• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton is “just working on my accuracy”

Saca312

8 hours ago, mrknowitall said:

but I think Cam could easily complete 64-67% of his passes if that was something he was interested in doing. 

so your saying he's not interested in completing 64-67% of his passes ??? and if he can as you say he is capable of doing but isn't interested in doing, then if what you say is true, then Cam isn't interested in doing his best.  He should be interested in and want to be completing as many passes as possible,  Do you want a player on your team that's not interested in doing his best ?

9 hours ago, Perry Rich said:

so your saying he's not interested in completing 64-67% of his passes ??? and if he can as you say he is capable of doing but isn't interested in doing, then if what you say is true, then Cam isn't interested in doing his best.  He should be interested in and want to be completing as many passes as possible,  Do you want a player on your team that's not interested in doing his best ?

I think Cam is interested in winning. I don’t think he cares how he gets the win; he just wants the win. He attempts a pass about 30 times a game. He completes about 18 of those on average. Which is approx 60%. If he just threw and completed 6 more passes (all within zero to seven yards of the LOS), his completion percentage would jump to 67% per game. But that wouldn’t necessarily lead to more wins. 

It would make his stats look better. It would raise his passer rating. But instead he rushes for seven yards. Or he gives the ball to Stew. Or he picks up 30 yards with a line drive that hits his receiver between the numbers.

Completion percentage is an arbitrary stat. We want a way to measure performance so we pay attention to statistics, but completion percentage in and of itself does not determine accuracy.

Tom Brady passed for more than 500 yards in this past Super Bowl, but he only completed 58.3% of his 48 attempts. Was he just inaccurate that game, or do you think that low completion percentage was do to the fact that he only targeted his running backs 10 times, while reserving 38 of his targets for his wideouts downfield? You wouldn’t call him inaccurate. And you also wouldn’t try to argue that he didn’t care about playing his best. You’d simply steer the argument away from his completion percentage. You’d focus on the 500 yards. Or the fact that he didn’t have an interception. Or the 3 touchdown passes.

The media only focuses on Cam’s completion percentage. Not the 26 touchdowns he accounted for last season. Not eleven wins. The not fact that we’re regularly top ten in first downs per game and time of possession. Not how many times per season he gets the defense to jump offsides with his cadence. He plays his best, he just plays a different style than everyone else. 

Mitch Trubisky, Andy Dalton, Carson Wentz, Blake Bortles, Brett Huntley, Russell Wilson, Carson Palmer, Eli Manning, Jay Cutler, Marcus Mariota, Jared Goff, Philip Rivers, Tyrod Taylor, Derek Carr, Dak Prescott, Jameis Winston, Joe Flaco, Ben Roethlisberger, Kirk Cousins, Matt Ryan, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Stafford, Tom Brady, Josh McCown, Alex Smith, Case Keenum, and Drew Brees are all the qualified QBs from last year who had a higher completion percentage than Cam.

Only four: Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, Case Keenum, and Carson Wentz led their teams to MORE wins than Cam.

Cam is unique. He plays differently and wins differently than any other quarterback in this league. 

Personally, I think he’s as accurate as at least 75% of the QBs in the NFL. Only 6 qualified passers completed even 65% of their passes last season anyway. But in the big scheme of things, what does that even matter? Only 11 QBs threw for more touchdowns than Cam. And probably only six or seven accounted for more touchdowns overall than Cam. Newton is a different animal. Forget about whether he's accurate or not. He wins. The Panthers have been competitive each of the last three or four years. 

Cam is one of the best in the league. 

11 hours ago, Perry Rich said:

why what he said was true. Cam is a subpar QB, always has been, although i will give him credit, he did grow a bit during the super bowl season. He did totally bust the fumble play in the bowl. you pay a man 20 million a year to help win the bowl, its not unreasonable to expect him to go after and try to recover HIS own fumble in the biggest game of his life

Would someone please post the gif of the infamous super bowl fumble? 

Watch it twice. The first time pay attention to Cam. At the end of the footage, see if Cam is on his knees, in the scrum, trying to recover the fumble. 

The second time you watch it, pay attention to Mike Remmers in the background. 

6 hours ago, mrknowitall said:

I think Cam is interested in winning. I don’t think he cares how he gets the win; he just wants the win. He attempts a pass about 30 times a game. He completes about 18 of those on average. Which is approx 60%. If he just threw and completed 6 more passes (all within zero to seven yards of the LOS), his completion percentage would jump to 67% per game. But that wouldn’t necessarily lead to more wins. 

It would make his stats look better. It would raise his passer rating. But instead he rushes for seven yards. Or he gives the ball to Stew. Or he picks up 30 yards with a line drive that hits his receiver between the numbers.

Completion percentage is an arbitrary stat. We want a way to measure performance so we pay attention to statistics, but completion percentage in and of itself does not determine accuracy.

Tom Brady passed for more than 500 yards in this past Super Bowl, but he only completed 58.3% of his 48 attempts. Was he just inaccurate that game, or do you think that low completion percentage was do to the fact that he only targeted his running backs 10 times, while reserving 38 of his targets for his wideouts downfield? You wouldn’t call him inaccurate. And you also wouldn’t try to argue that he didn’t care about playing his best. You’d simply steer the argument away from his completion percentage. You’d focus on the 500 yards. Or the fact that he didn’t have an interception. Or the 3 touchdown passes.

The media only focuses on Cam’s completion percentage. Not the 26 touchdowns he accounted for last season. Not eleven wins. The not fact that we’re regularly top ten in first downs per game and time of possession. Not how many times per season he gets the defense to jump offsides with his cadence. He plays his best, he just plays a different style than everyone else. 

i agree that cam would rather have the win vs a higher completion percentage... but that wasn't the way what you said earlier came across... sounded like you were saying cam could make better throws if he wanted to so i was saying then why doesn't he... and yes, there is other aspects to a QB... we were just talking about one aspect.... but being accurate is a pretty big aspect … id rather have a better passer than runner... that being said, i think cam is a great athlete but a so so QB with accuracy  issues … but like everyone else on here, its just my opinion, that's all 

5 hours ago, mrknowitall said:

Would someone please post the gif of the infamous super bowl fumble? 

Watch it twice. The first time pay attention to Cam. At the end of the footage, see if Cam is on his knees, in the scrum, trying to recover the fumble. 

The second time you watch it, pay attention to Mike Remmers in the background. 

ive seen it, he may have gone to his knees in the end, but initially, Cam backed up to get away from the ball and let other people go after his on fumble. asked why later by the press, Cam answered in general that he was scared he might get hurt. if hes so scared hes going to get hurt he needs to step down and let someone play that's willing to go for the ball in the Super Bowl !!!

35 minutes ago, Perry Rich said:

ive seen it, he may have gone to his knees in the end, but initially, Cam backed up to get away from the ball and let other people go after his on fumble. asked why later by the press, Cam answered in general that he was scared he might get hurt. if hes so scared hes going to get hurt he needs to step down and let someone play that's willing to go for the ball in the Super Bowl !!!

You’re assuming that he backs up to get away from the ball. All we know is that in a split second he takes a step back. It could’ve been because he was worried about his knee getting rolled on (which is what he said), it could’ve been because he realized he needed to get at the ball from a different angle, it could’ve been because he lost track of it amongst all the bodies. But the idea that he didn’t TRY to recover it is false. That was all I was getting at. 

cam-fumble-full.gif?w=1000

Also... I don’t think he backs up at all. 

Here’s the infamous play presented from a different angle. One that’s not as easy to find. Does it still look like Cam is jumping away from the ball? Because to me it looks like he’s sidestepping Ware while falling to his knees in an attempt to recover the fumble. Trai Turner does a similar thing. And Mike Remmers (who got beat by Von) sees Cam fumble and walks off in the other direction. 

1 hour ago, mrknowitall said:

You’re assuming that he backs up to get away from the ball. All we know is that in a split second he takes a step back. It could’ve been because he was worried about his knee getting rolled on (which is what he said), it could’ve been because he realized he needed to get at the ball from a different angle, it could’ve been because he lost track of it amongst all the bodies. But the idea that he didn’t TRY to recover it is false. That was all I was getting at. 

cam-fumble-full.gif?w=1000

Also... I don’t think he backs up at all. 

Here’s the infamous play presented from a different angle. One that’s not as easy to find. Does it still look like Cam is jumping away from the ball? Because to me it looks like he’s sidestepping Ware while falling to his knees in an attempt to recover the fumble. Trai Turner does a similar thing. And Mike Remmers (who got beat by Von) sees Cam fumble and walks off in the other direction. 

well he could get his knee rolled on any play, its part of the game, which is also one reason they justify make millions yearly is because they run the risk of getting hurt, well if they are getting paid to take the risk. take it... as far as the other players, by the time they realize there is a fumble, they are too far away and already out of the play... in short cam did make an attempt but a sorry attempt, he should have dove in to get the loose ball … he didnt.. sad showing 

1 hour ago, redbuddha said:

Maybe his offensive coordinator could have called plays to stop his offensive lineman from getting beat like a drum. Maybe he was depressed because he was getting hit so much he knew one more hit might put him in concussion protocol.

dont try to blame it on the Coordinator, or that he was depressed, or that the moon was in the wrong place... if he was scared of another hit, why play the rest of the game ? He could get hit every play he's out there... maybe it was the whole teams fault for beating the Cards in the Championship game to get them to the bowl in the first place... you can try to spin it any way want but it dont change the fact that when it counted, Cam wussed out and a lot of people rather make excuses for him than admit it

Archived