• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Special Teams Improving?

Michael G

A lot was made of the Running Game, Defense, and OL play this past week and the obvious improvement in their play vs ATL. The Special Teams play was pretty good as well. I was calling for Chase Blackburn's job a couple of weeks back. I'm glad to see things are looking up. I hope this group can continue to impact games for us in a positive way.

- Zane made all 4 FGs including 51 and 57 yarders (57 is his new career  long). He hit his lone XP and kicked the ball into the end zone on all of his kickoffs. He seems to be improving week to week.

- New Punter Lachlan Edwards averaged nearly 44 yards a punt. Why that's not elite by NFL standards its a heck of a lot better than the kid we had last week. It is also Better than our injured starter Charlton who averaged only 39 yards a punt through the first 5-6 games.

- Ameer Abdullah and Alex Erickson are playing decent as our returners (Nothing astonishing but they're not hurting us). They make good decisions and catch the ball cleanly.

- Our protection has been better (No blocks)

- Our coverage has also been pretty good (ATL had one decent punt return and we got most of it back because of a holding penalty or block in the back)

If our special teams can continue to play this well, Our D stays healthy, and our offense protects the ball- we might win more games than we lose the rest of the year and be in the hunt for a wildcard spot. Hopefully this becomes consistent and isn't just a fluke performance! 

Edited by Michael G
  • Pie 5