• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jeff Garcia anyone?

PanthersPhan18

There's "some interest" in Garcia

Posted by Mike Florio on September 13, 2009 6:52 PM ET

With Tom Brady being backed up by an undrafted rookie (Brian Hoyer . . . or is it Bobby Hoying . . . or is it Bobby Brady?) and a quarterback who was converted to a receiver and who's now being converted back to a quarterback (Isaiah Stanback), and with the Panthers having a quarterback who might be in the midst of a full-blown case of Steve Blass disease (which would be fitting since he's already had Tommy John surgery), there's a need for a sound veteran presence in both places.

So how about Jeff Garcia? Raiders coach Tom Cable said recently that Garcia was released because he asked to be. Since Garcia hasn't announced his retirement, we can only assume that he'd still like to play.

Unless he plans to return to the CFL, Garcia needs to find a team in the NFL that wants him.

Per a league source, there's "some interest" in Garcia, but nothing substantive yet.

Garcia, as a vested veteran, would have been entitled to his full base salary if he were on a Week One roster and thereafter was cut. As teams complete their first games of the season, they may sign vested veterans like Garcia with much lower exposure for termination pay, if the veteran gets a pink slip.

all for garcia as back up. give jake one more chance. rather, give the offensive coordinator one more chance not to suck and call for stupid bomb down the feild plays when we are only down two scores. but if jake throws 4 more ints i might have have an ulcer or anurysm (sp?) anyway get garcia, have his as a back up, jake fails we at least have a guy who can make plays. to think i cheered when matt moore went in..............

If McCown's injury is as bad as I think it might be, signing Garcia might be a no-brainer. I really can't stand the guy, but he is the best unemployed QB in the league right now.

Thing is, Garcia's very much like Warner: If he's not the starter, he doesn't want to play. Not exactly what you'd call a team player, IMO.

I've wanted to sign Garcia ever since he was cut by Tampa. If for some unexplainable reason Delhomme gets his mojo back, Garcia would be a reliable backup--or he could come in and help us out this season and mentor the QB of the future we pick up in the draft or a trade later down the road.

Garcia's old and he's not a long term solution but he fills a lot of our current needs imo.

Archived