• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stewart is a liability

Lt Pinkerton

You're missing the point megadeth. All his saying is Stewart shouldn't be splitting carries on an even 50-50 with Williams. What he's trying to say is Williams should get the carries about 65-70 percent of the time instead of an even 50-50 with Sterwart. Yeah he gets it, the less Delhomme passes, the more carries Williams gets, but he's saying Williams and Stewart shouldn't be splitting carries on an even 50-50....especially when Williams is having a great day.

I understand his point. I'm clearly saying that I disagree. You know, it's called a counter argument....

If Delhomme has less pass attempts, than Deangelo would have had a lot more carries. Notice I said Deangelo. He wouldn't have 71 more carries than Stewart on the season if they were "splitting" carries, now would he? One game where they have a close amount of carries and we're suddenly feeding them the ball evenly forever...

The OP wants Deangelo to have more carries period. I offered him a simple solution that gives him more carries, but he'd rather emphasize his point that Stewart doesn't deserve his carries because of average play in one game, while ignoring his performance throughout the season. I'm saying there really is no need to sacrifice Stewart's touches when you can take attempts away from the poo passing game. It's called killing two birds with one stone, or is that metaphor too complicated?

b-b-but he haD a 3.58 avg on teh thurSday. OMguh takke awAy carriess nao!

Haha I know right?

People this is reason we have Stewart to use him. Deangelo benefits alot from having him here and keeps him fresh. Deangelo can usually get a 100 yds or more a game in 15 carries or less. That's a hell of alot better then 25+ carries a game. We don't need to run him into the ground and turn him into Larry Johnson.

Another chicken/egg arguement. Would Williams maintain that average with more carries or does he maintain that average because some of the wear and tear gets passed on to Stewart?

Williams averages 6.6 ypc in the 1st quarter but only 3.4 ypc in the 4th.

His average for his first 5 carries of the games is 6.8 ypc

for carries 16-20, his average drops to 3.2 ypc

His average does spike again on his first carries of the second half but overall, it looks like he starts to wear down a little. AND that's with the current sharing with Stewart.

Great post. Having a backup like Stewart has helped DeAngelo out TREMENDOUSLY. Not having to carry the load all the time and being able to take yourself out of the game without hurting the team is a big bonus for #34.

Stewart is too talented to have less carries. He's a beast.

funny you say that- my kid just asked me what I was typing and I told him what this thread was about.

He asked why they take DWill out of the game, I said; because we have 2 good running backs.

He said; 28's not that good, he is sorta good"....

i DIDNT even say stewart's name-

funny a 8 year old can be honest.

He doesnt realize how good stewart is, but he is smart enough to notice that he hasent been as good as williams.

That's why I started watching more and more Panthers games, just because of the terrible duo of Williams and Stewart. I don't think this league has a better duo of fantastic RBs like the Panthers have.

Stewart is just fantastic. I like him because whenever you need him to pound the rock, he does it! And Williams I think, enjoys having Stewart as his back up!

You're missing the point megadeth. All his saying is Stewart shouldn't be splitting carries on an even 50-50 with Williams. What he's trying to say is Williams should get the carries about 65-70 percent of the time instead of an even 50-50 with Sterwart. Yeah he gets it, the less Delhomme passes, the more carries Williams gets, but he's saying Williams and Stewart shouldn't be splitting carries on an even 50-50....especially when Williams is having a great day.

I don't think that is what he is saying. Right now, Williams is getting 62% of the carries, with Stewart getting around 38% (after discounting a few reverses, some Delhomme scrambles, and a handful of carries by goodson and sutton and the fullbacks). What he is saying, and what I totally disagree with is that Williams should be getting 80-90% of the carries. IMO, that would wear Williams down and make him less effective at the end of the season, as well as shortening his career.

Stew is a pounder with speed. He is the kind of back that needs to pound defenses until he breaks one. I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to let Stew get more carries in the beginning of games with a little Dlo sprinkled in. Then in the 2nd let Dlo run through defenses. IMO Stew would be Steven Jackson-like if he were to get 15 carries or more a game, backs like that need to establish a rythm.

Archived