• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ellis Williams, charlotte Observer Draft OT write up

raleigh-panther

Usual top 4 suspects but he also mentions the Tulsa OT Tyler Smith as a later rd 1 option rising up the draft board 

http://The Carolina Panthers need a tackle in the 2022 NFL draft. These are the 5 best https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article259152703.html

The Carolina Panthers need a tackle in the 2022 NFL draft. These are the 5 best

BY ELLIS L. WILLIAMS

[email protected]

1 day ago

Following the 2019 season, the Cleveland Browns desperately needed to reshape their offensive line. 

Coming off a record-setting rookie season, quarterback Baker Mayfield regressed in Year 2. Many blamed the offensive line, and for good reason. Under a new head coach (Kevin Stefanski) and general manager (Andrew Berry), the Browns remade their offensive line in one offseason. 

Cleveland selected Alabama tackle Jedrick Wills at pick No. 10. In free agency, Berry made Jack Conklin the highest-paid tackle. The Browns paired Wills and Conklin with three in-house linemen they valued in guards Joel Bitino and Wyatt Teller and center J.C. Tretter. Cleveland then hired longtime offensive line coach Bill Callahan and immediately became a top-five offensive line unit.

Carolina can use a similar blueprint and remake their offensive line in one offseason. With tackle Taylor Moton, versatile second-year lineman Brady Christensen and a veteran offensive line coach (James Campen) already in place, the Panthers are not far off. 

Like the Browns of two years ago, the Panthers would have to select a first-round tackle to follow Cleveland’s road map. They should have some options at pick No. 6. Here’s an updated look at the top tackle prospects after interviews and position workouts from the NFL Scouting Combine.

1. Ikem Ekwonu, NC State

Biggest combine takeaway: Ekwonu should be the No. 1 overall pick.

The 2022 tackle class is reminiscent of the 2020 group that featured Andrew Thomas (No. 4, Giants); Jedrick Wills (No. 10, Browns); Mekhi Becton (No. 11, Jets); and Tristan Wirfs (No. 13, Bucs).

“It’s a class that could be just as good,” the Draft Network’s Ryan Fowler said. “We saw Wirfs and Wills take a little dip this fall in play, but projecting (Evan) Neal, Ekwonu, (Trevor) Penning. (Charles) Cross and (Tyler) Smith, that’s five legit No. 1 tackle guys who’ll have an immediate impact.” 

Thomas, Wills, Becton and Wirfs were all Day 1 starters. This class should produce four or five immediate starters, and it starts with Ekwonu. 

The tape tells most of Ekwonu’s story. He’s mauling and dominant at the point of attack as a run blocker. Fowler said Ekwonu is the best blocking tackle he’s seen in years. Several scouts I spoke at the NFL combine agreed. One scout described the 6-foot-4, 320-pound tackle as someone who plays with “hate in his heart” but is a great person off the field. 

To nitpick, there were times when he overstepped defenders this year. That gives rushers a two-way go. He must make sure he stays square in his stance. Sometimes he gave up the short edge to speed guys. He can correct that by staying square at the line of scrimmage.

Ekwonu started all 12 games this past season at N.C. State and should be the draft’s No. 1 selection. 

2. Evan Neal, Alabama

Biggest combine takeaway: Likely won’t be available at No. 6.

Neal did not work out at the combine. He’ll take the field March 30 at Alabama’s on-campus pro day. That does not change a growing consensus of Neal as tackle No. 2. His three years at Alabama ensure he’ll enter the NFL with sound technique and refined hands and feet. 

At 6-foot-6 and 360 pounds, Neal is the largest top 5 tackle. This past season he lost 15 pounds in a switch from right tackle to left. On tape, he looked leaner and quicker than his playing weight suggests. Neal possesses position flexibility from initially starting at guard before becoming a tackle at Alabama. 

He needs to improve as a run blocker. He tends to get too narrow when blocking downhill, which makes him top-heavy and often puts him on the ground.

Fowler said Neal has a higher floor than Ekwonu, and it won’t surprise anyone if he’s Jacksonville’s selection at No. 1. What would surprise me is if he’s available when Carolina picks at No. 6. The Panthers should “sprint” to the podium if he is, Fowler said.

3. Trevor Penning, Northern Iowa 

Biggest combine takeaway: His stock keeps climbing.

In his most recent mock draft, NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah pinned Carolina with Northern Iowa tackle Trevor Penning at No. 6. At first that seems high, but it’s become clear that Penning’s stock is skyrocketing following stellar performances at first the Senior Bowl and then the combine. 

Coaches love these nasty interior maulers,” Fowler said of Penning. “He goes to Mobile and he’s throwing (rushers) into Desmond Ridder’s legs. He’s pushing people five yards back ... Getting to know Trevor throughout his draft process as well, he just flips a switch when he’s in between the hashes from the person that he is off the field.”

Watching Penning at the Senior Bowl was a treat. He’s the type of nasty that teammates love and opponents despise. He’ll flirt with unsportsmanlike conduct penalties just to set a tone. He’s long and uses his strong hands to win inside early. At 6-foot-7 and 320 pounds, his size is pro-ready. 

We’ll see if that style of intimidation works at the pro level. I would not select him at No. 6, but I’m in the shrinking minority. 

4. Charles Cross, Mississippi State

Biggest combine takeaway: He’s the most athletic tackle in the class.

Scouts are all over the place on where Cross will land. Some see him as the No. 1 pick, while others told me he could fall out of the top five. One scout said Cross has better tape than Penning. 

He played last season at 285 pounds. There’s a good chance his best football and body composition are ahead of him. He demonstrates sound body control and technique but lacks a mean streak when compared with Penning. 

Cross is arguably the best pass blocker in his class but needs to improve in the run game. 

“I think he has some work to do in his run game, and moving vertical,” Fowler said. “He’s athletic, probably the most athletically gifted tackle in this class. I don’t want to try to compare him to the Trent Williamses of the world, but everything starts at the lower half for tackles. He has excellent footwork.”

Fowler said he’s not concerned about Cross’s 307-pound frame. At 6-foot-5, he has the length to combat smaller, faster edge rushers. 

5. Tyler Smith, Tulsa 

Biggest combine takeaway: Smith will be a Day One pick.

“Smith is by far the nastiest player in this class and the nastiest player I have ever studied on film,” Fowler said. “He wants to staple you to the turf and, when the play is over, come back and put his fist through your mouth. I’m not even kidding. This guy is I mean.” 

Read that again and then remember his name. NFL scouts are trying to keep Smith their secret. It isn’t working. By draft day, I expect Smith to be the fifth tackle selected. 

If the Panthers trade back, then Smith would be an ideal selection in the teens or 20s. Fowler suggested that an ideal scenario for Carolina is trading back for a quarterback, recouping an early second-round pick and praying Smith is there on Day Two.

• Pie 2