• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If this doesn't make you vegan or pescetarian I don't know what will

Snake

Harvard Medical

Q. Does eating eggs really increase your risk of a heart attack?

A. From what we know today, here's the bottom line: for most people, an egg a day does not increase your risk of a heart attack, a stroke, or any other type of cardiovascular disease. No more than three eggs per week is wise if you have diabetes, are at high risk for heart disease from other causes (such as smoking), or already have heart disease.

This is definitely not what I was told by my parents, nor by my medical school professors. Back then, we knew that egg yolks had lots of cholesterol, and we knew that high levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol in the blood increased the risk of cardiovascular disease. So it seemed logical that avoiding cholesterol in the diet made sense.

Since then, however, research has shown that most of the cholesterol in our body is made by our liver-it doesn't come from cholesterol we eat. The liver is stimulated to make cholesterol primarily by saturated fat and trans fat in our diet, not dietary cholesterol. But a large egg contains little saturated fat-about 1.5 grams (g). And research has confirmed that eggs also contain many healthy nutrients: lutein and zeaxanthin, which are good for the eyes; choline, which is good for the brain and nerves; and various vitamins (A, B, and D). In fact, just one large egg contains 270 international units (IU) of vitamin A and 41 IU of vitamin D. One large egg also contains about 6 g of protein and 72 calories.

Most things in moderation.  

I have yet to see any documented evidence that the vegan or pescatorian, or whatever fad is the hip thing these days, is significantly better than the most things in moderation style.  And I am 54, don't take any heart medication.   

On 5/24/2018 at 11:13 PM, cookinbrak said:

People in France and Italy live for 100 years drinking, smoking, and blowing livestock. Nobody lives forever. Look at the dude that told people that they were fat on "The Biggest Loser" being all healthy right into a heart attack.

Do the livestock enjoy it?  :)

On a related note, heard this on the radio today.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/21/health/eggs-heart-disease-study/index.html

Eating an egg a day may lower your risk of cardiovascular disease, a study of more than 400,000 adults in China suggests.

Daily egg eaters had an 18% lower risk of dying from cardiovascular disease, which manifests as heart attacks and strokes, compared with adults who avoided eggs, according to the research published Monday in the journal Heart.

Of course, as with  everything, I take it with a grain of salt, but just goes to show that there are conflicting stories about healthy vs not healthy.

10 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

On a related note, heard this on the radio today.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/21/health/eggs-heart-disease-study/index.html

Of course, as with  everything, I take it with a grain of salt, but just goes to show that there are conflicting stories about healthy vs not healthy.

eat 20 eggs a day, what changes everything is the processed foods. like sausage. and the sugars we eat. 

Eat eggs and broccoli for clean running digestive system, and everyone will know....

6 hours ago, The Pieyed Piper said:

eat 20 eggs a day, what changes everything is the processed foods. like sausage. and the sugars we eat. 

Eat eggs and broccoli for clean running digestive system, and everyone will know....

I have pretty much given up sugar, which was hard because I love a morning pastry.  I do splurge once a week with some pastries or something of that sort, but usually the only sugar I get now is thru fruit.  

I don't think eating 20 eggs a day is good for you. :)    I occasionally have a couple, usually scrambled and cooked in a non stick pan with no oil.  Actually breakfast is usually some plain yogurt (no added sugar), a plum or a banana, some grilled chicken or turkey, and water.  And eggs about every other day.  

54 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I have pretty much given up sugar, which was hard because I love a morning pastry.  I do splurge once a week with some pastries or something of that sort, but usually the only sugar I get now is thru fruit.  

Once you give up sugar for an extended period of time when you do have some you can really feel the effects on your body. I’ve eliminated most of it from my life about 8yrs ago

Soda is absolutely disgusting to me, if I’m allowing my son to have one I can’t take more than a sip.

Sugar is the one thing I say we will look back on in 20yrs as nation and say WTF were we doing.

Like you DD I too will splurge on a nice pastry or Pan Dulce maybe 1-2 a month and a cappuccino.

On 5/30/2018 at 10:37 AM, Davidson Deac II said:

I don't think eating 20 eggs a day is good for you.  

yeah, cancer is attracted to sugar. Gotta cut out as much as possible.

The US government...and P&G tricked people into thinking cholesterol was/is bad for you. yes, too much is, but they changed the way America cooked when they introduced Crisco. and now we have alzheimers...

http://criticalhealthnews.com/health-news/coast-to-coast-appearances-audio/292-audio-dr-joel-wallach-on-coast-to-coast-am-november-30th-2016

Archived