• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What We Do and Do Not Have (8-23-14).

Stroupe-a-loop

TE help was the culprit for one of the sacks.  Bell only gave up one sack.  The other was a chip block from the TE, that pushed the defender too far inside.

One sack per game = 16 for the season--too many.  Still, Bell may have given up only one sack, but he was getting bull rushed by a speed rusher into the QB's pocket.  Try to look left for an open Avant or Cotchery with a 330 lb, 6'5" man in your face.  Not easy.

When I talk about protection, I really don't care about sacks as much as I do collapsing pockets.   That forces mistakes and causes missed opportunities. 

Perhaps TE help would eliminate that cushion that Bell was giving the speed rusher.  There is work to do, that is for sure.  But I am not going to give Bell an excuse for giving up one sack when he was allowing Jones to take Cam's lunch money on many plays.

One sack per game = 16 for the season--too many.  Still, Bell may have given up only one sack, but he was getting bull rushed by a speed rusher into the QB's pocket.  Try to look left for an open Avant or Cotchery with a 330 lb, 6'5" man in your face.  Not easy.

When I talk about protection, I really don't care about sacks as much as I do collapsing pockets.   That forces mistakes and causes missed opportunities. 

Perhaps TE help would eliminate that cushion that Bell was giving the speed rusher.  There is work to do, that is for sure.  But I am not going to give Bell an excuse for giving up one sack when he was allowing Jones to take Cam's lunch money on many plays.

According to Pro Football Focus, Cam had an average of 3.45 seconds to throw, the second-most time of all quarterbacks who have taken at least 20 dropbacks this preseason.  How much more time do you want him to have in the pocket before it starts collapsing?

According to Pro Football Focus, Cam had an average of 3.45 seconds to throw, the second-most time of all quarterbacks who have taken at least 20 dropbacks this preseason.  How much more time do you want him to have in the pocket before it starts collapsing?

In my opinion, Cam held the ball too long.  He had some good protection most of the time, so I understand your point.  In fact, a few problems were on him as much as anyone.  However, Bell has always taken a very deep drop vs. speed rushers, and he is often near Cam when he makes initial contact.  Your stat is time to throw, not pocket collapsing, by the way.  With Cam, there is a difference.  He slid to his right and bought time all night.  If you want to draw a semi-circle around Cam to determine the pocket, I am sure you would see what I am talkiing about. 

I am encouraged by the line play, but I did not think Bell showed anyone he has arrived as a LT--run blocking or pass blocking--vs. New England.

In my opinion, Cam held the ball too long.  He had some good protection most of the time, so I understand your point.  In fact, a few problems were on him as much as anyone.  However, Bell has always taken a very deep drop vs. speed rushers, and he is often near Cam when he makes initial contact.  Your stat is time to throw, not pocket collapsing, by the way.  With Cam, there is a difference.  He slid to his right and bought time all night.  If you want to draw a semi-circle around Cam to determine the pocket, I am sure you would see what I am talkiing about. 

I am encouraged by the line play, but I did not think Bell showed anyone he has arrived as a LT--run blocking or pass blocking--vs. New England.

He had a down night vs. NE.  I can agree with that.  Maybe it was due to him being sick?  I know he missed practice due illness.  I also agree he has to be quicker when engaging, and he admitted that himself in a post game interview, so he's aware of his shortcoming.  He does need to improve, he knows it, and I think he will.  He's taking the role very seriously.  Overall, he's improved quite a bit, and seems to be a better LT than RT.  

Going back to your original statement, I also believe the right side needs more help than Bell does on the left.  I can't say he's the weakest link along that o-line, because he's not.  The right side is significantly weaker than the left, even with Chandler and Turner in the game.  

It seems like a lot of people are worked up about that preseason game. The final score looked bad, and the game was rough at times, but anybody who saw that game as a "revelation" has not been or isn't paying attention. I think we can sit up in the sober light of dawn (even though it's not dawn yet) and say a couple things:

We do have a Franchise Quarterback.

We have a quarterback that plays through injuries, rust, and pressure in a PRESEASON GAME. A lot of other guys would have shut it down after that shot to the ribs. Cam Newton is a man and a leader who looks like he might be developing further as a passer this offseason.

We do not have a Perfect Quarterback.

Tom Brady accurately, consistently, and with variation drove his team down field. He is one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time, if not the greatest of all time. Cam doesn't look that good because, maybe, five guys have been that good. Ever. Tom Brady is also approaching forty and hasn't won a superbowl since before Terrell Owens was a laughing stock. Cam was not perfect tonight, but he was better than a vast majority of quarterbacks would have been. Valid criticism is important, but appreciating what you have and what your opponent is too.

We have a great young receiver in Kelvin Benjamin.

Benjamin came into the league with much more polish and ability than many draft experts thought. It already looks like we got a steal with our pick and many teams will regret passing on him. Credit to Cam and Ricky Proehl for working with him so much, but also credit Benjamin for working so hard to be ready now. The future at wideout looks bright for the first time in a while.

We do not have great depth at receiver.

Cotchery and Avant are nothing special, and none of the young guys outside of Benjamin will give us a ton this year. Philly Brown may be a average punt returner, which is way more than I expected from any of these guys. We are lucky so many people were wrong about Benjamin because we would struggle to get separation anywhere if not for him and Olsen. One of Cotchery or Avant will probably develop into a inconsistent but passable option like Lafell was last year. Frustrating at times, but enough for us to get by on.

We do have a young left tackle that struggles with speed rushers.

Byron Bell has been a steal. To get that kind of play from an UDFA is amazing, but we know what he is. We have known for years. For some people to pretend he was suddenly going to turn a corner this season and become an entirely different player this season was silly.

We do not have the death of the 2014 season at left tackle.

In 2005, we moved an overmatched Travelle Wharton to left tackle. He was inconsistent, and at times downright terrible (six sacks given up to the Bears at Soldier Field, a game I skipped out on class and financial obligations to go see). He was also solid enough, consistently enough to give us a chance to win. From what I have seen, Byron Bell does not look much better or worse than Travelle did that season. So, hopefully, he is enough.

We do have a chance to have back to back winning seasons for the first time in franchise history.

There is enough talent on this team to make the playoffs. Newton, Davis, Kuechly, Benjamin, Olsen, Star, Johnson, Hardy, etc form an amazing, young nucleus that learned how to win last year. We will be dangerous this year, and better in years to come.

We do not have a guarantee to have back to back winning seasons.

It will not be a cake walk. We have enough holes on this team to regress to 8-8 or 7-9. But football is a weird, rarely predictable, game. So I would therefore encourage you to go to the games, cheer hard, and hope we get a few lucky breaks along the way.

Go Panthers.

you shut your filthy Bersin blasphomus mouth!!!!!!!!

we DO have great tight ends one of which literally has a tight end (no homo)

we DO have great depth at WR, if underwood got cut this early that's all you need to know

we DO have good corners and safeties they just need to get on the same page

the only DO NOT is oline depth and that WILL be addressed as soon as teams get down to 53.

we DO have just as much if not more talent and ability than any other team and it all comes down to winning close games. Which way will the ball bounce? will the zebras help or hurt us? chemistry is everything in the NFL and I expect this team to gel much like the last couple of years and get better as the season goes on. You want your team to peak at the end of the season not beginning or middle

you shut your filthy Bersin blasphomus mouth!!!!!!!!

I have no idea what that sentence is supposed to mean. . . So thanks?

we DO have great tight ends one of which literally has a tight end (no homo)

we DO have great depth at WR, if underwood got cut this early that's all you need to know

we DO have good corners and safeties they just need to get on the same page

the only DO NOT is oline depth and that WILL be addressed as soon as teams get down to 53.

Underwood isn't very good, so I don't see how him getting cut has anything to do with anything.

I didn't say anything about corners and safeties.

I hope we get some o-line depth, but I'm not sure anything of quality will be available.

He had a down night vs. NE.  I can agree with that.  Maybe it was due to him being sick?  I know he missed practice due illness.  I also agree he has to be quicker when engaging, and he admitted that himself in a post game interview, so he's aware of his shortcoming.  He does need to improve, he knows it, and I think he will.  He's taking the role very seriously.  Overall, he's improved quite a bit, and seems to be a better LT than RT.  

Going back to your original statement, I also believe the right side needs more help than Bell does on the left.  I can't say he's the weakest link along that o-line, because he's not.  The right side is significantly weaker than the left, even with Chandler and Turner in the game.  

Forgot about the sickness.  Good point.  I was not really watching the right side because Chandler was out.  Lets just hope they learned from this (scheme and technique).

I have no idea what that sentence is supposed to mean. . . So thanks?

Underwood isn't very good, so I don't see how him getting cut has anything to do with anything.

I didn't say anything about corners and safeties.

I hope we get some o-line depth, but I'm not sure anything of quality will be available.

It means Bersin is a really good player and we do have depth at the position. Underwood produced with Mike Glennon at the helm and you claim he isn't  very good???

It means Bersin is a really good player and we do have depth at the position. Underwood produced with Mike Glennon at the helm and you claim he isn't very good???

Bersin has had a nice preseason, but that doesn't mean anything. I hope he does something, but right now he will be doing good to make the final roster.

Tiquan Underwood was waived by all his other teams multiple times. Not the resume of a great player.

Bersin has had a nice preseason, but that doesn't mean anything. I hope he does something, but right now he will be doing good to make the final roster.

Tiquan Underwood was waived by all his other teams multiple times. Not the resume of a great player.

Bersin is on this team bro......no questions about it.

I am thinking you should be waived by the huddle lol

Archived