• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'd agree.

I think the 3-4 stuff is one of those cases where you have a coach trying something different just so it looks like he's making a smart move. In truth, it's more likely out of desperation than smart planning.

Maybe it'll work, but at this point Rivera is more Maxwell Smart than James Bond.

I mean, don't get me wrong. I want to see this hybrid 4-3/3-4 defense, but I also haven't forgotten that we were promised that upon his initial hiring. This seems to be the go-to carrot Ron dangles to get a job or keep a job.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I mean, don't get me wrong. I want to see this hybrid 4-3/3-4 defense, but I also haven't forgotten that we were promised that upon his initial hiring. This seems to be the go-to carrot Ron dangles to get a job or keep a job.

I forget the source, but recent talk has been that it's gonna be less "hybrid" and more straight 3-4.

We’ve signed two starting lineman coming off torn acl’s.. I’ll wait to praise him. 

Edited by Yaboychris28
  • The D 1

If Hurney can find a way to make it work money wise and solidify the back end by landing Ha-Ha then address the edge in the draft, he deserves some serious credit for making the most out of a terrible situation.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Don't have to go back that far.

There was plenty of "Hurney 2.0" celebration this time last year. As LG pointed out, people were virtually orgasmic over the signing of Dontari Poe. Ditto CJ Anderson. Hell, people went nuts over Bashaud Breeland. And the signing of Eric Reid had multiple posters saying "Super Bowl".

Didn't exactly work out that way though, did it?

Dontari Poe is the only one that didn't live up to his contract last year, and the defensive line as a whole was in shambles. Torrey Smith was worth the trade for Worley. Eric Reid was a huge bargain, and we never actually signed Breeland. C.J. Anderson was a bad fit apparently, but we didn't lose a ton of money, and our running game was a highlight last year thanks to CMC. Let's see how Poe does with Rivera at the reins and Washington back managing the line full time. Who knows how it will go. That's the fun of it. We have zero control over how the season goes, so to wring our hands over any of it is a waste of time. If I can't be excited about it, what's the point? It's not real life. It's a game, watched for entertainment. You just seem to get off on pointing out the negatives in everything. 

• Pie 1

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

I forget the source, but recent talk has been that it's gonna be less "hybrid" and more straight 3-4.

Now this I would be a lot less excited about. Not sure how Luke would be taking on more blockers and what are we going to do for 3-4 DEs? Short and Butler? Ugh. And 3-4 edge rushers? Oh boy...

As far as I'm concerned, Luke and Mario were our best front seven players last year and I'm not sold on either fitting very well into a straight 3-4.

3 minutes ago, Yaboychris28 said:

We’ve signed two starting lineman coming off torn acl’s.. I’ll wait to praise him. 

:thinking: acls for both :eyeroll:

1 minute ago, PanthersBigD said:

Dontari Poe is the only one that didn't live up to his contract last year, and the defensive line as a whole was in shambles. Torrey Smith was worth the trade for Worley. Eric Reid was a huge bargain, and we never actually signed Breeland. C.J. Anderson was a bad fit apparently, but we didn't lose a ton of money, and our running game was a highlight last year thanks to CMC. Let's see how Poe does with Rivera at the reins and Washington back managing the line full time. Who knows how it will go. That's the fun of it. We have zero control over how the season goes, so to wring our hands over any of it is a waste of time. If I can't be excited about it, what's the point? It's not real life. It's a game, watched for entertainment. You just seem to get off on pointing out the negatives in everything. 

I put CJ's failures on the coaching staff. On paper, he's a perfect compliment to CMC and he did just fine for the Rams once we let him go. Granted, they had a much better OL than we did but he still averaged a solid 4.3ypc for us. We just didn't want to play him for some reason. We should've had a Kamara-Ingram style 1-2 punch but we seem hellbent on trying to run CMC into the ground prematurely instead.

4 minutes ago, Yaboychris28 said:

Yeah... no. Neither player had a torn ACL.

3 minutes ago, PanthersBigD said:

You're free to celebrate if you want to.

I'm free to point out that early celebrations often wind up being followed by disappointment (such as last year).

Hence, why I prefer to stay cautiously optimistic rather than getting my hopes up.

22 minutes ago, Smithers said:

Haha.

Poe is better suited as a 3-4 NT.  Might be a driving force behind some of the 3-4 talk.  

If we are actually serious about going to a 3-4 (Hybrid or Full) these OL signings have set us up well to go after that in the draft.  

Look at the Ravens and how they can retool that defense.   They just lost Zadarius Smith.  He was selected in round 4 #122 overall.  It is just getting so hard to get 4-3 DE’s unless you take them top10.  Or pay them a boatload if cash.   We need a way to be consistent year in and year out.  

H2.0 may actually have a plan this time around.  Kudos so far. 

4 minutes ago, Car123 said:

Haha Dix would be a waste of money.

I agree. I don't get the hype on that guy. GB traded him for a reason and he's still unsigned for a reason. He's just not that good. I would honestly rather sign Tre Boston.

• Pie 1