Carolina Huddle

Proudiddy

Gordon Hayward signs with Charlotte 4 years/120M

6 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Sounds like Twitter bs to be honest.  Moving those 4 guys for Westbrook would be ridiculously dumb.

2 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

Thanks for posting the Twitter bs

On paper, the basketball fit of this move is fantastic. We needed a 3 that could shoot and also gets Bridges coming off the bench at the 4 which I truly feel is his best position. We needed a player like Hayward to balance out our lineup and it really does look fantastic. 

Now, the question marks are huge. You all mentioned them. Injury history and money. 

We were scraping our way out of cap hell and boom right back strapped again. The only difference is that we have some youth on rookie contracts and a potential for growth which is nice. 

I really would have liked to stay the course and use cap to take on bad contracts and get some extra assets, but maybe there weren't many good options out there? 

However you all feel I am really excited about next year. I know most of you have given up on Monk, but for me I can't wait to see the young guns take the court with Hayward. 

Give me Ball, Monk, Hayward, Miles & PJ at least once next year and I will be happy. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

I guess I don't get this sign and trade junk.  If Boston takes back Batum to get some trade exception fine but why in the hell would the Hornets give them any fuggin thing otherwise?  WTF...Hayward is ours period.  Fug Boston.

And if a three team deal cost us Rozier for a protected first then fine.  Better be Clevelands (or a bad teams) first though.

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Shocker said:

I guess I don't get this sign and trade junk.  If Boston takes back Batum to get some trade exception fine but why in the hell would the Hornets give them any fuggin thing otherwise?  WTF...Hayward is ours period.  Fug Boston.

If Boston takes back salary, then we don't have to stretch Batum's cap hit over the next three years.  He'd be off the books either now (if Boston took him) or next year (if Boston took someone else). That would be very beneficial to us. So the sign and trade would be beneficial to us regardless of who we send. 

Of the three possible contracts, ideally it be Batum. If not him, it's a toss up of who you'd rather keep between Zeller and Rozier.  Losing Zeller would leave us very thin in the front court.  And his contract comes off the books next year.  Rozier still has two years left on his deal and we have a lot more backcourt depth.  So while Rozier is the better player, it may makes sense to try to send him back.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, Shocker said:

And if a three team deal cost us Rozier for a protected first then fine.  Better be Clevelands (or a bad teams) first though.

Only reason we entertain the sign and trade is to get an asset in return. If Boston wants a huge trade exception then they will have to pay us for it! From what I saw they wanted Miles and we weren't having it and then we leaked the Batum cut and stretch. Now, Boston wants back in. For us we don't do it just to get rid of any players. We only do it for an asset in return. 

Give us a pick or we don't do it. 

I do think we will try to move Terry and Zeller, but not for just anything. They both have value and we are treating them as such. The value is the expiring deal with Zeller and the fact was Terry shot very well last year and did average 18 pts. 

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, Toker Smurf said:

Frack. So much for thinking Kupchak knows what he's doing.

Mike Jordan did it.

If he get Batum in this deal and get some assets okay.. I can live with Gordon's contract..

One of the reasons I don't follow the Hornets as much as I would like to is because they don't change their year to year philosophy.  When they get a good player they don't hold onto him.  Most likely because that player knows we are never going to compete for a title. 

We have possibly one of the most exciting players in the draft.  We have a veteran ball player that was a key member of a really good Celtics team and some solid role players. 

If Melo and Hayward make things exciting.  Others will be more inclined to come here and play for the Hornets.

I know many of you remember the good old days when the Hornets led the league in attendance and Pro basketball was great here.  I truly think that MJ wants that here.  

Personally I like the move because I think the Hornets want to be contenders. The Bucks, Timberwolves and Pacers have show a small market can contend.  It's about time Charlotte gets involved.

• Pie 3

We have to overpay for big FA signings. As long as he can avoid anymore freak injuries he's money. 

• Pie 1

11 hours ago, bLACKpANTHER said:

PG- Graham - Ball
SG- Rozier - Monk
SF- Hayward - Martin
PF- Bridges - McD
C- Washington - Zeller

I think Bridges at the 4 and PJ at the 5 would work, especially in today's NBA.. kept them in the weight room a bit and they should be good.. Bridges has always been a tweener at the SF position..

We just drafted 2 guys to play center...Washington is a F

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, woahfraze said:

If Boston takes back salary, then we don't have to stretch Batum's cap hit over the next three years.  He'd be off the books either now (if Boston took him) or next year (if Boston took someone else). That would be very beneficial to us. So the sign and trade would be beneficial to us regardless of who we send. 

Of the three possible contracts, ideally it be Batum. If not him, it's a toss up of who you'd rather keep between Zeller and Rozier.  Losing Zeller would leave us very thin in the front court.  And his contract comes off the books next year.  Rozier still has two years left on his deal and we have a lot more backcourt depth.  So while Rozier is the better player, it may makes sense to try to send him back.

We need to keep rozier...he is a good player

1 hour ago, bull123 said:

We just drafted 2 guys to play center...Washington is a F

Hayward may play the 2 position as well.  I have to be honest a healthy Hayward is good but that fuggin contract is bugging the crap outta me.  With that injury history lately this feels like a desperate kinda move that we honestly didn't need to make here.

I didn’t want Hayward at 100 mil to be honest.  120?  Very questionable move for sure.  Gotta pray he stays healthy or we just added another Batum situation for additional years.

Trying to be positive on this move but risky as hell is an understatement.

Edited by Shocker

13 hours ago, Cary Kollins said:

I think the Hornets were close to dead last in attendance last year. I imagine Jordan wants to get people in the stands by any means necessary, and he sees this as a chance to roll the dice on Hayward staying healthy and LaMelo living up to the hype. If he can stay healthy, this will be a fun to watch young playoff team with solid coaching and veteran leadership. 

I’m as excited to see the Hornets as I can remember, so in that sense Jordan is halfway there.

Exactly, plus he sees the Panthers in flux as an opportunity to reclaim some Hornets fans.