• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Great Exodus of Quarterback Talent?

Jakob

In recent years it has become a glaring issue that the NFL is starting to lack elite players at the quarterback position, and sadly, I spent a lot of time thinking about that. Some say it's college not producing the right style of QB and some say it's the "play it safe" GM's who sign the Brock Osweiler's of the NFL world to huge contracts. Regardless of what you believe, I like to think about what the quarterback landscape might look like after the 2020 season.

It's not far-fetched to assume that most of these following quarterbacks will be retired or considering it by the end of the 2020 season.

Tom Brady (44)

Drew Brees (43)

Josh McCown (42)

Eli Manning (41)

Carson Palmer (41)

Phillip Rivers (40)

Ben Roethlisberger (39)

Aaron Rodgers (38)

Alex Smith (37)

Joe Flacco (37)

Matt Ryan (36)

Let's play devil's advocate and say ALL of these players have retired. The elite QB's still playing would look something like this.

Matt Stafford (34)

Kirk Cousins (33)

Cam Newton (33)

Russell Wilson (33)

Tyrod Taylor (33)

Carson Wentz (29)

Marcus Mariota (28

Jared Goff (27)

When you put it on paper it looks like at least 20 teams will be looking for a new franchise QB in the next 4 years, unless you believe in the likes of Case Keenum and Paxton Lynch. How many franchise QB's can the draft produce over the next 4 years? Do we have more drafts like the ones that produced Eli, Ben and Phillip or will we soon see an NFL where only 12 teams have serviceable quarterbacks?

I wanted to keep this short because I'm more interested in hearing what you guys think will happen, instead of what I think will happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived