• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Countdown until Feb. 9th

Plewis

We may make another move before Feb. 9th, but I think the reason why we haven't made another trade since the Diaw/Bell/Singletary trade, despite LB's allusions to making some more moves is because...

The Knicks were very much interested in acquiring both Raja Bell and Boris Diaw, but with Mike D'Antoni now in New York after a bitter divorce from the Suns, they were not going to come directly from Phoenix. However, because the trade that sent Bell and Diaw to the Bobcats for Jason Richardson and Jared Dudley was done when it was, D'Antoni could be in position to acquire one or both of his former players before the Feb. 19 trade deadline. Bell makes $5 million this season and the Knicks do not have a reasonable match - unless the Bobcats are interested in sending another player (say, Sean May's $2.6-million expiring contract) to match Malik Rose's $7.6-million expiring deal. A person with knowledge of the Suns-Bobcats trade said the deal was accomplished in time to allow both players to be trade-eligible by the deadline. NBA rules say traded players cannot be moved again for 60 days. The deal was done Dec. 10, which means they can be traded again Feb. 9. Another source has said the Bobcats have maintained interest in Eddy Curry, who has yet to play this season because of a bone bruise in his left knee. The Knicks - who are owned by Cablevision, which also owns Newsday - could flip Curry for Diaw, who are close in salary. Diaw's deal goes a year longer than Curry's, but it would save the Knicks $2.2 million in cap space for 2010.

Newsday

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/nba?eref=fromSI&page=2

We're in a good position to take young talent from teams wanting to make a playoff push... and New York is salivating over possibly getting Diaw. Let's see what we can get... but we're probably going to have to wait until Feb. 9th.

• 1 month later...

When Amare Stoudemire started talking about Mike D'Antoni in the past tense last April - before the then-Suns coach departed - D'Antoni's exit appeared increasingly likely. After meeting Friday morning with Suns General Manager Steve Kerr about trade rumors, Stoudemire sounded like he had started packing. He talked as if he expected to be traded before clarifying that he wishes to be "a Phoenix Sun forever" and sign a contract extension this summer.When noted that he sounded like he anticipated a trade, Stoudemire said he "would love to stay here. You just never know what happens. You would never have thought Shawn Marion would get traded when they did it or Raja (Bell) or Boris (Diaw). Just to be a step ahead, I always try to look forward and turn anything into a positive." Stoudemire emphasized how well he gets along with teammates but made it clear that he is getting an unfair share of blame for the Suns' underwhelming season. Kerr said the Suns have been taking "a lot of calls" on Stoudemire.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/89810-suns-taking-calls-on-stoudemire

Is this the blockbuster we've been waiting for? Is Amare even what we need? What could we give the Suns that they want anyways? Is there any way this can work out?

Personally, I think we need some backcourt help more than we need Amare but I know Larry and I would both enjoy having a new toy on the court.

Those Curry for Diaw etc... rumors are just the NY media searching for ideas because of D'Antoni's ties to the ex Suns players. No way LB is dumb enough to make a trade like that.

As for Stoudamire, even if his value was low I don't think we'd have enough to get him without crippling the team in the process.

Poor Suns fans. Steve Kerr came in last year and took them from a possibly Finals contender to a team struggling to stay in playoff contention. Every move he's made has been horrendously bad and it's going to just keep getting worse if he trades Stat.

I thought we had it bad but at least now we have LB and we've always sucked so it's not like our expectations were high. It's far worse to be a top tier team and watch your management destroy your franchise from within.

Those Curry for Diaw etc... rumors are just the NY media searching for ideas because of D'Antoni's ties to the ex Suns players. No way LB is dumb enough to make a trade like that.

Yep, I'd be willing to bet that pretty much every one of the "sources with knowledge" are Knicks reps. It's no coincidence that Newsday and the Knicks are owned by the same people, and that Newsday has been trying their best to pump this deal ever since we made the trade with Pheonix.

Never mind how much better the Bobcats are with both Diaw and Bell and how well they have meshed with our remaining players. Also, lets forget our recent trade for Diop to fill the same role Curry would have potentially filled. Based on everything I have seen, almost every mention of the Bobcats interest in Curry has generated from NY. Even whenever Bonnell has mentioned it, he usually references a NY source. My guess is that we may have made an initial inquiry to see if we could dump some dead weight for Curry, and that was our biggest desire, not to aquire Curry.

Archived