Jump to content
Carolina Huddle
hepcat

Only The Diehards Remain: Is Fan Interest Down This Season?

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

There's widespread social unrest and the folks who want to use sports as an escape from all of the above aren't going to like that sports are throwing it in their face again. That doesn't necessarily mean they're racists or don't care, it's just that when every time you turn on the TV and you're bombarded by the same stuff at some point you want to get away from it for a bit.

Escapism isn't a right. It is privilege.

  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

There's a lot of reasons, some Panthers related others not.

We've sucked for the last few years. Ultimately, people get tired of sucking.

We've parted with virtually every popular player we had minus CMC. 

There's a global pandemic going on.

It's an election year and it's even more contentious than usual.

There's widespread social unrest and the folks who want to use sports as an escape from all of the above aren't going to like that sports are throwing it in their face again. That doesn't necessarily mean they're racists or don't care, it's just that when every time you turn on the TV and you're bombarded by the same stuff at some point you want to get away from it for a bit.

All of this. This year was a training wheels year anyways, that is only fun to diehard fans. 

  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the record, i kind of like just having the die hards around again. The discourse has been much better. 

  • Pie 6
  • Poo 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, d-dave said:

 

Most of my friends aren't as into things this season.  Sure, my die hard football buds and I are still talking about things.  When you dump the faces of the franchise, the average joes aren't going to care as much.  You add in the pandemic, the current culture in the US, and it gets really hard to care about something as trivial as football.

I'm a fan, I loved having the games.  Sure, I would have loved a win, but I'm so interested to see how the team grows and changes.  

That's why I spend more time on here than normal. Most of my Panthers friends steadily moved away from being hard-core fans that actually follow the team. I can think of maybe 2 left.

  • Pie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

For the record, i kind of like just having the die hards around again. The discourse has been much better. 

If you flush the obvious trolls from this place, it will actually be somewhat tolerable again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kungfoodude said:

If you flush the obvious trolls from this place, it will actually be somewhat tolerable again.

I'm trying. I have relegated some of the top offenders that are a net negative in this joint to the NFL forum. Will continue to do so. 

  • Pie 2
  • Beer 2
  • Poo 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


17 minutes ago, Bronn said:

lol @ the continued gatekeeping of fandom by the standard of how much someone likes Cam Newton

It isn't liking Cam so much as he is the reason many people rooted for us and they followed the Panthers. While they learned to like the team and aspects of the team their main attraction was Cam. So when he left some left outright, others linger but they take every chance to bash the team for letting him go, while still others say they are still Panthers game but take every chance to poo on the team. 

Fan is short for fanatic and there are many different degrees of fanaticism from extreme to mild  But folks who haven't moved on from Cam or the old guard are showing if they are true Panthers fans or Cam fans who supported the team as well. They recognize every team screws up and they accept the good with the bad. Sure you can complain as we all do. But if you find yourself constantly complaining or criticizing you have to ask, why am I here if this is the way they keep doing things. Why not pick winning team that plays and coaches like I want them too.

Edited by panthers55
  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jeremy Igo said:

I'm trying. I have relegated some of the top offenders that are a net negative in this joint to the NFL forum. Will continue to do so. 

Thank you. It really gets tiring to see all of their attempts to get people stirred up over anything they can.

  • Pie 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was getting pregame stuff yesterday at Harris Teeter and saw a number of Panther shirts and hats but I noticed the lack of NFL gear in general.

Usually the Mint Hill Harris Teeter is filled with Patrons wearing NFL gear on Sunday in fall, Panthers or not.

I think Covid has made people meh in general about sports this year.

Edited by Panthercougar68
  • Pie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can say that, as a diehard since 95, my lack of interest  is tied way more to what went down last season. As soon as Rivera was retained for 2019 my interest started fading and having 2019 be more of the same, but even worse without a healthy Cam/semblance of competent quarterbacking in the second half of the season, just killed things.

There was seismic change in the offseason and yesterday showed some promise. The damage for me was long done though and it will take some time to go from academic/informational to truly passionate again.

Edited by KSpan
  • Pie 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, panthers55 said:

It isn't liking Cam so much as he is the reason many people rooted for us and they followed the Panthers. While they learned to like the team and aspects of the team their main attraction was Cam. So when he left some left outright, others linger but they take every chance to bash the team for letting him go, while still others say they are still Panthers game but take every chance to poo on the team. 

Fan is short for fanatic and there are many different degrees of fanaticism from extreme to mild  But folks who haven't moved on from Cam or the old guard are showing if they are true Panthers fans or Cam fans who supported the team as well. They recognize every team screws up and they accept the good with the bad. Sure you can complain as we all do. But if you find yourself constantly complaining or criticizing you have to ask, why am I here if this is the way they keep doing things. Why not pick winning team that plays and coaches like I want them too.

You see this a lot more with NBA teams. So many of the fans are "player fans" rather than team fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

You see this a lot more with NBA teams. So many of the fans are "player fans" rather than team fans.

That is true, and has a lot to do with players being able to be their own brands now and engage with fans via their own social media production companies. That didn't exist 10 years ago really. 

I want no part of it. It is team above all else. 

  • Pie 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


What OP is describing is basically what it's like to be a Panthers fan in the Lowcountry.

Y'all think I would actually waste time lurking here and dealing with all of the garbage that comes with it if Panthers fans actually existed in Charleston? Smart fans preferred; I don't need to go to the bar and hear about how DA should've been our starter.

  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

That is true, and has a lot to do with players being able to be their own brands now and engage with fans via their own social media production companies. That didn't exist 10 years ago really. 

I want no part of it. It is team above all else. 

So what do you do when the team makes poor decisions?

Have you no right to criticize?

If you believe not, then this explains a lot.

  • Pie 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jeremy Igo said:

That is true, and has a lot to do with players being able to be their own brands now and engage with fans via their own social media production companies. That didn't exist 10 years ago really. 

I want no part of it. It is team above all else. 

The NBA has sort of traditionally been that way, though. It will be interesting to see if that creeps into the NFL over time.

I am not against wanting to see some of our greats do well elsewhere. It was nice to see Greg catch a TD. 

You won't catch me wishing them well against us or if they are Pats, Saints, Bucs or Falcons.

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...