Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Mr. Scot

Why won't we help the tackles?

kinda looks like maybe ron prioritized hiring a person who makes him comfortable over someone who's the best for the job

• Pie 4

2 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

kinda looks like maybe ron prioritized hiring a person who makes him comfortable over someone who's the best for the job

That might not just be Ron.

Remember when we were looking for a receiver coach, our friend Roaring Riot was talking up a potentially exciting hire. But when the new guy was actually announced, it was someone that nobody recognized.

I couldn't help but wonder if Norv might have not wanted somebody on staff who had enough of a rep to potentially challenge Scott for the OC job once Norv retired.

Mind you, that's pure "tinfoil hat" stuff, but there's been similar speculation with Rivera before (i.e. that he'd never hire an assistant who could potentially replace him).

2 hours ago, raz said:

if we helped the tackles cam wouldn't get plastered 3-8 times a game, and think of how many less hits he would take.  now do you see why your 'great idea' is really stupid.   honestly i think rivera puts hits on qb's in the spank bank, even if its his qb.   

"I'd have taken the shot" == "Oh fug yea, ruin his career. That poo makes me moist af"

• Pie 2

I've actually been wracking my brain to try and find some kind of rationale where this makes sense.

I'd like to believe there is one, but I can't think of any.

On 9/14/2019 at 11:31 AM, Mr. Scot said:

An excerpt from Joe Person's latest article in The Athletic...

"Williams wasn’t given much help, either. While McCaffrey chipped Barrett a couple of times, the Panthers never used a tight end to double-team Barrett, according to No. 2 tight end Chris Manhertz. On a fourth-and-1 near midfield in the fourth quarter, Williams blocked down and McCaffrey helped on the other edge, allowing Barrett to come free and force a Newton incompletion. That can’t happen."

If you think back to Super Bowl 50, this might sound familiar. One difference of course, is that Mike Shula ran the offense back then. It's Norv Turner now, but the results are the same.

It's a fairly simple adjustment to make, even easier when you've got a good blocking right end (which is reportedly why Manhertz is second on the depth chart). Heck, we see other teams do it all the time.

So why don't we do it?

Why do we seem to be so reluctant to help our tackles when they're getting beaten?

Ron Rivera is (metaphorically) that driver who insists that he has to make a left turn across 4 lanes of busy traffic in the middle of the block instead of continuing another half-block to the intersection and turning at the light that has a left-turn arrow.

His thinking is utterly basic and linear.  He stands at Point A, sees Point B, and only sees one path and that path is a straight line.

How that translates to your comment above is that he picks the players that her perceives fits best into what he wants to do (p.s. I'm not saying he's very good at that) at that position and expects them to perform in the exact manner that he demands they perform.  If they are unable to do that, he recognizes "missed opportunities".  Actually adapting his football philosophy to the unique skill-set of the player or adapting a particular play to cover a weakness rarely crosses his mind.

The player has been provided the play-book and told exactly what is expected of him.  If the player screws up, well then, you can't blame Ron Rivera for that, right?  

Edited by tiger7_88
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, PhillyB said:

DING DING DING

3 hours ago, Icege said:

When he was first signed, I won't forget this, he stated that he was going to plan based on the talent he had rather than trying to force square pegs into round holes to fit his system.

And then his first draft pick was the biggest honker of a Square Peg to fit into the Rivera Philosophy Round Hole as could possibly have been acquired.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, raz said:

if we helped the tackles cam wouldn't get plastered 3-8 times a game, and think of how many less hits he would take.  now do you see why your 'great idea' is really stupid.   honestly i think rivera puts hits on qb's in the spank bank, even if its his qb.   

"I would have taken a shot too."

Edit: @Icege beat me to it.

Edited by tiger7_88
  • Pie 2

I saw Olsen help, as well as Manhurtz. Obviously, not often enough. Williams would have a good play, then turn around and screw the pooch. He'd give you just a glimpse of being adequate. Then break your heart for even thinking that.

We had 9 possessions in TB territory, and got 4 FGs. That is not all on Daryl. But man, it sure did seem like it.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I've actually been wracking my brain to try and find some kind of rationale where this makes sense.

I'd like to believe there is one, but I can't think of any.

its rons spank bank bro.  since we can't get to their qb, he's gonna have to fill it with ours

1.  Ron thinks Darryl fuging Williams is a better LT than Taylor Moton. 2. Ron couldn’t scheme or adjust to beat anyone. He’s a loser, basically. 

• Pie 1

Under Rivera offensive line has always been on the back burner and it has cost us a lot of games and Cam's health.  See Cowboys, and how they spent a couple of first rounds on OL. a few years back and Dax and Zeke benifited.

Don't know how a team's supposed to ground and pound, when offensive line is like Swiss cheese anyway .But Ron loves that kind of football, ironic in a way.

I wish someone would actually have the balls in the media to call RR out on this.  Joe did ask the question in RR’s Friday presser.  And Rons response was that we did help Williams out.  That’s complete BS.   

I am done with this coaching staff and it’s constant inability to make adjustments.  That game was like reliving the super bowl tragedy all over again.  

Bottom line.  I want someone to put their foot on Rons neck and ask him why he can’t make in game adjustments.  

• Pie 1

I think that Ron became such a player's coach that they run the farm more than he does. And the Turners? I sure had a lot of hope, but there was that nagging remembrance of Turner being run out of every other team so far for lack of long term results. 

I don't think Ron has the stroke to pull Cam from a game even when Cam's obviously unable to compete. I think his defensive coordinators were poached so thoroughly after 2015 that there was no coming back. Even though he seems to be capable of calling the defense, in doing so he has no control over the offense.

He's a good guy that has just lost his role of being the boss of the team. 

On a good note for the coaching staff, though, Chase Blackburn looks to be a darned good ST coach. His guys are actually playing like they want to be here.