team we currently have. 

I would rather see us retain him because several of our bad contracts will be up soon.  If we retain him and then somehow land a second all star level player we will be a regular playoff team.  That would be good enough for me.  Every year teams give up and try to shed payroll.  That is one way you get a star player to a small market like Charlotte.  If you can send out expiring contracts for a star on a long term but expensive deal you have a shot.

I am OK if he leaves too though.  This team outside of him is horrible and I would love to see it blown up.  If that is how it goes though we screwed up not trading him when we had the chance.

• Pie 1

Here is an example of how it could work.  We resign Kemba to a max or close to max deal.  We buy out Biz to get under the luxury tax.  We trade Marvin and MKG for a star on a team that wants to shed payroll.  Lets say its Kevin Love in this scenario.

Next year go with the following:

Kemba/Parker

Batum/Monk

Bridges

Love

Zeller/Willy

That leaves spots open for a backup small forward and power forward.  Maybe we draft a guy like Hunter who can fill one of those slots.  Maybe we use the MLE for another guy.  Maybe we keep Bacon around.  Frank and Lamb are gone.

If Love can stay mostly healthy that team is a playoff team in the east for sure.  Granted we would probably have to give up something to go along with Marvin and MKG to land a guy like Love but probably not a first round pick.  I would not go higher than a second round pick for Love given his injury history.

It does not have to be Love, I just used him as an example.  There are several teams that will be sellers.  Tornonto will be one if Leonard leaves.  New Orleans will be when they trade Davis.  Washington looks like one given the situation with Wall.  Maybe another team disappoints in the playoffs and joins the list.  Having three big expiring contracts in our pocket gives us a chance to improve the roster. 

• Pie 1

I think Kemba leaves as well. It’s not bc we wont be able to afford him or that he wants to win more. It’s bc a good deal of teams will be chasing him. Worst case for LAL, they cant attract a top tier FA so they sign Kemba. 

• Pie 1