• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Can someone explain how the Falcons can win the division?

Ashor

I don't understand the NFC South division race right now. If we lose to the Saints and the Falcons win against the Rams, how do the Falcons win the NFC South? What tie breaker do they have over us? We have more points for and if we do lose to the Saints, we will have the same division record and the same overall record. Our head to head is 1-1 so how will they win the NFC South? I'm confused on that one.

I believe they will have a better conference record than us by 1 game which would give them the division.

this is incorrect. If we lose and they win, we both have the same 3-3 division record. We are currently 3-2 in the nfc south, they are 3-3. So read this for the rules

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).

Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.

Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.

Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

Strength of victory.

Strength of schedule.

Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.

Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.

Best net points in common games.

Best net points in all games.

Best net touchdowns in all games.

Coin toss

this is incorrect. If we lose and they win, we both have the same 3-3 division record. We are currently 3-2 in the nfc south, they are 3-3. So read this for the rules

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs

Strength of victory.

Strength of schedule.

Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.

Coin toss

We'd be 7-5 and they'd be 8-4 given that we lose and they win.

Two Clubs

Strength of victory.

Strength of schedule.

Coin toss

So, if record versus common opponents supersedes conference record, where does ATL have us beat? I know they beat the Vikings who we lost to, bu we beat Denver who they lost to. We would have both split with Tampa and the Saints. I guess this tie-breaker would then be moot, causing the conference record to come into play.

We'd be 7-5 and they'd be 8-4 given that we lose and they win.

it would be our loss to the vilings and their win against the vikes that would put the dagger through our heart. lets hope we just come out and play solid defense. I think our offense will be ok. Our D has been giving up a lot recently, especially our run D, Im not talking about just the giants game,

So, if record versus common opponents supersedes conference record, where does ATL have us beat? I know they beat the Vikings who we lost to, bu we beat Denver who they lost to. We would have both split with Tampa and the Saints. I guess this tie-breaker would then be moot, causing the conference record to come into play.

Denver is in the afc, vikes are nfc, tie breaker comes down to record against nfc teams, we would be at 7-5 with a loss and if atl wins they would be at 8-5, atl would win the division

here is a better question.....How can the Carolina Panthers somehow be invisible to the AP and the Falcons be the second coming of Jesus Christ?

The press is giving the same attention to Miami....two teams that sucked last year and are going to the playoffs this year :rolleyes:

Archived